GEN 2 What else is in your garage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone Have a GT350???? or any one have exp. with them?

been eyeing them lately. big fan of the motor they have in them with that flat plan crank

tom wansor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

been eyeing them lately. big fan of the motor they have in them with that flat plan crank
I had one and put over 10k miles on it as my DD. Never had an issue with it and it was a lot of fun.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is The first post from you that I have seen that even remotely makes any type of logical sense and I agree with for the most part . Just from personal experience I don't enjoy vipers

I don’t think anyone enjoys Vipers. They are badass though, and there’s nothing like them.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

I've had 3 of them. (2 Rs and one regulargt350 that I turned into a track rat.)

They have to be driven hard, or the motor gets real unhappy.

The trans and rearend absolutely need coolers. If you buy a 16 with the comfort package, be prepared to add coolers.

They are the best performing track car for the least amount of money.

If I intended to still spend time on a racetrack, I'd get another.

lastly, you haven't lived until you bang through all 6 gears by taking that car to redline before each shift.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had 3 of them. (2 Rs and one regulargt350 that I turned into a track rat.)

They have to be driven hard, or the motor gets real unhappy.

The trans and rearend absolutely need coolers. If you buy a 16 with the comfort package, be prepared to add coolers.

They are the best performing track car for the least amount of money.

If I intended to still spend time on a racetrack, I'd get another.

lastly, you haven't lived until you bang through all 6 gears by taking that car to redline before each shift.

Best performing car for the least amount of money is still a used vette - C5 or C6, no engine failures, no oil starvation, no mods really needed (necessarily - although the skys the limit) to take a C5-C6 vette to a road course or HPDE drive the shit outta it & then drive it - not trailer it - back home. I do agree the GT350 is also one of the best bangs for the buck out there as well - especially on the used market (although they tend to hold value quite well) - I was never a Ford/Mustang guy, but there have always been a few I've been intrigued by - the 03-04 termi cobras & the 17+ GT350 w/ 5.2 voodoo @ the top of the list. Well when I went through a laundry list of cars taking on test drives while debating on messing around more w/ my current toy car (Z06) or "upgrading" to something different/more modern - the GT350 was one of the top cars I was interested in. After driving one 2x I was really enthralled w/ the handling - mind blowingly good especially considering my previous Mustang bias in that dept - I'd say on par w/ C5-C6 corvettes better than an M3 & close to the M2 I drove, & I obviously like the sound of the engine & the high redline...interior fit/finish little "meh" but layout nicer/more accommodating than a Camaro.

Since I am admittedly not a Ford guy, after test drives I put in a lot of research since it was one of the top cars I was interested in & one of the more expensive. Well.....shorten the story up for ya - I was too gun shy to pull the trigger after reading horror story after horror story in particular on GT350/GT500 specific forums where I was sure there was alot of knowledge & GT350 nerds, noisy/rattling shifter (which I thought was a first gen coyote 5.0 GT issue that was resolved already), outrageous oil consumption - like CRAZY CRAZY, & the real kicker - seized engines. Straight up dead. For a guy that can't help but mod his rides a little bit, the thought of catastrophic failure @ any time on a hand-built low volume flat pane V8 @ any point turned me away. The fact that 2 of the most common complaints I heard on the car popped up even on a C&D 40k mile review...well that sealed the deal for me personally. If you keep your cars mostly stock or don't intend on driving @ the track or really hard (which IMHO would be near impossible not to do all the time w/ the way this car sounds & pulls) - then go for it. I actually REALLY disagree on buying it if you WERE going to track it b/c of the fact the engine failures seem fairly common & Ford can be stingy w/ warranty claims.........another car I looked @ is the C6 Z06 which is also known to have a pretty much guaranteed (if you drive it long enogh) major engine issue w/ the valvetrain - gotta rework the valve guides/heads first & foremost for insurance - which if done aftermarket will probably void warranty too - in that particular car I didn't care as much as I know the rest of it is pretty much bulletproof & you can always swap out/upgrade heads port/polish get some other lil internal upgrades here/there & while at cam swap. But the valve guide/head job alone is around $2500-$3500 & then throw another $1000-$2000 for cam upgrade.

Bottom line - as tedious as it is, I've found it better to exhaust yourself on the forums ahead of time before making any "specialty" vehicle purchase especially.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23083757/2017-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-reliability-update-3/