Transmission shift issue on first drive of the day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
I have a weird shifting issue that only seems to be present on the first drive of the day. The issue is always that when I first get going the 5th gear shift is messed up. It seems to hang trying to shift into 5th gear and after a second or so catches itself and everything is fine. Normal acceleration it does it where it causes the truck to jerk, doing it on a hard acceleration is when it's the worst and about puts you into the dash. Either way it feels like the truck goes into neutral before it makes it into 5th and it seems to slowly be worse. Again it only does this on that first drive/shift, after that it never happens again, even if I park the truck and don't drive it for hours. Next day it does it again.

Truck has the most recent trans firmware which fixed the stock hard shifting in every other gear. I have a Gearhead engine and trans tune, but even going back to stock the problem persists so it's not a tune issue. Truck is at 55k so I still have powertrain warranty and will be making an appt here soon. Figured I would see if anyone had any insight. Didn't find anything that sounded like this issue on the forums.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I -think- that @FordTechOne has mentioned this previously, and I’ll attempt to paraphrase. There’s a bunch going on while the transmission is still cold and it’s programmed to get warmed up before going into the normal ‘drive’ strategy.

I believe all the 10r80’s do this and it’s SOP. Let the transmission warm up a little longer before getting on it.

2019 scott

Reaction score
Try this: before you drive the truck, shift it into and fully engage reverse gear, you don’t need to drive backwards, just fully engage reverse gear,then proceed to do your normal drive and see if it still messes up. Let me know if that fixes the issue.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've tried that. I usually remote start it and let it run before I go anywhere. Mainly to cool the interior down cause it's ******* 100 degrees outside. Doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

Are you sure it’s on the 4-5 shift? A hesitation between 3rd and 4th on the first drive of the day is a normal characteristic, but that’s the first I’ve heard of a hesitation into 5th.

Whenever you clear the adaptive tables via a reprogram or otherwise, the adaptive relearn should be performed. Here the link to the procedure:

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried that. I usually remote start it and let it run before I go anywhere. Mainly to cool the interior down cause it's ******* 100 degrees outside. Doesn't seem to make a difference at all.
Remote start does absolutely Jack to warm up the transmission. You gotta be moving to get the internals and fluid moving.

OP
OP
Drgonzo3000

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Are you sure it’s on the 4-5 shift? A hesitation between 3rd and 4th on the first drive of the day is a normal characteristic, but that’s the first I’ve heard of a hesitation into 5th.

Whenever you clear the adaptive tables via a reprogram or otherwise, the adaptive relearn should be performed. Here the link to the procedure:

Yeah positive it's the 5 shift. I'm out in the country so me leaving hre house is the same every day as far as driving. Only time it doesn't do it is the random time it decides to do a 4-6 shift and skip 5th all together.

First time I have heard of their being a relearn procedure, which is kind of funny for a supposid "Adaptive" transmission. Steps don't really make since as it states to flush the tables, then drive to get everything to temp.... So it's going to store the data from the drive getting the truck up to temp. The whole process of driving to pre-populate data into the adaptive tables makes no sense really. Especially when you going to populate it with driving data that doesn't match how you actually drive. Data is going to change overttime as you drive and this relean data will get dropped out so why not just drive it normally to let that data populate instead of going through this whole process. Sorry I'm a software engineer and this relearn logic makes no sense.

Remote start does absolutely Jack to warm up the transmission. You gotta be moving to get the internals and fluid moving.

Can't warm it up driving it cause that's when it occurs, and once warmed up it doesn't do it anymore. Fluid in the trans is moving when the engine is running as the pump runs right off the engine. So fluid is circulating and not static when in neutral.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah positive it's the 5 shift. I'm out in the country so me leaving hre house is the same every day as far as driving. Only time it doesn't do it is the random time it decides to do a 4-6 shift and skip 5th all together.

First time I have heard of their being a relearn procedure, which is kind of funny for a supposid "Adaptive" transmission. Steps don't really make since as it states to flush the tables, then drive to get everything to temp.... So it's going to store the data from the drive getting the truck up to temp. The whole process of driving to pre-populate data into the adaptive tables makes no sense really. Especially when you going to populate it with driving data that doesn't match how you actually drive. Data is going to change overttime as you drive and this relean data will get dropped out so why not just drive it normally to let that data populate instead of going through this whole process. Sorry I'm a software engineer and this relearn logic makes no sense.

The TCM knows the transmission temp, it’s not going to start learning until the transmission is warmed up. The entire point of the adaptive relearn is to set base values; from there is can adapt to your driving style.

Can't warm it up driving it cause that's when it occurs, and once warmed up it doesn't do it anymore. Fluid in the trans is moving when the engine is running as the pump runs right off the engine. So fluid is circulating and not static when in neutral.

The fluid is simply being pumped around in the transmission without any load, which does not create much heat at all.

SmokieRiver

Reaction score
Mine did the exact same thing going into 5 gear for months this year (like April until a few weeks ago). It recently went away (or unnoticeable currently). I did have my cam phasers done in early Aug, so may be the transmission relearning fixed it?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try this: before you drive the truck, shift it into and fully engage reverse gear, you don’t need to drive backwards, just fully engage reverse gear,then proceed to do your normal drive and see if it still messes up. Let me know if that fixes the issue.
I tried it . When cold that weird 3 to 4 shift in sport mode is gone . Putting in reverse must put fluid in some diffrent circuits . Crazy