Washboard Dirt Roads = Major Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I discovered last night. Was adjusting my tire pressure down a couple pounds and noticed the TPMS sensors are reading lower than 3 different gauges I checked. Every gauge I had in my shop was reading about 1 - 1.5 PSI higher than what the truck said. So check everything again even if you think you're where you want to be.

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
You'd be amazed at how huge of a difference 25 psi is vs 28 psi. Night and day difference. Seriously.
Listen to this man!!! Lower the smoother and at 25 you will be flying. Try it again at lower tire pressure and you will be impressed.

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really really wish folks would STOP giving out mod advice when they havent used said recommendations themselves, and ESPECIALLY when they dont understand what works together and what doesnt.

/PSA ON

TRACTION BARS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH DROP SHACKLES.

Drop shackles also can and WILL lead to accelerated leaf spring wear if you offroad a fair amount. Drop shackles also can contribute to some degree of axle wrap due to the articulation movement that they add.

If you use drop shackles with traction bars, you will create bind on downtravel. You will rob 4 or 5 INCHES of downtravel from the truck if you install traction bars and drop shackles.

DO NOT USE THESE TWO PARTS TOGETHER.

/PSA Off

Easy there tiger. I didn't recommend traction bars.

Breath. lol.

Andrew72

Reaction score
@PDT905 while you should air down for off-road you shouldn’t need to change air pressure for driving down a dirt road to go fishing. What one comment said about an update make sense since your shocks are electronically controlled yes? I’d investigate further because that simply doesn’t sound right. Obviously airing down, 25-26psi for prerunning; granted 50-60mph @40psi around a corner, heavy throttle, you will break traction quite easy on gravel rocks, but again shouldn’t have to air down to go fishing

spirit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wait on airing-down your tires. IMO, The best way to go here is to continue sharpening your driving skills on the washboard roads but before each run take-out a lb of air. This way you'll be at the top of your game when you finally reach the magic number. Think Baja, money & women!

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washboard surface on dirt and concrete must be interacting wrong with the new 2019 smart shocks. Maybe Ford needs to update the Shock Control Computer software?

I run 40 F/ 37 R psi with 12"x35"x17" Firestone MT2's on stock rims on my 2017 SCREW with no harsh ride or axle hop on washboard roads EXCEPT around a curve which is normal with rear straight axle and leaf springs. That back end just jumps sideways a bit after the bump and you have to correct steering into the curve SLIGHTLY. My '69 Chevelle did the exact same thing.

Aloha, HT

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early build 19s h(before November 15, 2018)a message about rough ride. Supposed to update the module that controls the shocks. Look up ssm 47757
A few questions related to that...
  1. How do I find out the build date of my truck? I know I looked it up before, but I forget now. I think it had something to do with the VIN, but I can't remember exactly how to do it.
  2. If mine was built before then, how do I find out if the fix for that SSM has already been done or not?
  3. Is there a way to get notified of all TSBs (or SSMs, whatever an SSM is) that apply to my truck? I've tried logging into my Ford Owner account online, but I don't know where the list of TSBs would be.