GEN 2 What else is in your garage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoresman903

Reaction score
It’s GMs mic drop on the whole industry. When they drop the Z06/ZR1 variants there will be nothing left to talk about aside from the likes of the Aston 777, mclaren, Bugatti, sole Ferrari’s/Lambos & MAYBE a Porsche or 2....don’t look good for the eurotrash when they had issues keeping up w/ the C7 ZR1......

how do you like the tranny? This will most likely be my next vehicle purchase in next 2-3 years to go along w/ Raptor (or whatever truck) built to gills ol school C5Z, & wife’s SUV. I have started to LOVE how much they changed the platform/look

Tranmission is fine (particularly compared to my Raptor in Sport Mode when it randomly slams hard into 4th or 5th gear during only modest acceleration!). No issues of any kind with the C8.

Last edited:

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s GMs mic drop on the whole industry. When they drop the Z06/ZR1 variants there will be nothing left to talk about aside from the likes of the Aston 777, mclaren, Bugatti, sole Ferrari’s/Lambos & MAYBE a Porsche or 2....don’t look good for the eurotrash when they had issues keeping up w/ the C7 ZR1......

how do you like the tranny? This will most likely be my next vehicle purchase in next 2-3 years to go along w/ Raptor (or whatever truck) built to gills ol school C5Z, & wife’s SUV. I have started to LOVE how much they changed the platform/look

Yea because that wasn't said about every other vette when the Z/ZR1 lol.....The be The Z variants will be fast , faster than some exotics and it will be cheaper......and just like in every generation it won't matter because it you looking into an exotic you aren't shopping bang for buck.

Somehow this late in life you haven't realized that yet

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea because that wasn't said about every other vette when the Z/ZR1 lol.....The be The Z variants will be fast , faster than some exotics and it will be cheaper......and just like in every generation it won't matter because it you looking into an exotic you aren't shopping bang for buck.

Somehow this late in life you haven't realized that yet

I was much more referring to the fact that they went mid-engine, dual clutch, & the ZR1 variant possibly being hybrid AWD w/ electric motor driving front wheels...so you're kinda missing the point, regardless of price these cars are going to be so far ahead of the "competition" - you're right alot of poseurs who buy exotics don't actually give a damn about the performance credentials - they're in a ferrari, lambo, aston, mclaren for the badge & status. But, make no bones about it, the guys who got the $$$ for those cars AND are gearheads in their own right & like to actually USE THEM AS INTENDED - well, they certainly won't like getting lapped by a C8 @ englishtown. Not one bit.

This C8 is much MUCH different animal & its not fair to compare prior gens by saying "yeah the other high end vettes were fast too but doesn't matter bla blah" - NO it DOES matter, because they've essentially removed ALL the limiting performance factors that kept the car from not simply inching out exotics white knuckling @ 9.9/th's on a track fighting the traction starved light rear end or speed limited shifting of a traditional manual or TC auto and possibly adding AWD wouldn't just result in a performance car that fights above its weight class admirably & euro exotic fans begrudgingly admit its extremely fast/capable "for a vette" - nah, if they truly do what I'm talking about for the Z06 and/or ZR1 or some combo they won't be inching out GT4s & Aventadors, they'll be stomping em.

AMG & M cars won't even be in the discussion, period.

Watch

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 3 of them. (2 Rs and one regulargt350 that I turned into a track rat.)

They have to be driven hard, or the motor gets real unhappy.

The trans and rearend absolutely need coolers. If you buy a 16 with the comfort package, be prepared to add coolers.

They are the best performing track car for the least amount of money.

If I intended to still spend time on a racetrack, I'd get another.

lastly, you haven't lived until you bang through all 6 gears by taking that car to redline before each shift.

Thats what I was hoping to hear, honestly I won't hit but a few trackdays
(Had my fill of track days and racing on bikes) I'm ready for a nice decent fast car, this would make my first Shelby. I really like the fact of the 5.2 rpm range and sound.

Best performing car for the least amount of money is still a used vette - C5 or C6, no engine failures, no oil starvation, no mods really needed (necessarily - although the skys the limit) to take a C5-C6 vette to a road course or HPDE drive the shit outta it & then drive it - not trailer it - back home. I do agree the GT350 is also one of the best bangs for the buck out there as well - especially on the used market (although they tend to hold value quite well) - I was never a Ford/Mustang guy, but there have always been a few I've been intrigued by - the 03-04 termi cobras & the 17+ GT350 w/ 5.2 voodoo @ the top of the list. Well when I went through a laundry list of cars taking on test drives while debating on messing around more w/ my current toy car (Z06) or "upgrading" to something different/more modern - the GT350 was one of the top cars I was interested in. After driving one 2x I was really enthralled w/ the handling - mind blowingly good especially considering my previous Mustang bias in that dept - I'd say on par w/ C5-C6 corvettes better than an M3 & close to the M2 I drove, & I obviously like the sound of the engine & the high redline...interior fit/finish little "meh" but layout nicer/more accommodating than a Camaro.

Since I am admittedly not a Ford guy, after test drives I put in a lot of research since it was one of the top cars I was interested in & one of the more expensive. Well.....shorten the story up for ya - I was too gun shy to pull the trigger after reading horror story after horror story in particular on GT350/GT500 specific forums where I was sure there was alot of knowledge & GT350 nerds, noisy/rattling shifter (which I thought was a first gen coyote 5.0 GT issue that was resolved already), outrageous oil consumption - like CRAZY CRAZY, & the real kicker - seized engines. Straight up dead. For a guy that can't help but mod his rides a little bit, the thought of catastrophic failure @ any time on a hand-built low volume flat pane V8 @ any point turned me away. The fact that 2 of the most common complaints I heard on the car popped up even on a C&D 40k mile review...well that sealed the deal for me personally. If you keep your cars mostly stock or don't intend on driving @ the track or really hard (which IMHO would be near impossible not to do all the time w/ the way this car sounds & pulls) - then go for it. I actually REALLY disagree on buying it if you WERE going to track it b/c of the fact the engine failures seem fairly common & Ford can be stingy w/ warranty claims.........another car I looked @ is the C6 Z06 which is also known to have a pretty much guaranteed (if you drive it long enogh) major engine issue w/ the valvetrain - gotta rework the valve guides/heads first & foremost for insurance - which if done aftermarket will probably void warranty too - in that particular car I didn't care as much as I know the rest of it is pretty much bulletproof & you can always swap out/upgrade heads port/polish get some other lil internal upgrades here/there & while at cam swap. But the valve guide/head job alone is around $2500-$3500 & then throw another $1000-$2000 for cam upgrade.

Bottom line - as tedious as it is, I've found it better to exhaust yourself on the forums ahead of time before making any "specialty" vehicle purchase especially.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23083757/2017-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-reliability-update-3/

I've read the same about the motors. But seems like the gen 2 motor has fixed thos issues, hopefully. They do hold a pretty good value but for sub 50k it seems like the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for the detailed response as well