Soon to be raptor owner in New England

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gusser

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the brand and the forum. Never really needed/wanted a truck until now. Recently retired and need something to tow a small (1000lb) cargo trailer with Radio control aircraft (Mainly helicopters... lots of helicopters) and didn't like the idea of straining my Honda Crosstour's tranny, even though the car is rated for 1500 lbs.

I have always been a car guy, with an emphasis on muscle. I was initially looking for a Gen 2 Lightning but many are beat to snot, overly modded or just plain overpriced for my fixed-income budget.
I came across the Raptor subject as an alternative to the supercharged Lightning... I like the idea of a big V8 rather than boost add-ons to make power just to keep it simple and easier to repair for this gray beard.

I came across a 2011 crew cab with 94k. The interior seats are a mess, scratches everywhere on the plastic door panels and surface, chrome trim peeling off of the shifter handle, some bubbling in one of the cab corners, etc, (this was all obtained by pics and a Facetime session with the sales guy) but otherwise seems like a reasonably priced entry into the Raptor world. I am hopeful I can resolve most, if not all of these flaws over time and have a well-restored Raptor to pass on to my grandson someday.

I am a DIY'er (have a 2-post lift in my garage) and although I do not want to tackle engine swaps/rebuilds/frame off restorations anymore (I may take the bed off though), I still enjoy doing basic maintenance and parts replacement when needed. Looks like I'll have to learn how to do auto seat upholstery too if the deal goes through. :uhoh2:

I have already learned a ton about what to look for and what to expect from browsing this forum and I expect to find many answers to the questions and problems I run into right here. :happy107:
Will update y'all if my inspection and the PPI (to be completed over the next couple of weeks) gives me the green light to make the purchase.

Here is a good 15-footer pic.

10.jpg
:cheers:

OP
OP
gusser

gusser

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome nex. Appreciated.
I am aware of the Fuse 27 mod but not sure what the "lead frame" refers to.:confused: Please enlighten me sir.

Yup, lots to learn and I surely have my work cut out for me, but even though I'm a bit slower than younger days, being retired means I can take my time, do it right and enjoy the process. I just finished that Firehawk (going towards the purchase of the Raptor) and now it's done, I find myself looking for another project that doesn't involve power adders or any major rebuilds.. and I could really use a full-size truck, so the Raptor checks all the boxes.
The dealer is replacing the tires and brakes (safety stuff), there is an OSS (transmission speed sensor) recall that is outstanding that is being taken care of today, and they are taking care of some of the expensive wear items so i don't have to worry about them.

And, much to my surprise, and something I haven't seen during my research: The dealer tells me there are two sets of keys that should come with a Raptor... one key limits the MPH to 80, and the other pulls out the stops. They have the inhibited key but not the all out version so they are having a replacement made on their dime. Pretty cool.

My inspection and test drive will be next week after the recall and safety stuff is done. If that goes well, off to the PPI at a highly recommended local garage near the dealer.
I will try to document my inspection and share parts of it here if I have the presence of mind to remember to take some vids and pics. Getting old sucks....but I'm not ready for the nursing home yet! :burnout:

:cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter