Where to begin... IWE noise? rat damage? oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2018 SCREW Last week I noticed an intermittent subtle grinding noise from my front wheels. It almost sounded like the brakes squealing a little when they are barely engaged. The noise seemed to occur when accelerating or decelerating at low speeds. I took it to a local recommended mechanic to look at the brakes since the truck now has about 45k miles. It has never had any mechanical issues or accidents. The mechanic said the brake pads looked fine and he didn't know what the noise was. He suggested I take it to the dealer. I had him change the oil and rotate the tires while I had it there.

After doing some research, I felt like the problem was most likely due to the IWE system. I ordered and replaced the vacuum check valve assembly (did not replace solenoid). The problem continued. After driving it around and around the neighborhood to try and figure out the timing of when this happened, I realized it was only happening after making a hard right turn. I looked at the vacuum hose that connects directly to the IWE and saw that there was a little crimping and line damage around a zip tie that could be the source of my leak. I ordered and replaced this tube. It did not fix the problem. I decided I should order a vacuum gauge to see if I actually have a vacuum leak or if it is something else.

I opened the hood to look over all of the vacuum lines this afternoon. I had not done this in daylight previously (was using flashlight at night). To my horror, I noticed some damage to the foam engine cover that looks to me like rodent damage. There were also some little pieces of paper towel near the firewall that made me think something was trying to nest there. I took the foam cover off to see if there was any other damage visible. I saw one other area of foam that was damaged between the intake and the engine proper. I don't know if this was from the possible rodent or was already there. I then noticed some oil pooled by one of the bolts on the engine cover. It is close enough to the oil fill cap that I suspect it was spillage from the oil change but I'm not sure how it would make it over there since the foam engine cover was in place during the oil change.

With all that said, I guess my questions are:

1. Does that look like rodent damage? Has anyone else seen anything similar?

2. Does the oil look like it's leftover from the oil change or could it be a leak?

3. Any thoughts on the noise from the front after making hard right turns?

Thanks for any opinions. They are much appreciated.PXL_20210205_202325170.jpg PXL_20210205_202440364.jpg PXL_20210205_202444951.jpg PXL_20210205_202553384.jpg

AndyB

Reaction score
If it's the IWE vacuum leak, running in 4A will silence the problem. Try that first.

The oil looks like a spill. Clean it up and see if more appears. It's a small amount so it's not going to be a big issue in the short term.

I smell a rat! Are you sure it's not field mice? Squirrels? I opened up the hood of a Jeep Patriot (I know, I know) and found all of the spark plugs and plenums filled with Capn' Crunch cereal. Busy mice, but I figured they have to eat something to keep that motor moving.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question maybe but what’s the underside of the hood look like. A hard right turn will make the motor shift left and if I’m looking at that pic right, the left side of the highest part of the cover is what’s damaged.

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. I'd clean up the oil and check again in a couple weeks. It could be a cracked valve cover.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rodents and probable oil leak on the valve cover. I believe there is a tsb on the valve covers depending on the production date.

OP
OP
Reaction score
I appreciate the replies.

I probably use the word rat loosely. It certainly could be mice. I drive almost every day so hopefully they aren't setting up shop.

Yep I cleaned the oil up and will certainly keep a close eye on it.

It goes in and out of 4wd just fine. Due to the normal noise inherent in turning while in 4wd, I would have a hard time picking this noise/vibration up.

Thanks for the heads up on the valve cover tsb. I will check it out.

Fortunately I'm only out 50 bucks in parts at this point. I am going to get a vacuum tester next. There is a tsb for the IWE on raptors through 2018 which I have been working through, though I'm still not convinced it isn't something with the brakes.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks again for the advice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If it's the IWE vacuum leak, running in 4A will silence the problem. Try that first.

If it’s caught before damaging the plastic bits.

I didn’t see where you actually put the vacuum gauge on, but the 4a test is worth trying too. Windows down if you can, everything in the cab off so you can hear. maybe pull up the drivetrain / traction gauge and ‘give it the beans’. then do your hard right turn, etc. Keep in mind you might be hearing the cv joints protest.

I’m not encouraged by the rodent damage. They got to my ZX10r race ecu last winter. I went to go out for a ride this spring and it sounded like a VW with a fouled plug. I needed a shop, some of the wiring was way smaller than I’m used to and I was convinced I’d need a harness. Fortunately not, and it wasn’t too bad - Under 350 and I had gift cards. I was out of there for like $70 bucks.

I’ve heard horror stories of some Rap owners, so my current garage is rodent purgatory. if you listen closely, you can hear their muffled cries for help.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have rodent poop all over my engine cover. Luckily they haven't chewed through anything yet. We have a fig tree that's probably saving my truck. Looks like they carry the figs to the truck and feast in the warmth of the engine bay.

I don't think it's rats in my case, probably squirrels.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The noise could be your fender liner loose and hitting the tire, make sure its nice and tight under there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc