What Oil/Filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swampfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the oil meets the viscosity ratings for the motor it really doesn't matter witch way you go as long as you pick one & stay with it & have it changed at a regular intervals. I ran motorcraft in my '94 Lightning for 9 years changing it every 5k miles. I'm doing a synthetic amsoil in my raptor now and it does just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm the 2d owner of my '14 SCab with the 6.2 L... Curious to hear what motor oil you guys running???

Previous owner ran Mobil 1 synthetic (in it now), I get ~15-18 city-hwy.

I have used Amsoil in a previous F-150 and it did seem to run quieter and improve power/mileage.

Castrol Synthetic? Motorcraft Synthetic?

Not typically operating in "extreme" environments... urban daily driving with occasional trips to the mountains, might tow a boat once in a while or take on ranch trails for elk in winter.
I run precisely what it says in the manual--down to the part number. Nothing else. Granted, there are two options in the manual: the Motorcraft synthetic blend and full synthetic. I run the blend. The critical component is keeping it clean. The more extreme your driving conditions, the more often you should change it.

Some folks spend enough money on oil to completely replace the engine every 100k miles. To each their own, but consider this: the guy that went the cheap route can buy a brand new engine at 100k miles; the guy running gimmicky oil and chainging it once a month has an engine with a 100k miles on it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Amsoil all the way. We are a dealer for them and extend their cost to our customers. If you would like a oil change kit or anything else, just shoot me a message and we can get you taken care of.

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

13raptorcrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run precisely what it says in the manual--down to the part number. Nothing else. Granted, there are two options in the manual: the Motorcraft synthetic blend and full synthetic. I run the blend. The critical component is keeping it clean. The more extreme your driving conditions, the more often you should change it.

Some folks spend enough money on oil to completely replace the engine every 100k miles. To each their own, but consider this: the guy that went the cheap route can buy a brand new engine at 100k miles; the guy running gimmicky oil and chainging it once a month has an engine with a 100k miles on it.

Exactly what I do. :happy107:

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score

Dam i didn't know you can buy a new 6.2 for $1700 dollars.

I will never change oil again.

Valvoline full synthetic and K n N oil filter. $43 every 2500 miles for 100,000 miles = $1720

Must be New Common core math

Last edited:

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair point. Didn't really expect to be taken that literally. Ford 6.2 long block is pretty expensive at around 5k. Crazy. But you can get brand new long block crate engines for around two grand or less. Just not a Ford.

Anyway... Motorcraft syn-blend will set you back about $30 for 7 qts, not counting filter. That's ~$480 at 100k miles changing it per the oil life light (around 6k?). That's still $1,200 savings at 100k miles. But like I said, to each their own. I was only trying to say there is no need obsess over it. Run what you feel like you need to run. But know also, the best option my just what the OEM calls for.

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
I was just being a ******* , and messing with you. Actually you can get a shortblock for $1800 from ford. It takes me 5 or 6 months to hit 2500 miles but it's hard miles. Walmart for oil and online for filters cheapest way to go.

Last edited: