water in the front diff !!!!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
im a crazy person when it comes to regular services....Ive done this with all my vehicles since as long as I can remember , it takes only a minute to check fluids on these things and well this one time it paid off, thank god, ...

My first thought was a girl driving a truck into a local shop... Well, I'm just skeptical after seeing all of those hidden camera shows. If this is something you asked them to check, then that makes sense. Add this to the list of things to check next time I have the oil changed.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if when Ford changed the fluid if they cleaned things out or just emptied and refilled, if so you will have a milkshake of leftover water contamination mixed with your new fluids. Probably a good idea to change it again as that can't be good for premature wear.

OP
OP
Mikexr1

Mikexr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made sure it was flushed out..not a spot of "milk" ...the only thing that has the smallest chance to cause that issue was a very heavy rain fall she drove in, but idk,
im just really hoping the 1000 miles or so driven with bad gear oil did not cause any damage....

Attachments

• 223743_480166102015064_2059980197_n.jpg
    223743_480166102015064_2059980197_n.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The biggest worry would be rust on the berings.
Wherever the gear oil is leaking out water could potentially also be leaking in.

OP
OP
Mikexr1

Mikexr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I have 6 weeks about until I get home..and first pace im going after is that vent line and its fitting,,as the other member had stated its a weak point...so best option I guess...

windsor

Reaction score
Maybe this is your concern? It is a service message from ford motor company.

21858 APPEARANCE OF GRAY OR MILKY AXLE LUBRICANT
SOME 2004-2011 F-SUPER DUTY, 2004-2010 E-SERIES, F-150,MUSTANG,CROWN VIC/GRAND MARQUIS, TOWN CAR, EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR, EXPLORER/MOUNTAINEER, AND EXPLORER SPORT TRAC VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FORD/STERLING FRONT AND/OR REAR AXLES MAY EXHIBIT AXLE LUBRICANT THAT APPEARS MILKY OR GREY. THE APPEARANCE IS MOST LIKELYDISCOLORATION CAUSED BY MARKING COMPOUND USED AT THE FACTORY TO CHECK GEAR TOOTHPATTERNS. THIS CONDITION MAY BE MORE APPARENT ON INDEPENDENT REAR AND/OR FRONT SUSPENSION AXLES AS THERE IS LESS LUBRICANT VOLUME PRESENT. THIS CONDITION HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE AXLE AND IS CONSIDERED NORMAL.DO NOT CHANGE THE LUBRICANT FOR THIS CONDITION.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 18-APRIL-2011

OP
OP
Mikexr1

Mikexr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow great find.... but y in the world would ford use a color that imitates watery oil???
go figure

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So we have gone from half a gallon of water to paint marking that make diff oil look milky or grey?

OP
OP
Mikexr1

Mikexr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still going with the water of course,,last bit of info a forgot to share was when they opened the fill plug that milk cam poring out and for a good minute too...but as to the paint marking that's just something interesting to me for future car and trucks to own if I come across it....

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It has been a complaint by F150 owners for a long time to have water in the front diff. causing milky oil.
It only takes a small amount of water to turn the oil milky and maybe condensation in some instances can be blamed, IDK. But Ford service has been telling customers about the paint marking only for owners to find out down the road that they did indeed have water contaminated fluid.