Winter Driving and tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sleves2

Reaction score
In Edmonton here. I too decided to go with studded Hakkapalitas. Got them in 315/70/R17. Only way to go if you live in winter 6 months of the year!

I'm living in eastern Quebec and the Nokian seems to be the best option available in stock size. Brandin10, how are the studded on dry road or asphalt? I am debating between getting them studded vs non-studded...

Ironwood

Reaction score
I’m in Atlanta and had to look up this “snow” word you guys keep using. I do remember now. Anyway, all the professional reviews I read before purchasing my 18 said that the truck did well in this snow stuff. Those guys all seemed to love the KO2s in the snow, except the guy in the link below that got it stuck. The writers blamed him though, not the truck or the tires.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...ptor-stuck-in-snow-video-drive-on-nbc-sports/

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The people that got butt hurt are not pushing their trucks, more like follow the herd. That’s fine if you don’t have the skill or experience, it’s safer for everyone if they just fall inline behind the Prius with all seasons with flashers on. If you turn off all of the ******** nanny features and actually drive your truck these oem tires are garbage.
What tires would you recommend ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question. How would the Hakk's do when it comes to light off roading? I like to coyote hunt during the winter and I spend several hours each weekend in the winter on gravel and dirt roads and in/out of corn and soybean fields.

They would do just fine. I spend a decent amount of time in Iowa on my parents farm doing just that. I’m driving through bean/corn fields and dirt/gravel roads. My favorite is jumping the small terraces, this is with the Nokians.

I would not be excited to navigate mud, but other than that I feel comfortable navigating all other winter elements.

Stubborn3

Reaction score
We actually run the KM3 mud terrain and they are much nicer in snow and ice than the KM2s I have on my bronco. I think there is a lot to be said for learning to drive your vehicle in weather and learning it’s weaknesses. Plus there is a weather mode that makes our 605hp truck feel like a sheepish and careful 4Runner so use the technology to help out when necessary. That’s what it’s for right?

BendSprinter

Reaction score
I'm living in eastern Quebec and the Nokian seems to be the best option available in stock size. Brandin10, how are the studded on dry road or asphalt? I am debating between getting them studded vs non-studded...

My Nokians only have @ 2k miles so not sure how they will wear but so far really quiet/great on the dry road. I am ready to take them off when winter relaxes because I am tired of driving so gently. One thing people forget is that you have to drive differently if you want them to last. I’m ready to put on the KO2s and start mashing the fun pedal again.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finally someone who knows what they are talking about and has some common sense. Thank you.

I guess there is a reason why my friends LX 570 with Nokkia snow tires blows my raptor away in the snow.
I am coming from a ‘15 GMC Sierra 6.2 w/ 4x4 which I ran 33” general grabber arctic studded snows 275/60r20

The BFG KO2s are decent in winter weather & better than and all season & probably one of the best “all terrain” tires in winter weather.

All that being said- as I’ve mentioned on countless forums since I always run snows on my vehicle whether it’s a RWD sport sedan, 2wd beater truck or a monster like the raptor- there is NOTHING that comes close to running studded snows on a lifted 4x4 truck. You quite literally can drive through snow/ice packed blizzard ridden roads like it’s normal out. When you’re taking a turn in the raptor in 4hi on packed/icy snow even at slow speeds on the stock tires sometimes you'll steer & the wheels will turn but the truck doesn’t, then you gotta give some throttle to get the front wheels grabbing, but w/ a truck w/ so much power like the raptor the next thing you’re doing is jacking the wheel in the other direction to over correct.

I will be getting studded snows on my raptor next year, gonna Be awesome- 4wd drift this ****** all over the place. Passing highway plows @ 60 in 4hi mid blizzard like a boss.

If you haven’t driven a truck or a “real” AWD car like an Audi or subie w/ snows/studded snows then don’t bother w/ a stupid ignorant comment cuz you have no idea what I’m talking about.

To put in perspective however the difference/delta in performance between all season/all terrain tires vs. dedicated snows is greater (significantly so IMO) than the difference between using slicks or DRs @ the track in a vette vs. “all seasons” or “performance summer” tires.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

Brandin10

Reaction score
They’re fine on dry pavement. You can’t here the studs unless the window is down. There quieter than the stock BFGS

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to chime in... My 2nd winter with my '17 Raptor. Last night, I was not impressed with the handling in snow. We got @12" of snow here in Upstate NY yesterday and it's been quite cold - low teens. I was all over the place last night - was in 4A and using snow mode; Also tried 4H. Stopping was downright scary.

So, I think I'm in the corner that the stock tires just aren't that great on snow. Now I have 18K miles on them which likely doesn't help. I might have been better off taking my wife's Explorer Sport with Blizzak's. Of course I would much rather drive my Raptor!

Next winter, I think dedicated snows for me presuming I stay with the Raptor. Good info in this thread!