What makes a Raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most glass looks like raptor stuff, not too many F150 specific glass. Especially one-pieces.

McNeil Racing 1 piece 2018-2020 F150.... Not a Raptor, its "The Poverty-Runner"

I built this 2011 F150 Coyote (that turns 7100 rpm) with Gen 2 spec shock top hats, FOX 3.0's front and back, Uni-ball uppers, SVT lowers, Method's, 37's, built posi with 4:88 gears etc etc etc
Might have $15k in it and better suspension than a G2.. Turned out pretty good.
Next year it will get caged and back-halfed as it can already out punt the safety factor when haulin offroad.

As an OG that has several real Raptors, I feel I am fairly well equipped to answer the question "What makes a Raptor" The 6.2, the electronics and ECU programming, the heavy steering and the heavy planted "feel" is what makes the Raptor a Raptor. You can add all the parts you want to a regular F150, but it doesnt "FEEL" the same trust me.

To me, you can build a truck that is as capable or even better than a Raptor, but for a production vehicle there is not one more capable.
The Raptor, specifically the G1 was built by SVT and was special. The G2 is a mass produced package and just doesnt have the same luster.

Cut3.JPG

g2 suspension.jpg

IMG_9075.jpg

P runner.jpg

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
McNeil Racing 1 piece 2018-2020 F150.... Not a Raptor, its "The Poverty-Runner"

I built this 2011 F150 Coyote (that turns 7100 rpm) with Gen 2 spec shock top hats, FOX 3.0's front and back, Uni-ball uppers, SVT lowers, Method's, 37's, built posi with 4:88 gears etc etc etc
Might have $15k in it and better suspension than a G2.. Turned out pretty good.
Next year it will get caged and back-halfed as it can already out punt the safety factor when haulin offroad.

As an OG that has several real Raptors, I feel I am fairly well equipped to answer the question "What makes a Raptor" The 6.2, the electronics and ECU programming, the heavy steering and the heavy planted "feel" is what makes the Raptor a Raptor. You can add all the parts you want to a regular F150, but it doesnt "FEEL" the same trust me.

To me, you can build a truck that is as capable or even better than a Raptor, but for a production vehicle there is not one more capable.
The Raptor, specifically the G1 was built by SVT and was special. The G2 is a mass produced package and just doesnt have the same luster.

View attachment 165031

View attachment 165033

View attachment 165034

View attachment 165035

I guess I didnt dig deep enough on that one. I like the F150 one piece, looks sharp.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You do realize that the 6.2 was available in regular F-150s and standard in ever Super Duty since 2011, right? It’s not an exclusive or high performance engine. If they had kept the 6.2 in the Gen 2, is would have been heavier, much slower, and less efficient. The 3.5 HO is a low production engine exclusive to Raptor, Navigator, and F-150 Limited (2019 & 2020 only).

SVT became Ford Performance. Same thing. There was no limit on production on Gen 1’s, they just sold fewer.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You do realize that the 6.2 was available in regular F-150s and standard in ever Super Duty since 2011, right? It’s not an exclusive or high performance engine. If they had kept the 6.2 in the Gen 2, is would have been heavier, much slower, and less efficient. The 3.5 HO is a low production engine exclusive to Raptor, Navigator, and F-150 Limited (2019 & 2020 only).

SVT became Ford Performance. Same thing. There was no limit on production on Gen 1’s, they just sold fewer.

I realize this is purely academic but I would like to see a race between a gen 2 with the 6.2 vs a gen 1 with the 3.5HO.
That is steel body with 6 speed and the ecoboost vs the aluminum body, 10 speed but 6.2. Or some variation of those configurations.

I know that it is the collective pairing of those items that makes the truck, but it would be cool to see what made the biggest difference. Whether the increase is broken down to 33% attributed to weight reduction (aluminum and possibly engine), 33% to transmission (10 speed vs 6 speed), 33% to power/torque increase and their respective curves.

Also would you happen to know the weight difference between the 3.5 with turbos, intercooler, etc to the 6.2? I know this has been talked about before but I can’t remember if it was ever determined.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That would be an interesting comparo. The Raptor EB made pretty decent power, not sure how that would have felt with the 6spd.

As for the weight difference, I think it was 500 lbs lighter for the G2 but most of that was from materials and not from the 6cyl TT.. I thought it was published one time that the 6.2 was only 40lbs more than the 3.5 with turbos/cooler etc

I can tell you this, the 5.0 truck I built is way lighter than both

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score

No limit on Gen 1 production?? Well that contradicts everything that SVT has ever stated.. lol

Why were there allocation windows for Gen 1 orders that opened and closed. If there was demand (which there always was) why would Ford cut off orders and fill them in the following series of runs?
I assume you work in the department in Dearborn and have some insight into this?

Last edited:

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
No limit on Gen 1 production?? Well that contradicts everything that SVT has ever stated.. lol

Why were there allocation windows for Gen 1 orders that opened and closed. If there was demand (which there always was) why would Ford cut off orders and fill them in the following series of runs?
I assume you work in the department in Dearborn and have some insight into this?

According to the data I've found, Ford tended to increase production when demand exceeded supply. That's why they built more of them each year until demand fell off and production was stopped at the 2014 model year. That said, I'm sure the dealers sold every Raptor they received for some price.

There are ALWAYS allocation "windows" (start and cutoff dates) for production vehicle ordering, especially for high-cost versions. All Ford dealers don't receive the same allocation of vehicles either, especially high performance versions. More vehicles go to the higher rated dealers and occasionally a dealer may receive ZERO of a high-demand performance model depending on their sales records and demographic area.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Dealer experience. Refer to @TwizzleStix post. Allocation is by dealer. There was never a time when you couldn’t order a Gen 1 due to maximum production for any given year being reached.

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool Truck! One major feature you cannot fake is the Raptor specific VIN Number. X1R and W1R are only used for indication of Supercab and Supercrew Raptor. This is a very cool thing in the OEM world, it pays respect to the vehicle inside an already super successful vehicle lineage. Cool manufacturing fact I guess.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
According to the data I've found, Ford tended to increase production when demand exceeded supply. That's why they built more of them each year until demand fell off and production was stopped at the 2014 model year. That said, I'm sure the dealers sold every Raptor they received for some price.

There are ALWAYS allocation "windows" (start and cutoff dates) for production vehicle ordering, especially for high-cost versions. All Ford dealers don't receive the same allocation of vehicles either, especially high performance versions. More vehicles go to the higher rated dealers and occasionally a dealer may receive ZERO of a high-demand performance model depending on their sales records and demographic area.

Thanks for the explanation.

Before I ordered my 13 (some time in 2012), there was still a phone and contact person in SVT. I actually called once to get some VIN and build info as I was not aware that you could do that online..l.ol
The nice chap I spoke with told me that they can only do so many runs on the truck, as scheduling an interuption on the regular F150 production was a challenge. This he stated was why they were limited in the amount that they could produce each year.

Im sure the dealer request and the time schedule ultimately created the limited availability.
Still, its a cool deal for sure. The truck I built is a fun capable truck that we beat mercilessly.. cause its not a Raptor..lol

Last edited: