What you all do for snow tires/chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benny

Reaction score
I live in Mi & drive out to CO a lot in winter to snowboard, & the stock tires are fine for MI but I get in places that State law post I need chains or snow tires.
And last year I slid a bit on a steep inclined curve, So I have been looking into chains or tires that fit/keep tack true, To no avail. :ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You do not need chains or snow tires. Those notices you are seeing in CO are for Commercial Vehicles. I just moved out of CO so I know the rules.

Also when its VERY Very bad, which is rare they might require chains or snow tires on certain roads even for passenger cars but it excludes 4x4/AWD vehicles so you would still not need them.

OP
OP
Benny

Benny

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'd still like to know if anyone has a good snow tire that fits the rim, or a tire wheel combo that makes up the size of stock, or chains. Going up mountain in deep snow & ice is sorta of the point of my trips.
I know I want something better than the stock ones, The truck did do fine in the little slide, but I was creeping up. I was going up to Winter Park CO traffic was a bunch of break hitting ass riding fools, I slid about 3' right of truck, Real fast like, for the speed I was going.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

This would be Ideal if they fit.

Thule® - Ford F-150 1980-1989 K-Summit XXL Tire Chains

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Goodyear Duratracs work great in the snow and ice. Much better than the BFGs.

Yesterday in the snow I almost felt like I was back in Houghton. ORM on the truck and I had plenty of grip

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, as a Colorado resident still running the stock tires, I can tell you the truck does great in the snow as is. Snow is slick, ice is slick, our roads can get bad and tires are only going to do so much. The above post is correct - you don't need chains and I would never put them on this truck - those signs don't apply to 4x4s.
Now, that being said, Goodyear Duratracs are great snow tires. I'm considering going to them once I burn off my stockers. I went to them on my last truck and it was a drastic improvement in the snow. Two of my friends have since gone to them in different vehicles and reported the same.

OP
OP
Benny

Benny

Reaction score
They have a set that fits stock rims? And are they rated snow or all season tire? /Have the flake/MT emblem? I know I have looked at em last year but thought it was a no go.???

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

If you looked at the Thule link, Those would be the only chains I would use. Nothing go's around the back of the tire.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My D-tracs are on a stock rim, and I believe they are winter rated.

Talk to Scott at Jack Demmer Ford, tell him Carl sent you over. That is where I got my tires last December

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Learn how to drive the Raptor in the snow..

Single press on traction control (sport mode) allows you to burp the tires and clean them off. It doesn't restrict 100% of wheel spin like full traction control.

Leave locker off, this will only cause you to push through corners or slide the rear end.

Off road mode off (some like it some don't) I find it too aggressive on the street with shifting and high rpms.

Use the massive 3 ton weight to your advantage, keep momentum going up hills.

Use tow/haul mode since it allows for greater engine braking and less brakes.

The Raptor is a swiss army knife it can do amazing things as long as you don't defeat the technology.

Oh yeah Duratracs are great winter tires (damn near year around tires) for the Raptor.. They are good in every driving condition until you push their limits (deep snow, deep mud, high speeds)

-Greg (aka Squatting Dog)

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, as a Colorado resident still running the stock tires, I can tell you the truck does great in the snow as is. Snow is slick, ice is slick, our roads can get bad and tires are only going to do so much. The above post is correct - you don't need chains and I would never put them on this truck - those signs don't apply to 4x4s.
Now, that being said, Goodyear Duratracs are great snow tires. I'm considering going to them once I burn off my stockers. I went to them on my last truck and it was a drastic improvement in the snow. Two of my friends have since gone to them in different vehicles and reported the same.

Agree. Just went with the duratrac tires from 50k on my stock bfgs. I did snoball pre run and the snoball500 last year with the bfg. I liked them. This year I did the prerun in the duratracs. Same predictability and confidence in the snow covered roads but better performance in the 15" deep stuff.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com