Why does my truck shift in third?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A hesitation on the 3-4 shift when cold is a normal characteristic. The F clutch apply circuit drains down after a cold soak, so it takes a second to refill when it is applied to engage 4th gear. The F clutch is also applied in Reverse, so if you engage reverse for a few seconds it will prefill the apply circuit and minimize the 3-4 hesitation.
Thanks interesting! In my case, it’s not even a shift. If I manually select third, it will do it midway through the rev range even if I dont click the paddle into 4th. It’s very subtle.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The search engine sucks ass, it’s the slowest way to find anything here. It have you tried it? You push it like you get paid for it, and while I’m at it you response sucks too, you took the time to respond but gave no information. It seems like you just like to post to get your numbers up. How about you just help people while you are getting your post count up.
Yeah, screw that Nex guy!! I read on the interweb that he gets $2 every time someone does a search on this forum! WTF?

OP
OP
C

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What conditions, light acceleration, wot, etc.?
I believe it’s both, it almost feels like third gear has some weird intermediate clutch. I’ll take a video on my drive home today. When I was at raptor assault the truck I had did it too. I assume all trucks exhibit the same behavior but you really have to pay attention.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I believe it’s both, it almost feels like third gear has some weird intermediate clutch. I’ll take a video on my drive home today. When I was at raptor assault the truck I had did it too. I assume all trucks exhibit the same behavior but you really have to pay attention.
Leaning in torque converter lock up. My Duramax felt like it had 7 gears cause of this

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
The search engine sucks ass, it’s the slowest way to find anything here. It have you tried it? You push it like you get paid for it, and while I’m at it you response sucks too, you took the time to respond but gave no information. It seems like you just like to post to get your numbers up. How about you just help people while you are getting your post count up.

I offered a fix but ok. And who cares about post count? You still in the 3rd grade?

Lol relax it’s only Tues. I’m running the goose juice and it does the same thing before and after tune. This is something else.

No mention of tune in your original post. That is useful information when asking for help. I felt a clunky shift before Goose but not after. Have you had the dealership check your fluid level? Any other power mods?

tbf the search function here kinda blows.

Been trying to find a few things and its been fun

I use the search function a lot. Maybe I am just as broken as it is so it works for me?

:shrug:

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I offered a fix but ok. And who cares about post count? You still in the 3rd grade?

No mention of tune in your original post. That is useful information when asking for help. I felt a clunky shift before Goose but not after. Have you had the dealership check your fluid level? Any other power mods?

I use the search function a lot. Maybe I am just as broken as it is so it works for me?

:shrug:
Upping your 2 dolla post count again, I see

Last edited: