GEN 2 Well, like my Gen1 its not much in the mud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBQPorkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta learn to blip the throttle to empty the treads. I've gone into some pretty muddy shit and never got stuck yet...and that was on the stock BFG's

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bet, a lot of us are going to find well need to go into 4WD much sooner than Gen I...so much torque so fast....far too easy to break loose sooner than intended.

Then add to it the weight distribution difference...wonder what the PSI on the front vs. rear of a Gen I vs II....suspect the rear is even lighter on the Gen II.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points. Im running at 35psi all around. I did not engage the locker. It would have been helpful. I used 4x4 to get out but barely. And then when I got back home I drive through the grass and got stuck again, 2 wheel drive though.

The clay here in N Texas is insane. I have never seen anything like it before. It dries as hard as concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much anytime I go offroading I air down to no more than 25psi. I am in a gen1, so you could probably air down quite a bit more than me and get away with it. I think that combined with a locker should get you sorted out.

Regarding the clay, I regularly use Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector on all my undercarrage. It does a good job at protecting the metal surfaces (as you would expect) but it also makes cleanup after wheeling a little easier (mud/dirt/sand doesn't stick as much). Not sure if it can combat "Texas Clay" but thought I would throw it out there in case you haven't given that a try yet.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove my truck to work today. My garage at home is a wreck with mud. I came out this evening at work and mud is still failing off, lol. Picture doesn't do it justice.
IMG_3258.jpgIMG_3262.jpg

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, feel free to tell me Im an idiot and the Raptor is a desert runner. Im an old hillbilly that moved to Texas 5 years ago. Im used to shit that can go offroad in the mud.

A few minutes ago during a rain storm I took my Gen2 off road in the mud. Yes, the mud was deep and the ground was soaked. But shit it got stuck in my yard in 2 wheel drive. My Tacoma (had 5 of them) never had this issue. I went up the road to a circle track the kids ride 4 wheelers on and I got stuck right away. Yes its wet outside but **** this thing has such a hard time in mud. I had a Gen1 and it sucked in mud just as bad. I had the exact same issue with it while my Taco just kept going, WTF. In mud both Gen1 and Gen2 trucks become useless. I assume its the tires.

Flame on. I know, I suck, Im supposed to be in the desert in California where the truck shines.

I love my truck and its incredible in the dry. But let it rain 3 inches and its like a 2 wheel drive Chevy S10. It just spins. I almost couldnt get it out in 4x4 on a few occasions tonight.
View attachment 87870View attachment 87871View attachment 87872View attachment 87873

This post is just for fun. Try not to take yourselves and your trucks to serious. :) Oh my god MJ you cant drive and your tread is full of mud, what do you expect?

Ok, ok, yes, I have been drinking. Lol
MJslasherADMIN

Looks like you garage is about the same size as mine. Im just not willing to park against the wall to make it fit. No fu#ks given huh.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points. Im running at 35psi all around. I did not engage the locker. It would have been helpful. I used 4x4 to get out but barely. And then when I got back home I drive through the grass and got stuck again, 2 wheel drive though.

The clay here in N Texas is insane. I have never seen anything like it before. It dries as hard as concrete.

That would be the clay to which I was referring in my earlier post. It grows when it gets wet, shrinks when it dries out, and as you mentioned, gets damn near as hard as concrete. It adheres to stuff like JB Weld, too. That's why there are two types of homes in North Texas; those that have had foundation problems, and those that will.

I hate North Texas soil/mud in case you can't tell... and I'm saying that as a lifelong resident of the area.