Was not going to have Dealer Prep but....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u0104940

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for my G2 to arrive. My initial plan was to not have anything prepped, get it Line-X'd, and then have it professionally detailed and coated. But now that I've seen so many trucks show up with new owners claiming of scratches on the hoods and even dings in doors, I'm starting to wonder if I should have them prep it so I can detect any flaws instead of finding them after the fact.

My thinking is now that what little damage the dealership car wash guy causes to the paint, the professional detailer can take care of. Would love to hear some other opinions on this. This would be my first vehicle that I have requested to not have prepped.

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
Two years ago I took delivery of an Explorer Sport I bought for the family crap hauler without much of a dealer PDI. I got it home to wash it myself and found a chip on the roof, what looks like an ostrich feather in the paint on the C pillar, and a small paint daub that was cleared over at the factory.

Lesson learned, Have them clean it up and look it over completely before taking it home.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I took delivery of an Explorer Sport I bought for the family crap hauler without much of a dealer PDI. I got it home to wash it myself and found a chip on the roof, what looks like an ostrich feather in the paint on the C pillar, and a small paint daub that was cleared over at the factory.

Lesson learned, Have them clean it up and look it over completely before taking it home.

I told my dealer to not touch my car when it finally arrived and I would remove all of the plastic etc. My car was shipped in late December/early January and it was absolutely filthy when it came in and that concealed some pretty serious scratches that I had to polish out before I coated my car. I would still tell them to leave it be. Look for obvious damage like dents, or scratches that you can feel with your fingernail and then stick to your plan to getting the thing paint corrected and coated by a professional. I have yet to see a new vehicle from any manufacturer that doesn't have a small degree of marring in the paint.

bdub85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine prepped at the dealer. They sent it out to a professional detail shop to wash it. They are probably the best car dealer I've ever experienced.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have them prep it. Inspect for rust on the front axles and rear diff. Seems like a lot of the ramp 59 trucks are being delivered pretty rusted up.

BAJA1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I received my new 2014 there was a razor blade scratch down the entire tailgate bottom where possibly plastic was covering it. Also found several small paint chips. Dealer took care of it ($1000 repair bill) but they didn't bother to point out the obvious flaws. Check it very closely!

OP
OP
u0104940

u0104940

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have them prep it. Inspect for rust on the front axles and rear diff. Seems like a lot of the ramp 59 trucks are being delivered pretty rusted up.

That was one of my concerns, mine is one of the Oct. Build Ramp 59 units. I also had seen some new owners picking up their trucks at night as well. I would think you could inspect better mid day in natural light.

I appreciate the input guys. The more the better.

A_Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked out a Ruby Red gen 2 that had just been prepped. It had a nice scratch on the bed near the graphics. I'm not saying the prep caused it but it's possible. I hope they fixed it before the owner took it home. I doubt it.

I let the dealership prep mine back in 2014 and was flawless.

Whichever route you choose, just spend some time going over the truck before you take it home.

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend to not have them prep your truck. My dealer prepped my truck earlier this week and ****** it up. His team washed the truck with what looks like dirty rags and left scratches and swirl marks over the entire thing. When I pointed it out to him he agreed to fix everything, but needed me to take it to a body shop to get and estimate and he'll pay them to do it. He didn't trust this on team... Turns out pieces will need to be replaced like a couple of the tire fenders, the plastic pieces between the front and back door windows, the hood graphics, and possibly repainting the entire truck if they can't buff them out. A couple of the larger scratches are doubtful on buffing out. I'm so pissed! I picked it up at night so I couldn't see everything until the next day at my house.

OP
OP
u0104940

u0104940

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truly sucks @Corey77 , I will definitely not have them prep the exterior and will pick up mid day with a detailed inspection as best as I can possibly do. After seeing what's happened to some other deliveries I have an idea of what to look for as well.