what do you see wrong here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

highwhey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Remove the shock at the lower mount, then you can fix the upper mount bolt. Then you can reattach the lower section.
how do i compress it back down so it can fit on the mount though? is it hard to compress by hand?

RPG9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do i compress it back down so it can fit on the mount though? is it hard to compress by hand?
Try this:

You will not be able to do it by hand. That’s why I recommend removing the lower shock mount to relieve the tension on the upper. Fix the upper, then move to the lower. You should be able to use a bottle jack on the rear axle and bump stop pad.

Another option: you could maybe take a HD pry bar and put it on top of the shock and in-between the frame and press down on the shock to get it into place. I would definitely wrap it in a towel where you don’t scratch the top of your shock. Hard to tell how misaligned the bolt is now that it backed out. Not sure you could get enough torque to compress the shock.
IMG_3746.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

highwhey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this:

You will not be able to do it by hand. That’s why I recommend removing the lower shock mount to relieve the tension on the upper. Fix the upper, then move to the lower. You should be able to use a bottle jack on the rear axle and bump stop pad.

Another option: you could maybe take a HD pry bar and put it on top of the shock and in-between frame and press down on the shock to get it into place. I would definitely wrap it in a towel where you don’t scratch the top of your shock. Hard to tell how misaligned the bolt is now that it backed out. Not sure you could get enough torque to compress the shock.
View attachment 423637
tthank you, that makes a lot more sense now and seems simple enough with tthe right tools. the pry bar and bottle jack are smart. it may be doable from the top, the shock right now can be easily wiggled from side to side by hand, just need one of those HD jacks like in the video to lift the frame as high as possible.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
You can also try moving the shock down with the truck on and suspension full soft. Believe with no power the shocks are full stiff (giggity). Make sure you have a few wheel chocks and e-brake set.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 500 miles into driving my new 2002 Ford Lightning I felt something hit my foot. The main bolt that connects the steering shaft to the steering wheel fell out and was laying on the floor mat.

I look both ways crossing a one-way street now.....

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation, it is disturbing some of this type of stuff coming from the assembly plant lately.

In my opinion, I would highly suggest having the truck TOWED to the nearest dealer whether they want to help you right away or not. Being a brand new truck, that is not driveable, it would be in their best interest to give you a rental vehicle to drive while they take their time fixing it. More than likely they will see it, put a bolt and nut in it and move on pretty quickly.

I say this, meaning I would strongly suggest you NOT trying to "fix" it yourself to limp it to the dealership. You don't want any doubt to creep into their minds that you might have done something wrong. Do NOT replace any other bolts yourself, do NOT try to put this one back in, do NOT even touch it. Have it towed on Ford's dime and politely ask for a vehicle to drive while they work it in to the shop. If they decide not to help you, you will have a much tougher time if you "messed" with something than if you just get it towed in. Also, if the dealership doesn't want to help you, start a case with Ford Customer Assistance. They will likely get it corrected in a hurry.

-Joe

OP
OP
H

highwhey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation, it is disturbing some of this type of stuff coming from the assembly plant lately.

In my opinion, I would highly suggest having the truck TOWED to the nearest dealer whether they want to help you right away or not. Being a brand new truck, that is not driveable, it would be in their best interest to give you a rental vehicle to drive while they take their time fixing it. More than likely they will see it, put a bolt and nut in it and move on pretty quickly.

I say this, meaning I would strongly suggest you NOT trying to "fix" it yourself to limp it to the dealership. You don't want any doubt to creep into their minds that you might have done something wrong. Do NOT replace any other bolts yourself, do NOT try to put this one back in, do NOT even touch it. Have it towed on Ford's dime and politely ask for a vehicle to drive while they work it in to the shop. If they decide not to help you, you will have a much tougher time if you "messed" with something than if you just get it towed in. Also, if the dealership doesn't want to help you, start a case with Ford Customer Assistance. They will likely get it corrected in a hurry.

-Joe
Thanks for the advice. FYI, I tried calling for a tow and was told I had to pay for it on my dime. And there isn’t a dealership in the world that will offer me a free rental. I am not kidding when I say Ford is indifferent to the situation which worsens the situation.

I have a gen2 raptor I will be driving in the meantime, but it sucks that a brand new truck doesn’t recieve the support it should ideally command.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. FYI, I tried calling for a tow and was told I had to pay for it on my dime. And there isn’t a dealership in the world that will offer me a free rental. I am not kidding when I say Ford is indifferent to the situation which worsens the situation.

I have a gen2 raptor I will be driving in the meantime, but it sucks that a brand new truck doesn’t recieve the support it should ideally command.
Buy a AAA membership for $120. Cheaper than one tow will be, and you’ll have a whole year to use 3 more tows

sc85fiero

Reaction score

I'm not saying I don't believe your perception of Ford, but I have been at a Ford dealer for 8 years and I can tell you that Ford most certainly will make right on just about anything specifically with F series truck owners, and more recently Bronco and Mach-E owners.

If you haven't done so you need to call Ford Customer Service at 1-800-392-3673.

Your local dealership may be less inclined to "help" you at the moment, but get a case created and they will help you with the process of setting up a tow (on Ford's dime) and a rental vehicle (also on Ford's dime).

And I can GUARANTEE you that MOST Ford dealers would be willing to pay for the tow and give you a vehicle to drive with the caveat AS LONG AS YOU HAVENT TOUCHED ANYTHING. Not all dealers, but most. Simply because there are some dealers out there with either new management that doesn't fully grasp the scope of customer service, or warranty administration that doesn't do the dealership any justice with situational decisions.

Again, I'm coming from a position of management myself at a Ford dealer for the last 8 years and I'm making these comments to try to help you make the best of a bad situation.

-Joe

OP
OP
H

highwhey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying I don't believe your perception of Ford, but I have been at a Ford dealer for 8 years and I can tell you that Ford most certainly will make right on just about anything specifically with F series truck owners, and more recently Bronco and Mach-E owners.

If you haven't done so you need to call Ford Customer Service at 1-800-392-3673.

Your local dealership may be less inclined to "help" you at the moment, but get a case created and they will help you with the process of setting up a tow (on Ford's dime) and a rental vehicle (also on Ford's dime).

And I can GUARANTEE you that MOST Ford dealers would be willing to pay for the tow and give you a vehicle to drive with the caveat AS LONG AS YOU HAVENT TOUCHED ANYTHING. Not all dealers, but most. Simply because there are some dealers out there with either new management that doesn't fully grasp the scope of customer service, or warranty administration that doesn't do the dealership any justice with situational decisions.

Again, I'm coming from a position of management myself at a Ford dealer for the last 8 years and I'm making these comments to try to help you make the best of a bad situation.

-Joe
I will call them Today. And most likely just gonna get it towed because one of the bed supports is bent due to the shock being swayed under the bed support. I see your point, but I have little faith they will give me a rental.

I walked into Earnhardt ford and offered to buy an f250 on the spot so as long as they could bump me up on the list to service the R and they couldn’t be bothered lol. I’m actually buying an f250 from another dealership today so I’m not too worried about getting a rental at the moment but it’d be nice if Ford did show some decency in the situation and said “we’ll take care of your new Truck bc a bolt coming loose from the suspension at 1600 miles is completely unacceptable “.