GEN 2 Well, like my Gen1 its not much in the mud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the Gen2 truck have the same IWE design or has it changed? Man on the Gen1 those are a son of a bitch. Horrible design with issues no other non Ford model seems to have. I assume Gen2 carried over these F150 wheel ends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the Gen2 truck have the same IWE design or has it changed? Man on the Gen1 those are a son of a bitch. Horrible design with issues no other non Ford model seems to have. I assume Gen2 carried over these F150 wheel ends?

Same ****** design since 2004. I miss the setup my '00 had. Dead nuts reliable mechanically. The vacuum operator could fail, which mine never did, but you could always replace that with a simple push/pull cable setup and know for a fact it'd work when you needed it to.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same ****** design since 2004. I miss the setup my '00 had. Dead nuts reliable mechanically. The vacuum operator could fail, which mine never did, but you could always replace that with a simple push/pull cable setup and know for a fact it'd work when you needed it to.

Well shit. Do we know if anything at all changed? Maybe better IWE or upgraded components? Anything at all different or its the exact same?

The exact same means mud, water, getting stuck, pulling people out while in mud will wreck these wheel ends. I actually take my truck to other places besides Starbucks (I dont go to SB) and the mall and the blacktop. Like my 2014 I have IWE issues coming then. **** my life.

The normal F150 doesn't get punished as bad in most cases so IWE failures are not as super common, but they are still common.

Anyone have stats or failure rates on IWE failures for trucks that go offroad? Street queens dont have IWE issues, so your guys numbers dont count.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2004 F150 IWE - DORMAN 600105
2015 F150 IWE - DORMAN 600105

Same shit, different decade.

Can't find any listings for the 2017 Raptor/F150s, but I highly doubt the hub is any different than any other 2015+ trucks.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 F150 IWE - DORMAN 600105
2015 F150 IWE - DORMAN 600105

Same shit, different decade.

Can't find any listings for the 2017 Raptor/F150s, but I highly doubt the hub is any different than any other 2015+ trucks.

God I hope its different.

Bigfoot99 ( I mean 77) - Whats up with Gen2 IWE design? I know you are reading this waiting to pounce.

MIAMIRAPTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Florida can get pretty nasty in some spots.

From my personal research:

KO2s = stuck
Toyo MTs = no stuck

448620084467bf9d8877ad2439cf8ed7.jpg

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some iwe's will crack,break etc. Most will be fine. Never had a issue with my 2012 f150. Could ford make/purchase a better iwe, sure. Just enjoy the truck. If it breaks then fix it, or find a aftermarket iwe. Not sure if they are even available aftermarket.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my first post I mentioned that I also got stuck in my yard. My house was built in Nov 2015 so I still have spots with little to no grass. These grassless spots are mostly in areas with garbage fill dirt added by the builder. Nothing will grow in those spots.
Anyway, see pic below where my truck got stuck. Yes, it was in 2 wheel drive.
IMG_3285.jpg

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my first post I mentioned that I also got stuck in my yard. My house was built in Nov 2015 so I still have spots with little to no grass. These grassless spots are mostly in areas with garbage fill dirt added by the builder. Nothing will grow in those spots.
Anyway, see pic below where my truck got stuck. Yes, it was in 2 wheel drive.
View attachment 87985

"Great driver" who doesn't engage 4WD or the E-Locker and blames the truck for getting stuck?

Do you have the front Torsen?

Sounds like using 4WD, the E-Locker and drinking less solves most of your problems.

If your problems persist, get MT tires, continue using 4WD, the E-Locker and of course, drinking less.

Last edited: