GEN 2 Well, like my Gen1 its not much in the mud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
think of it this way. You're going to save a ton of gas money for that mower you'll never need!

I have an acre full of grass unfortunately. And then spots like this with nothing. Just bought a new mower in March. $2000 down the drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

"Great driver" who doesn't engage 4WD or the E-Locker and blames the truck for getting stuck?

Do you have the front Torsten?

Sounds like using 4WD, the E-Locker and drinking less solves most of your problems.

If your problems persist, get MT tires, continue using 4WD, the E-Locker and of course, drinking less.

Oh god, here we go.

Obviously my truck will pull through my yard in 4 wheel drive in 2 inches of mud. Thats not the point. This truck gets stuck way to easy in 2 wheel drive and in 4 wheel drive and with its drive modes. My wifes Kia van went through that same mud in my yard the same night. Yes its front wheel drive, yes it has the weight of the engine over the axle that pulls the van. Is still ******* embarrassing that a van went through the mud my Raptor didnt. It is what it is. Im not going to lock it in 4x4 every time it rains. I have had my Gen1 in places that nobody should have had a truck and while I got stuck several times it always got me home. But it still had a damn hard time in the mud. Other fellers on this thread seem to back me up on these statements.

The point here is to say the truck, like my Gen1 is not much in the mud. Its not that I am so inexperienced that I didnt know 4 wheel drive would keep me from getting stuck or that if I lock it in mud is easier to deal with. No shit. I used 4 wheel drive to get unstuck that night, both times. I like to see what my shit will do in 2 wheel drive.

Also, yes I have the front torsen. The truck isnt that great in the mud in 4 wheel drive either. Like my Gen1 it slides badly and once it starts sliding watch out. If you are on an incline and there is soft mud and water drenched earth it can get pretty sketchy.

I know its the tires. They get caked full of mud immediately and thats it. You might as well be driving on bare rims when the are full of mud. Ford, like they did with the Gen1 KO and now with the KO2 had to make some sacrifices. Hard to find a tire tread pattern thats great in sand, snow, wet roads, dirt, rocks and mud. You have to compromise and I get that. This isn't a mudder, its a desert pre-runner that does really well on rough roads at high speeds and its a pretty good rock crawler as well. Just posting here to say that like my Gen1 the Gen2 seems to suffer the same weakness in the mud. New tires coming soon and I will try it again.

Last edited:

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an acre full of grass unfortunately. And then spots like this with nothing. Just bought a new mower in March. $2000 down the drain.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Sell the mower, buy a goat and then you have a free mower, play toy for the kids and future dinner all wrapped up in one.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires are too wide for mud. Put some pizza cutters on it if you want to run a pretend Camel Trophy in your back yard.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Oh god, here we go.

Obviously my truck will pull through my yard in 4 wheel drive in 2 inches of mud. Thats not the point. This truck gets stuck way to easy in 2 wheel drive and in 4 wheel drive and with its drive modes. My wifes Kia van went through that same mud in my yard the same night. Yes its front wheel drive, yes it has the weight of the engine over the axle that pulls the van. Is still ******* embarrassing that a van went through the mud my Raptor didnt. It is what it is. Im not going to lock it in 4x4 every time it rains. I have had my Gen1 in places that nobody should have had a truck and while I got stuck several times it always got me home. But it still had a damn hard time in the mud. Other fellers on this thread seem to back me up on these statements.

The point here is to say the truck, like my Gen1 is not much in the mud. Its not that I am so inexperienced that I didnt know 4 wheel drive would keep me from getting stuck or that if I lock it in mud is easier to deal with. No shit. I used 4 wheel drive to get unstuck that night, both times. I like to see what my shit will do in 2 wheel drive.

Also, yes I have the front torsen. The truck isnt that great in the mud in 4 wheel drive either. Like my Gen1 it slides badly and once it starts sliding watch out. If you are on an incline and there is soft mud and water drenched earth it can get pretty sketchy.

I know its the tires. They get caked full of mud immediately and thats it. You might as well be driving on bare rims when the are full of mud. Ford, like they did with the Gen1 KO and now with the KO2 had to make some sacrifices. Hard to find a tire tread pattern thats great in sand, snow, wet roads, dirt, rocks and mud. You have to compromise and I get that. This isn't a mudder, its a desert pre-runner that does really well on rough roads at high speeds and its a pretty good rock crawler as well. Just posting here to say that like my Gen1 the Gen2 seems to suffer the same weakness in the mud. New tires coming soon and I will try it again.

I used weather mode in the rain today and was very impressed with how the truck handled very wet and slippery roads.

Was spinning the rear tires a bit from a stop and the rear end waggled a bit. Threw it into weather mode and it settled down very nicely. Throttle response was dialed back and the transfer case shifted to 4A. Huge difference in how the truck behaved.

Use the technology that is already in the truck and it may surprise you. I would be very interested how it performs in those conditions in mud mode on your stock tires. My understanding is the K02's are better in mid than the originals.

In your situation you'll probably still need MT tires though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used weather mode in the rain today and was very impressed with how the truck handled very wet and slippery roads.

Was spinning the rear tires a bit from a stop and the rear end waggled a bit. Threw it into weather mode and it settled down very nicely. Throttle response was dialed back and the transfer case shifted to 4A. Huge difference in how the truck behaved.

Use the technology that is already in the truck and it may surprise you. I would be very interested how it performs in those conditions in mud mode on your stock tires. My understanding is the K02's are better in mid than the originals.

In your situation you'll probably still need MT tires though.

I haven't tried weather mode yet. But the other night in all that Texas clay mud I played around with Baja mode and 4A and 4H just to see how they all behave in tough conditions.

Im going to the Texas Raptor Run next weekend. Hopefully there wont be lots of mud. I dont plan on beating on my truck though. Just going to ease around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc