Washboard Dirt Roads = Major Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PDT905

Reaction score
OK, so what's wrong with my truck (or the driver)? It's a brand new 2019 SCREW, less than 5,000 miles logged so far. I've had it all over Colorado, including on relatively steep offroad terrain, mountain passes, in some late season snow at elevation, heavy rain, highways at 100+ mph, Starbucks lines, you name it. But for the glitchy CarPlay interface and door locks, I've LOVED everything about this truck. Performance has been awesome.

Then came an impromptu Sunday morning fishing trip with my son and some friends. Until yesterday, I'd never run it on wide open washboard gravel roads. The experience was, well, a combination of pathetic and scary. The back end constantly broke loose. "Skittish" as some have described it is an understatement.

I tried every single drive mode combination I could think of. Nothing helped. Anything over 10-12 MPH was flat out dangerous, particularly around corners. Passengers were frightened. Driver B - who has owned and driven trucks and heavily modified offroad vehicles his entire life - took over and had the same result. Raptor is now off his list. We were getting passed by 1980-something Honda Civics, motorcycles, loaded down SUVs. No joke. The wifey doesn't want to be back in the truck "until it's fixed."

I did some angry research last night and came across several posts about wheel hop and axle wrap. Is it really possible that this "King of the Offroad" truck comes from the factory so deficient that you need thousands of dollars of modifications just to be able to safely traverse gravel backgrounds in dry conditions? As sad as it is to admit, my 2008 bone stock V6 4Runner with 210,000 miles would have absolutely crushed the Raptor yesterday.

I know these questions will be asked, so here's some background info:
  • The tire pressure was a little high. I had it set at 38-39 front and back cold, which by the time we hit the road I'm sure had increased to 42 or so. It was a warm day. I see that most recommend running 38/34 for standard daily driving with weekend excursions stuff. I can and will make this adjustment. That said, I can't imagine losing 4 PSI in the rear tires is going to take this from pure shit to even acceptable.
  • We had 4 people in the truck, one thirty-five pound 4 year old plus three adults. Minimal cargo in the bed, maybe a 100 pounds. Fishing poles and a cooler.
  • We tried every single driving mode combination we could think of. 2wd, 4a, 4h. Normal mode, Sand/Mud, Baja, Deep Snow, even towing and whatever the other one is.
  • No performance mods yet. Stock tires, stock wheels, stock suspension. I have plans to buy a Cobb Stage 2, upgrade the wheels, put on new tires, and do a bunch of other stuff, all of which is back-burnered pending this troubleshooting expedition.
  • I'm not a professional race/baja/offroad driver and I'm light on Raptor street cred. I didn't own a Gen1, I don't have a million dollars worth of other vehicles in the garage, I'm not sponsored by RedBull. That said, I've spent plenty of time on trails and backroads in CO, WY, Utah, Montana without any issues, in deep snow, driving rain, bluebird sunshine, and everything between. No problems, no crashes, no scary experiences like yesterday.

One other possibly related thing to note is that the truck has never liked highways with segmented sections. Expansion joints, I believe. The ride quality is terrible and everyone looks forward to getting back on regular roads. (My 4 year old has a good time on them, truth be told, as he's realized that he can use the intense vibrations to make funny noises with his voice.)

So WTF is up here? Do I have some suspension issue? Tire problems? Am I the world's worst driver? In touting the amazing offroad performance of these engineering marvels, did everyone forget to mention that washboard gravel and light duty offroading are big no-nos? Are my options really limited to: (1) slow crawl aggressive terrain; (2) send it for some epic mid-flight picture; or (3) stay on pavement?

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've experienced similar in my 2019. The suspension is much stiffer and more unsettled compared to my 2017. I'm running 36PSI on all four corners and planning to air down further than I had on my 2017. The new shocks certainly handle both highways and off-road differently.

The highway experience you describe with pot-holes and expansion joints is similar to what I've noticed as well.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I've experienced similar in my 2019. The suspension is much stiffer and more unsettled compared to my 2017. I'm running 36PSI on all four corners and planning to air down further than I had on my 2017. The new shocks certainly handle both highways and off-road differently.

The highway experience you describe with pot-holes and expansion joints is similar to what I've noticed as well.
You'd be amazed at how huge of a difference 25 psi is vs 28 psi. Night and day difference. Seriously.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be amazed at how huge of a difference 25 psi is vs 28 psi. Night and day difference. Seriously.

Absolutely, completely agree with that. I typically air down to 26 PSI on the Raptor when off-road. That's why I'm thinking dropping to 34 on the road may make a difference.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your tires, offroad, shouldn't be set to anything higher than 28 psi WARM.

Without lower tire pressure, you're creating a situation similar to driving on ice. you'll have no grip, you'll feel every bump and you will be miserable.

Can confirm. I made the mistake of only airing down to 33/30 last weekend and not only was I sliding everywhere, but in 38 miles I absolutely shredded my stock tires.

OP
OP
PDT905

PDT905

Reaction score
Helpful, thanks guys.

So what I'm hearing is that the Raptor requires PSI adjustments, while pretty much every other car, SUV and truck on the road can tackle this stuff without a problem. I can appreciate that, actually, as the Raptor is a different beast.

Just so we're clear, these were county back roads, not offroad trails. They're probably plowed in the winter and otherwise maintained periodically. We're talking paved road for a mile, dirt road for a stretch, and then back on pavement. There was a group of bikers who passed us on Harleys going about 35. So offroad really isn't the right term for the terrain that was causing her problems.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Absolutely, completely agree with that. I typically air down to 26 PSI on the Raptor when off-road. That's why I'm thinking dropping to 34 on the road may make a difference.

I've been running my general 37s at 30 psi cold on-road and it is money.

Offroad I ran 22 cold on my last trip.

the run previous, I had my tires at 28 psi. I was miserable on washboards. Just going from 28 to 25 was a huge difference, going down to 22 ended up being the sweet spot.

No bead locks, no spun tires, no issues running method 701s.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Helpful, thanks guys.

So what I'm hearing is that the Raptor requires PSI adjustments, while pretty much every other car, SUV and truck on the road can tackle this stuff without a problem. I can appreciate that, actually, as the Raptor is a different beast.

Just so we're clear, these were county back roads, not offroad trails. They're probably plowed in the winter and otherwise maintained periodically. We're talking paved road for a mile, dirt road for a stretch, and then back on pavement. There was a group of bikers who passed us on Harleys going about 35. So offroad really isn't the right term for the terrain that was causing her problems.
I'd still roll on that sort of road at 28 or 30 psi. being over 40 psi makes the tires WAY too stiff. The raptor assault instructors run 32/30 on road iirc.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2B9C5CC6-09A5-443B-AB1B-F9B1A200F3DE.jpeg I made the mistake of not airing down on some simple gravel washboard roads and it almost went way bad around a corner. Just did the white rim trail in Moab this weekend and ran 32-28 hot and on the trip out it was the same as described above but I was able to fly down the road with full confidence. It sounds like to easy of a fix but I’m sold.