What did you do to your Raptor today? (Gen2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
IMG_20240204_105526.gif

Today I FINALLY addressed a long overdue issue that I've been too lazy to fix for the past 4+ years since buying the truck new: fixing the damn rear seat latch.

With a baby on the way I wanted to make sure it was safe back there. Today's been rather slow at work, I decided now was as good a time as ever to get on it. I couldn't see myself spending $35+ on the Builtright aftermarket bracket, so I decided on a solution that was a little simpler and cost free.

Now, originally my problem was that the thing wouldn't latch at all, which meant during any hard braking it would come flying forward (I prevented this during off-roading by putting the lower seat up). No matter how much I played with it or slammed it back, the latch wouldn't engage. I could've taken it to a dealership but, lol, who wants to do that? Anyway, knowing I was intent on permanently fixing it, I also wanted to have easy access back there if I needed it.

P_20240204_103816.jpg
I removed the bracket, brought it back to the shop, drilled a hole through the silver pin using a 1/16" bit and used a cotter to hold the wire cable. I was going to use a key ring, but couldn't find one that wouldn't pull apart with one tug. Once that was done I took a Dremel and cut down on the groove that holds the metal bar in place. I'm thinking there wasn't enough clearance for the arm to clamp over the bar when in position, but after cutting it down it worked without a hitch.

P_20240204_103637~2.jpg

The only mistake I made was not holding onto the wire tight enough when I pushed it back for the final time. After a few minutes and a string of curses, I managed to grab it and pulled it open for the final test. Works just fine. I might end up putting something on the end loop so that I don't lose it again, but for now putting it between the trim should work just fine. Sorry for the long post, I like to be thorough.

P_20240204_103707.jpg

Attachments

• P_20240204_103627.jpg
    P_20240204_103627.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 12

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 443311

Today I FINALLY addressed a long overdue issue that I've been too lazy to fix for the past 4+ years since buying the truck new: fixing the damn rear seat latch.

With a baby on the way I wanted to make sure it was safe back there. Today's been rather slow at work, I decided now was as good a time as ever to get on it. I couldn't see myself spending $35+ on the Builtright aftermarket bracket, so I decided on a solution that was a little simpler and cost free.

Now, originally my problem was that the thing wouldn't latch at all, which meant during any hard braking it would come flying forward (I prevented this during off-roading by putting the lower seat up). No matter how much I played with it or slammed it back, the latch wouldn't engage. I could've taken it to a dealership but, lol, who wants to do that? Anyway, knowing I was intent on permanently fixing it, I also wanted to have easy access back there if I needed it.

View attachment 443315
I removed the bracket, brought it back to the shop, drilled a hole through the silver pin using a 1/16" bit and used a cotter to hold the wire cable. I was going to use a key ring, but couldn't find one that wouldn't pull apart with one tug. Once that was done I took a Dremel and cut down on the groove that holds the metal bar in place. I'm thinking there wasn't enough clearance for the arm to clamp over the bar when in position, but after cutting it down it worked without a hitch.

View attachment 443319

The only mistake I made was not holding onto the wire tight enough when I pushed it back for the final time. After a few minutes and a string of curses, I managed to grab it and pulled it open for the final test. Works just fine. I might end up putting something on the end loop so that I don't lose it again, but for now putting it between the trim should work just fine. Sorry for the long post, I like to be thorough.

View attachment 443313
That looks like more work and frustration than $35 is worth to me, but good work!

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well do you have the rattle or no? I had mine done recently, so far nothing bad has happened and the noise is finally gone!
I really can’t tell. There’s definitely a noise, but it’s after a few compressions and not as violent sounding as the videos I’ve seen. It doesn’t sound too out of place for a cold engine and definitely not as pronounced as others I’ve heard with the issue.