What parts of the truck are vulnerable to rock chips when offroading desert style?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking of having some clear put on my truck to protect the finish when offroading in the desert. I went by a place here in San Diego and they said they could basically do the entire rocker panel on both sides up to the impression in the door 8" above that for $150 a side.

They also said they could put a film on the windshield that would make it unbreakable by rocks for $300.

Thoughts?

TTOKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the windshield but the price for the sides is excellent. Like 300+ per side here.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've spent my fair share of time in the desert. My front is chip free. My rockers and sides are chip free. However, maybe from the top of the mirrors down about 10" in a band around the entire truck I end up with plenty of desert pinstriping (which comes out really well with a good clay wax and polish, by the way).

The only real protection I have addes is that I've basically armored the underside of the truck with skids from Hefty. I don't know if anyone else has gone that far, and honestly I don't really know if its necessary, but it sure makes me feel better when handling the occasional crawl, and when they ring at high speeds as the rocks smash off 'em.

YMMV.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep. As you know, these trucks are wide. Really wide. And if you take on something like the Mojave Road (highly recommended!) you'll almost immediately realize exactly what that means on the trail.

Jeeps are typically wide on bottom and narrow on top. We usually fit ok on the bottom but we don't taper like the cuts in the cacti and brush do, as made by those Jeeps. Hence, the striping.

Honestly Steve, don't let it worry you or stop you. So far all the striping has come out with a good clay wax and polish. Just plan on a little extra elbow grease after and enjoy the hell out of the thing during!

Last edited:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the jeep trails in my part (midwest) are short.. So most of my pin striping is on mirrors, the b pillars (on passenger side of course), and top of cab. As far as rock chips, none.. Big J is correct with underside protection.. There are a bunch of wires, sensors, and electrical bits to get snagged..

-Greg