Which seats for my 2020 Raptor? Recaro or black leather?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s help with the color choice of the truck...I’m going with VB.

Now on to the seats. I’m a lifelong cheapskate on the one hand. On the other hand I can afford to spend some additional $$ on seats for the 2020.

Black leather seats. I really like the way that the black seats look, except for the honeycomb trim on the sides. The seats on my 2018 are better looking with the grey trim. Comfort...I do two 1,500 mile drives Minneapolis to Terlingua and reverse each year. The 2018 Raptor black leather seats keep me comfy, even compared to the long string of Volvos that I’ve driven for most of a million miles. So I know that the black leather seats work for me.

Blue Recaro seats. I finally sat in these two weeks ago. These seats are more comfy to me than the black seats. When I went back and forth between the two at the dealer, the Recaro seats made my rear feel the happiest. I don’t really care for the blue alcantra, nor do I particularly care for the “carbon” trim. If my rear was the decider, it would choose the Recaro seats.

Now I need to make the decision on the seats...dealer says that I’ve still got several weeks to decide.

Question 1...which seats should I get in the 2020 Raptor?

Black: better looking to me, less expensive, not quite as comfy but certainly adequate.

Blue: more comfy, more expensive, comes with the carbon trim bits that I wouldn’t buy on their own.

Question 2...the Recaro seats feel a bit deeper to me? Is this the case? My wife is on the short side with short legs...she is AOK in the 2018 black leather seats though.

Question 3...I’m in lots of dust...does the alcantra hold up well in the dust? Meaning will it clean up OK compared to the black leather?

Let me know what you guys think...thanks!

Last edited:

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2017 and quite like the leather seats. That said, I've sat in a 2019 with the 'leather' seats - the cloth bolsters are much less comfortable than my leather ones are.

If I were to get a 2020, I'd get the recaros. They are more comfortable than the base option, and definitely hold you in more at the track (I rode in a friend's for 8 miles, definitely hold you in better).

Eli Fleece

Reaction score
I just bought a new 19. Like u, i had no intentions on the carbon package, the recaros weren't really in my crosshairs either due to extra $$$. HOWEVER, my truck just happened to have the recaros and once i sat in them, test drove, tested the cool and heat functions vs the regular black ones..... I WAS 100% SOLD!

Like u said, to my bottom they were more comfy, the ventilation felt like it flowed better IMO, and honestly think they look nicer and compliment the interior nicely. Esp with the blue stitching throughout.

As far as how they hold up, i cant say much since mine is only 3 months old but first thing I did was spray them with protectant I had from Chemical Guys for alcantara/suede. I also have a little brush to clean em with if needed. But honestly, they have been relatively maintenance free and look great with no signs of wear so far. Only thing I'll say is dog hair can be a bit of a pain but is manageable.

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the black in my 2019 because I have 2 toddlers and think the leather will hold up better than alcantara. Not sure if thats a factor in your decision. Generally alcantara doesnt wear well over time but its yet to be seen with these seats since they are fairly new.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s help with the color choice of the truck...I’m going with VB.

Now on to the seats. I’m a lifelong cheapskate on the one hand. On the other hand I can afford to spend some additional $$ on seats for the 2020.

Black leather seats. I really like the way that the black seats look, except for the honeycomb trim on the sides. The seats on my 2018 are better looking with the grey trim. Comfort...I do two 1,500 mile drives Minneapolis to Terlingua and reverse each year. The 2018 Raptor black leather seats keep me comfy, even compared to the long string of Volvos that I’ve driven for most of a million miles. So I know that the black leather seats work for me.

Blue Recaro seats. I finally sat in these two weeks ago. These seats are more comfy to me than the black seats. When I went back and forth between the two at the dealer, the Recaro seats made my rear feel the happiest. I don’t really care for the blue alcantra, nor do I particularly care for the “carbon” trim. If my rear was the decider, it would choose the Recaro seats.

Now I need to make the decision on the seats...dealer says that I’ve still got several weeks to decide.

Question 1...which seats should I get in the 2020 Raptor?

Black: better looking to me, less expensive, not quite as comfy but certainly adequate.

Blue: more comfy, more expensive, comes with the carbon trim bits that I wouldn’t buy on their own.

Question 2...the Recaro seats feel a bit deeper to me? Is this the case? My wife is on the short side with short legs...she is AOK in the 2018 black leather seats though.

Question 3...I’m in lots of dust...does the alcantra hold up well in the dust? Meaning will it clean up OK compared to the black leather?

Let me know what you guys think...thanks!

From doing a 2020 Build on the Ford website it appears that you only get Ventilated Seats with the Recaros. Does anyone know if thats true? If so, that would be a deal breaker for me for the black leather seats.

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From doing a 2020 Build on the Ford website it appears that you only get Ventilated Seats with the Recaros. Does anyone know if thats true? If so, that would be a deal breaker for me for the black leather seats.
Recaros are heated and cooled. And a major step up. The seats are amazing, and the carbon fiber is great But it’s the little things that make the package complete. Blue stitching around the car. Metal vent sidings and center console. It classes up the interior a ton and I came from a 2017. Have had people who have the new ram and bmws all comment approvingly. Hell I would rank it above my old Macan.

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Heated/ventilated seats come standard with either the Recaros or the black leather with the 802a package. Not sure about the lower trim levels

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the black in my 2019 because I have 2 toddlers and think the leather will hold up better than alcantara. Not sure if thats a factor in your decision. Generally alcantara doesnt wear well over time but its yet to be seen with these seats since they are fairly new.

Yeah that's why I didn't get them. That, and I didn't really care for the color/look. I would never buy alcantara seats or steering wheel. Looks and feels cool, and I love it on headliners or other areas that don't see much wear, but it doesn't hold up well at all to daily wear. Maybe Ford's will be different, but if so, it would be the first I've heard of long-wearing alcantara.

Yeti Rojo

Reaction score
After sitting in both it was no contest for me, the Recaro's were MUCH more comfortable. I had the alcantara treated with Opti-coat's fabric protectant because I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

I have no regrets about the decision.

Raptor916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recaro all the way. You have a special truck and the Recaros make the interior on par with the outside.