What tires would you run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just because some street tires from a particlar brand were no for you years ago has no bearing on wheter or not an AT tire they sell in 2023 is any good.

I love my Nitto Ridge Grapplers and would buy them again. However, the Nitto drag radials that were on a used set of wheels I bought were literally the worst tires I've ever driven on. They were so rough it was crazy. I don't know if they had thrown a belt or what, but they were horrible.

I was hesistant to get the Nitto RGs due to that past experience with the Nitto DRs, but I'm glad it didn't stop me.

Last edited:

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the jenny im running the cooper xlt at3s, E rated, but not that much stiffer than the C K02s.
Pretty quiet so far with 5k miles on them, balanced at worst with 3.5ozs and hook up pretty well on dirt. Rain seems better than the k02s, but i dont really try to spin them in it.

Brother ran nitto grapplers on his gen 1 and he wasnt a fan, said they sucked in rain, on my ranger my NGs hooked up well, same tread so dunno.

Sparty30

Reaction score
Nitto grapplers were good offroad, especially on the higher speed stuff we got into in the UP but I agree they are terrible on road in the rain.

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
I’ve had several different tires over all the vehicles I’ve had. The K02 was a pretty weak tire without any grip in mud. Right now I have Toyo Open Country M/Ts and I love them. They keep up with KM3s all day long and are cheaper too. I’d vote Toyo MT or Nitto ridge grapplers.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
My truck is my daily driver. It only sees light off-roading. I need something that handles good as a dd but can also perform off-road. I was not impressed with the ko2 tires on my wrangler. I have kn3 tires on my bronco but those don’t do well in the rain here in Seattle.
Falken AT3/W are fantastic! I have them on my wife's Jeep Cherrokee Trailhawk and liked them so much I put them on my Raptor. Pacific Wheel post below is spot on! They are 3 mountain peak rated and are superb in rain and look great.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Falken AT3/W are fantastic! I have them on my wife's Jeep Cherrokee Trailhawk and liked them so much I put them on my Raptor. Pacific Wheel post below is spot on! They are 3 mountain peak rated and are superb in rain and look great.
They're also heavy. I had them on my Wrangler and decided against them for the Raptor.
If you don't care about overall weight then they're a good option.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They're also heavy. I had them on my Wrangler and decided against them for the Raptor.
If you don't care about overall weight then they're a good option.
They used to be really heavy. All the new part numbers are much lighter. But if you compare a AT3W 35x12.50R17 to a BFG 315/70R17 there are a few things to look at.

BFG 315/70R17 = 34.4" (but more like 34"), 15/32's tread depth and 64lbs
BFG 35x12.50R17 = 34." (but still runs small), 15/32's and 66.4lbs
Falken = 34.8", 19/32's tread depth and 68.8lbs

So roughly an inch bigger, .25" deeper tread and only 4.8lbs more per tire. With that said I think the 4.8lbs (or 2.4lbs for the 35) is a fair trade. And I personally think the Falken AT3W out performs the BFG in rain, snow and mud. BFG may get the edge on dry dirt with the softer compound but that also contributes to how much more quickly they wear.

I promise I have no affiliation with Falken lol. We don't even sell tires for what it's worth. But after having many different tires. AT3W is my go to.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I considered the AT3Ws when I got my RGs, but I've always considered Falken tires to be bottom end tires in general. I knew they were realated to Sumitomo, who also made cheap tires for years. I guess they've gotten better
Wiki says:
"Falken Tire is a brand of passenger car, light truck, and medium truck tires owned by the Japanese company Sumitomo Rubber Industries (SRI). It was launched in its native country of Japan in 1983, and was introduced to the North American market two years later and in Europe in 1988. Falken has now become a stand-alone brand that focuses on UHP (Ultra High Performance) products while utilizing professional motorsports to further develop and improve products for worldwide distribution.

Sumitomo Rubber North America, Inc., formerly known as Falken Tire Corporation, is the corporate headquarters in Rancho Cucamonga, California, with a West Coast distribution center in Ontario, California. Additional Falken Tire distribution locations include warehouses in Illinois, Florida, New Jersey, and Texas.

In June 2015, Sumitomo and Goodyear announced that they would dissolve their worldwide partnership. As part of the deal, Sumitomo bought Goodyear Dunlop Tires North America, which included a manufacturing plant in Tonawanda, near Buffalo, New York. The plant, rebranded as Sumitomo Rubber USA, began to produce Falken Tire-branded tires in January 2016"

Nitto is owned by Toyo for those who don't know.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@EricM

I get that. I used to be a Toyo/Nitto only customer but after having Toyo RT's, AT3's and Nitto RG's I tried Falken's for the winter. We had a couple bad winters and I needed better snow/ice traction. Never turned back after that winter. They don't balance nearly as easily as Toyo/Nitto and I would recommend Road Force ride match for anyone that gets Falken's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter