GEN 2 Will aftermarket exhaust void my factory warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone here has any first hand experience with for with regards to a factory warranty.

Want to do an aftermarket exhaust and am curious if it would void my 3/36 factory warranty?

Any input would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It *should not*, but dealers will find anything to void a warranty. You would then have to fight to prove aftermarket parts didn't cause the problem. It's just messy with warranty.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a borla cat back S-Type installed for the last 20k miles and the only thing the dealer said to me about it was that it sounded bad ass [emoji1745]‍[emoji3603]

OP
OP
Vintabu

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It *should not*, but dealers will find anything to void a warranty. You would then have to fight to prove aftermarket parts didn't cause the problem. It's just messy with warranty.

Yes I could certainly see that! I have a very good relationship with my local ford dealer so maybe I’ll ask them. Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
Vintabu

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a borla cat back S-Type installed for the last 20k miles and the only thing the dealer said to me about it was that it sounded bad ass [emoji1745]‍[emoji3603]

Yeah so I’ve heard great things about the borla stuff. Was thing about the Awe 2FG honestly. How much was your borla?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
well... First things first.
if it’s just a cat back, about the only thing you really affect is sound. However... You are tampering with the emissions system. Should you have an emissions related failure; that is, a component of the vehicle that is explicitly called out in the manual as an emissions component, yeah... they could legally tell you to fix it yourself on your dime.

Now, I am not aware of anyone having trouble with a power train, electronics or other system not covered as a result of a simple cast back or similar exhaust. Not to say it hasn’t happened, just that I haven’t heard of it.

What if you suffer a busted catalytic converter at some point, can they void your emissions warranty and not cover the cat under warranty? That seems to be a stretch to me, but who really knows.

In all likelihood, it’s a pretty clear situation that mufflers downstream of the cats aren’t causing an emissions failure. I can’t envision a mechanic or service advisor trying that one out. it’s just... kooky.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah so I’ve heard great things about the borla stuff. Was thing about the Awe 2FG honestly. How much was your borla?

I think it was around 1200-1400 if I remember correctly. It’s loud especially when starting in the cold

OP
OP
Vintabu

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well... First things first.
if it’s just a cat back, about the only thing you really affect is sound. However... You are tampering with the emissions system. Should you have an emissions related failure; that is, a component of the vehicle that is explicitly called out in the manual as an emissions component, yeah... they could legally tell you to fix it yourself on your dime.

Now, I am not aware of anyone having trouble with a power train, electronics or other system not covered as a result of a simple cast back or similar exhaust. Not to say it hasn’t happened, just that I haven’t heard of it.

What if you suffer a busted catalytic converter at some point, can they void your emissions warranty and not cover the cat under warranty? That seems to be a stretch to me, but who really knows.

In all likelihood, it’s a pretty clear situation that mufflers downstream of the cats aren’t causing an emissions failure. I can’t envision a mechanic or service advisor trying that one out. it’s just... kooky.

Wow! Thanks for breaking it down for me!

So I’m not the most mechanically inclined individual but I understand what you’re saying w emissions.

I’m planning on doing the AWE 2FG because I want something moderate.

If I were going to go all out it think I would do the full corsa.

I’m just not a big fan of my supertruck sounding like civic w a fart can

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just not a big fan of my supertruck sounding like civic w a fart can

You will want to look at every option available before you spend the time and money for this. There have not been many happy reports when people change exhaust on this. Many go back to stock because they didn't like the louder version of what they had.
Suggestion - listen to the 2019 F150 Limited which has the same engine, same exhaust layout, but is done differently to keep the exhaust noise down, and turbo sound up.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I could certainly see that! I have a very good relationship with my local ford dealer so maybe I’ll ask them. Thanks for the input!

Do it in a e-mail and save it if they say it's ok

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk