Well this is a new one... can't pass emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey FRF,
First time I've heard of this. My mechanic who has been doing my inspections for the past decade says my 2021 won't communicate with the emissions machine and he won't be able to pass it for state inspection. Said everything scans fine otherwise so it's not the OBD2.... Dealership obviously inspected it the first time so it could have been a problem this entire time. Scheduled a trip back to the dealership on Monday but nervous about what I'm going to hear. Any thoughts? Hate to be that guy but hoping @FordTechOne can chime in on this too...

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey FRF,
First time I've heard of this. My mechanic who has been doing my inspections for the past decade says my 2021 won't communicate with the emissions machine and he won't be able to pass it for state inspection. Said everything scans fine otherwise so it's not the OBD2.... Dealership obviously inspected it the first time so it could have been a problem this entire time. Scheduled a trip back to the dealership on Monday but nervous about what I'm going to hear. Any thoughts? Hate to be that guy but hoping @FordTechOne can chime in on this too...
Any mods? Did you just buy it? Or you in California? These will help us.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry - I should clarify.

Truck is 100% stock, I bought it brand new in September 2021 and state is PA. Also, the mechanic reset their machine and tested it on other cars so I know it's not the machine.
That's odd. Did you try a different smog place? Either way a dealer visit shouldn't hurt.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2021+ F-150 uses a new network architecture; the OBD2 port no longer provides direct access to the networks. All communication between the scan tool and vehicle modules is through the Gateway Module, which is located inside the instrument panel. These changes are occurring industry wide, as OEMs increase vehicle security to prevent hacking and modifications.

The inspection stations may need to upgrade their equipment to be able to communicate with the new models.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
2021+ F-150 uses a new network architecture; the OBD2 port no longer provides direct access to the networks. All communication between the scan tool and vehicle modules is through the Gateway Module, which is located inside the instrument panel. These changes are occurring industry wide, as OEMs increase vehicle security to prevent hacking and modifications.

The inspection stations may need to upgrade their equipment to be able to communicate with the new models.
Does that mean I will be trusting my local "Bubba" smog shop to take apart the instrument panel to get to the module?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does that mean I will be trusting my local "Bubba" smog shop to take apart the instrument panel to get to the module?
Nope, it only needs to be accessed when diagnosing a network concern, which also requires a special Break-Out-Box.

The emissions stations will need to upgrade their equipment if they can’t communicate with the newer vehicles. Luckily most states don’t require an emissions inspection on new vehicles for a number of years, so should have plenty of time to figure it out.

OP
OP
RaptorFan1988

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Man am I relieved. This makes perfect sense.... the dealership did the 2021 inspection as they have the most up to date equipment. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it'd pass the 1st year and read nothing on the 2nd. I love my mechanic and he is great but he's working out of a gas station so I can all but guarantee his equipment isn't the latest and greatest. Also, now that the 2021s are starting to come up for inspection I'm betting he may not have seen this yet and will start to see this a lot more.