What the heck does Off Road Mode do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Cub - the explanation of the ORM and other tricks came in a supplementary manual with mine. Sounds like Ford didn't give you one, you should check with your dealer and see if they can't provide one for you.

OP
OP
C

Cubdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I appreciate all the help. I wish I had the supplementary manual that would make things a little esker.

Kind of funny that after fastening your seat belt you then need to turn off the traction control in order not to get yourself killed. I had just taken delivery of the truck and didn't know anything about it. The roads were snowy and I pulled out in front of a semi and got on it, well I freaked out because the Traction Control kicked in and it fell on it's face & damn near got me killed. So now I make sure I turn it off as soon as I get in it.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I appreciate all the help. I wish I had the supplementary manual that would make things a little esker.

Kind of funny that after fastening your seat belt you then need to turn off the traction control in order not to get yourself killed. I had just taken delivery of the truck and didn't know anything about it. The roads were snowy and I pulled out in front of a semi and got on it, well I freaked out because the Traction Control kicked in and it fell on it's face & damn near got me killed. So now I make sure I turn it off as soon as I get in it.

The traction control sure has its down falls but has its good things too. Couple weeks ago in a near by town someone was driving new 11 f-150 with eco boost in it turned TC off and got on it trying to pass and sent it sideways into a rail and the rail is the only thing that stopped him from going into the river. Less then 50 miles on truck. Anywho if he left TC on it would have shut his power off before he could destroy the brand new truck.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
It saved me so many times from loosing it in the snow and ice on the roads. It was slicker than crap and most of the roads have ditches on both sides. It gets the power to the proper wheels and keeps me from understeering and wont let me slide in corners.
When the bilzzard hit I had to drive 35 miles to work right in the hardest point. I had a divided highway from my town to the next. I got to the intersection to get on and one guy did a u-turn to go the same way as me. He got about 500 feet and slid off the road. I could only max at 25mph the whole time. I turned the trac off, 2wd, and set the cruise so my speed wouldn't change since I couldn't tell how fast I was going. I started to go up a maybe 2degree hill. That was all a mistake as I quickly found out. I fishtailed so bad poo almost started to come out! I went back to 4wd, trac on, and cruise off.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Great thread!
Any idea why you have to slow down to 5mph to engage?? It seems like its all computer changes...