Why would oil show up by oil cap or AFE intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I really think this is not a good setup, that drivers side hose is way to close the TB.
It's sucking up oil because it's too close to where the tube narrows creating a venturi affect.
The Driver's side is meant to supply air to the crank case.
And the passenger side is for vacuum.

I would call up AFE and complain or at least get an explanation.

You can always move that one hose closer to the air filter, with some tinkering.

So, you are saying that the AFE stage two CAI is built poorly and everyone who has it (tons of folks here) should be having this problem?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No not saying that,
but there are more than a few pics showing the same thing on this forum.
My thinking is, this is why people are putting catch cans on both sides.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No not saying that,
but there are more than a few pics showing the same thing on this forum.
My thinking is, this is why people are putting catch cans on both sides.

Perhaps I'm a bit behind on this issue then, but that sure makes it sound like a design flaw to me. I still don't get how this oil is coming OUT of this breather tube though, but I assume it's also getting sucked into the air intake (probably in tiny amounts).

I've been poking around for more information on this with little success so far, but I probably need to address this.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I never added clamps to mine, with building a house and moving I just forgot all about it. I am going to go today to get some hose clamps as well as find my stock oil cap too and see if that helps any.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never added clamps to mine, with building a house and moving I just forgot all about it. I am going to go today to get some hose clamps as well as find my stock oil cap too and see if that helps any.

Mine has had clamps from day one... and you see the result.

I emailed AFE a few days ago with no response yet. I'm betting I won't get one. I'm a bit disappointed.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Mine has had clamps from day one... and you see the result.

I emailed AFE a few days ago with no response yet. I'm betting I won't get one. I'm a bit disappointed.

I got mine used so goes to figure. Hell I had to change out the coupler that goes from TB to intake tube when I noticed it was literally falling apart. Piece I have now is a much better one.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got mine used so goes to figure. Hell I had to change out the coupler that goes from TB to intake tube when I noticed it was literally falling apart. Piece I have now is a much better one.

Hrm, mine was brand new. Nothing about it appears sketchy at all.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I just put my stock oil cap on and installed worm clamps to both hoses on AFE pipe. Cleaned all oil off my valve cover and AFE pipe as well. Will report back any issues.

Oil was on on the bigger tube of the AFE, belive it's the PCV tube.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just put my stock oil cap on and installed worm clamps to both hoses on AFE pipe. Cleaned all oil off my valve cover and AFE pipe as well. Will report back any issues.

Oil was on on the bigger tube of the AFE, belive it's the PCV tube.

AFE never responded to me. Not impressed.