What is the best way / jack to use to lift the truck for tore rotation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jack it on the front cross member. That's what the skidplate bolts to though, so unless it's off, that's not easy to do.

I have more than one jack, so I just jack it up under each front control arm if I want both off the ground. Easy peasy and you don't have to fight the huge suspension travel like you would if you were lifting from the frame/crossmembers.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a no-no to put the jack on the rear axle and lift. I lift one side (on the axel, 4-5 inches from diff), and put a jack stand as close to the spring clamp bolts as possible, then I go over to the other side and do same. Take off the rear tires, move the jack to the front, jack under the A arms one at a time. Swap tires and return to the rear axel to mount old front tires. Should I not jack on the axle?

I picked up the Harbor Freight floor jack several others recommended here. Was on sale for $177 but now back up to $209. Also got the 6T jack stands on sale; they’re now up to $50 for 2. Also picked up the jack stand pads.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...e-super-duty-rapid-pump-floor-jack-63183.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-steel-jack-stands-56368.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/rubber-pads-for-jack-stand-2-pc-63373.html

I did pretty much same as you with floor jack to axel near diff, just beyond the diff lip on the axel which you can see from the rear. Then placed jack stands adjacent spring clamp bolts. Rock steady when done. For the front just a matter of jack stand to frame then jack stands. Obviously chocks on any wheels still on ground. I always push the truck from side to side as hard as I can once I have it up to make sure it’s rock solid.

I didn’t put it under the diff just cuz the manual suggests not though I know it’s commonly done.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn’t put it under the diff just cuz the manual suggests not though I know it’s commonly done.

That's only in there for morons. Use your eyes and your brain and it's fine. Don't jack on the lip of the diff cover if it sticks down past the housing (which is not the case on a Ford 9.75 axle), and use a flat rubber jack pad on the cast iron housing to avoid concentrating the weight in one small point load like might happen with the typical "crown" style jack saddle.

BlkOvl

Reaction score
Helpful thread. Thanks all. I received a HF floor jack as a gift and thought one couldn’t be right for both my Raptor and my Cobra. At 80 lbs, I really didn’t want to return it though.

With the aid of a couple hockey pucks, my low profile unit can achieve the 24” of lift needed to keep the tires off the ground when lowering onto the jack stands. Golden.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
harbor freight

ive had 2 harbor freight low profile jacks go on me- started spewing out fluid just sitting on their own, added some but also had issues w/ em not engaging from lower to raise smoothly.

I wish I just bought something like a pro-eagle or a HD scissor jack type lift to begin with.

the OP or someone else saying they can’t spend $350 on a jack- man I thought the same thing, but sounds pretty dumb if you can’t spare $350
To properly (safely) jack up a $75,000 truck!!!

I also found that HF jack wasn’t sufficient had to add wood blocks, it’s just sketchy w/ a truck this size & you really need to get it up there w/ the long travel suspension & 35”s

I’m thinking about getting a HD quick jack, would come in handy esp on my vette as well.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good on mine as well but I do agree with the wood block, I do carry a 6x6 block and have used it a few times with no probs.

evoke35

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone once said if my business or life depends on harbor freight i should chose something else haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk