WARNING! Look at your rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe not but Ford seems to give customers a hard time to things that should be taken care of.
My jeep had small amount of corrosion on the wheels and Chrysler had them refinished no questions asked. My brothers chrome step sides had a few pine size rust marks, hardly visible and Dodge replaced them without even batting an eye.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had 3 power steering pumps go out, ford replaced them each time, even though the second and third ones were only a month apart, they also covered my rear diff leaking even though it had obviously been offroaded hard, dealerships and specifically service writers matter a whole shitload more than which manufacturer it is as to whether your warranty claim will get covered or not

OP
OP
S

Smith21

Reaction score
Cleave so far in the 3 years of owning my truck I've had two water pumps(one within the first month of buying it), a complete rear end, rear leafs, heated seats, rear shocks and now both rockers replaced under warranty. Up until now I had never had to fight for anything with my dealer.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cleave so far in the 3 years of owning my truck I've had two water pumps(one within the first month of buying it), a complete rear end, rear leafs, heated seats, rear shocks and now both rockers replaced under warranty. Up until now I had never had to fight for anything with my dealer.

Shocks are not typically covered under warranty. What was the reason they had to be replaced?

twlhunter65

Reaction score
Duct Tape !!

So inspecting the Rockers and findind just the begining of some rust I noticed all along the sheet metal above the rockers,about the length of the running boards there was peeling duct tape covering the holes to keep the water out !! You have to be kidding me !! Nice job Ford !!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 217

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very strange that Ford used tape to block those holes off, not to mention my wiring harness is only held on to the frame with electrical tape, which is all falling off.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still a bit stunned that Ford would consider duct tape over large holes adequate to stand behind a 10/100 rust through warranty. Here are some pics of the factory duct tape falling off the rockers on my 11 month old SCAB. No winter, and little rain here. It does get really hot. The last pic is the new tape. I put on some really high quality duct tape and covered that with commercial grade aluminum foil tape. I made sure the foil tape was larger so it's adhesive would adhere to the sheet metal too. The only way I can get that foil tape adhesive off surfaces is with adhesive remover. I will keep an eye on those taped areas.

rocker1_zps89290d59.jpg

rocker2_zps9fed9e51.jpg

rocker3_zps89e977c2.jpg

rocker4_zps118c9eab.jpg

twlhunter65

Reaction score
I got my dealer to agree to fix the starting of the rust, use a sound dampening tape to fix the duct tape issue. Also drop the trailer hitch,paint it,and fix the rust under the bed it caused. This Forum has been very helpfull on a few issues the dealer has fixed for free. New running boards due to white chalky spots, painting under the doors where there was only primer,now this as well !! It will be a few weeks untill they do the work,Will post pics of the new tape and paint.