VisionX light cannon Vs Rigid Industries Hyperspot Vs Baja Designs Racer edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that stumble across this, if you had to pick one of these pairs, which one, and why. The why is important to me because your opinion is needed.

The VisionX 6’7” ADV:
198d8b31753be48c8085ec410a335227.jpg

Baja designs XL Pro: (which will actually be significantly cheaper than the ADV due to both vendor/ BD Black Friday promotions. HIGHLY appealing).
b98d0b5b8cc2208c293e54942e1c1519.jpg

I truly feel the ADV would put out more light not only mid field, but also distance. The back light is also highly appealing to me. I wish the BD XL had an amber back light.

Having said that, the ADV is one dimensional. Sure, a great home is on my bumper which I love. But what about the future? The BD XL can be mounted in a variety of different places. The “Uservice” is cool. But I also like VX snap on covers equally as much.

The BD XL might be eligible for upgrades, at a cost of course, down the road as BD’s tech grows and evolves. I love that possibly.

So, if you had to pick one of those, which one. Thanks for considering. Going to be an epic decision post at the end with what ends up coming in the mail!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you checked your local dealer? I got my ADV 6.7 lights for about $90 off the website price.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
For those that stumble across this, if you had to pick one of these pairs, which one, and why. The why is important to me because your opinion is needed.

The VisionX 6’7” ADV:
198d8b31753be48c8085ec410a335227.jpg

Baja designs XL Pro: (which will actually be significantly cheaper than the ADV due to both vendor/ BD Black Friday promotions. HIGHLY appealing).
b98d0b5b8cc2208c293e54942e1c1519.jpg

I truly feel the ADV would put out more light not only mid field, but also distance. The back light is also highly appealing to me. I wish the BD XL had an amber back light.

Having said that, the ADV is one dimensional. Sure, a great home is on my bumper which I love. But what about the future? The BD XL can be mounted in a variety of different places. The “Uservice” is cool. But I also like VX snap on covers equally as much.

The BD XL might be eligible for upgrades, at a cost of course, down the road as BD’s tech grows and evolves. I love that possibly.

So, if you had to pick one of those, which one. Thanks for considering. Going to be an epic decision post at the end with what ends up coming in the mail!!!

i think you can see what my pick is...

6YreA2V.jpg

6inaRow

Reaction score
I was digging through my emails from last year and headlight revolution offered 20% off store wide which would bring the 6.7 ADV pair to $600. Not sure what some of the vendors here offer though. The BD XL Pro will be about $571 a pair after rebate unless one of the vendors offers their own special Black Friday pricing. If it's only $29 difference I would go with the ADV.

2 Xl Pro's won't give you as much distance as your 20" OnX6+ bar when you had the driving/combo lenses due to the racer edition LED's and higher power chips. I honestly don't think you'll gain too much distance adding them with your current setup. I could be wrong though.

The U-service is a huge benefit though, even if not changing beam patterns it's nice to know if something were to damage it you can easily replace your lens with a new one and not void warranty. But you can always run clear protectors on the vision x for protection if you're worried.

The size consideration is a valid one but a 6.7" light can have a good home on almost any bumper and some even mount them on the a-pillars (too big for my taste though). So I wouldn't let the size difference stop me from getting a light if you have a place to put it now or on a future vehicle even if there is limited places to put them.

I personally like the 5000k color temperature on the BD lights over 6000k but both are good. Earlier you stated you prefer the 6000k cool white so that might sway you one way or the other. Not sure what the CRI rating of each company's LED's are though. It would be nice if BD and vision x would disclose this info.

I'm not sure on the likely hood of sending your BD light in for upgrading. It's a cool idea though. I just know for me, there will probably be new technology in more forms than just a new LED chip/board and I'll probably just spring for a whole new light when i feel it's worth the upgrade. But who knows what the future will bring. You're probably sick of hearing from me by now but thought I'd share my 2 cents.

OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your local dealer? I got my ADV 6.7 lights for about $90 off the website price.

This is from Alternative Off-road. I have bought all my lights from them and they are about an hour from me. No locals vendors and I don’t think AO has these on display.

e24d9c7fafe513aba2c2a379b10b5aeb.jpg
I spoke to them. They are offering the same Black Friday promotion as last year. So, I would expect to drop around $590 (without tax). $749 on VisionX website. That’s a darn good deal.

OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaaand, based on my research, ADV and BD XL Pro utilize CREE XP-L high LED’s. Maybe runs them harder? Who knows. BD claims they are the only ones to run their LEDs at 100% with their cooling tech (copper core)

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think you can see what my pick is...

6YreA2V.jpg
I probably would have gone Full BD also if I had a local shop I could go lay my hands on, or see how they do in real life. The Vision X brand is popular up here and a lot of the local shops have them. For warranty issues I could literally drive up and unbolt my light and walk in and exchange it. If I had that option for BD my choice would have been a little more difficult for my distance lights. The snap on color options made the Vision X line a little more appealing to me also, to swap colors on an LP6 or LP9 there is some disassembly required not something I want to do on the side of the trail in the dark. I like the blue lenses for snow storms. I'd love to make it to the desert some time and ride and see what the BD lights are like in a side by side comparison, if I only had the time.

I was digging through my emails from last year and headlight revolution offered 20% off store wide which would bring the 6.7 ADV pair to $600. Not sure what some of the vendors here offer though. The BD XL Pro will be about $571 a pair after rebate unless one of the vendors offers their own special Black Friday pricing. If it's only $29 difference I would go with the ADV.

2 Xl Pro's won't give you as much distance as your 20" OnX6+ bar when you had the driving/combo lenses due to the racer edition LED's and higher power chips. I honestly don't think you'll gain too much distance adding them with your current setup. I could be wrong though.

The U-service is a huge benefit though, even if not changing beam patterns it's nice to know if something were to damage it you can easily replace your lens with a new one and not void warranty. But you can always run clear protectors on the vision x for protection if you're worried.

The size consideration is a valid one but a 6.7" light can have a good home on almost any bumper and some even mount them on the a-pillars (too big for my taste though). So I wouldn't let the size difference stop me from getting a light if you have a place to put it now or on a future vehicle even if there is limited places to put them.

I personally like the 5000k color temperature on the BD lights over 6000k but both are good. Earlier you stated you prefer the 6000k cool white so that might sway you one way or the other. Not sure what the CRI rating of each company's LED's are though. It would be nice if BD and vision x would disclose this info.

I'm not sure on the likely hood of sending your BD light in for upgrading. It's a cool idea though. I just know for me, there will probably be new technology in more forms than just a new LED chip/board and I'll probably just spring for a whole new light when i feel it's worth the upgrade. But who knows what the future will bring. You're probably sick of hearing from me by now but thought I'd share my 2 cents.

I have a S8 light bar behind the grill that I'm going to be removing and either selling or sticking on a shelf for future. I'll be able to show the light color difference between the Baja designs and the Light Force ADV light. I like the whiter light because even with one of the many color filter options offered by Vision X I can get plenty of light.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is from Alternative Off-road. I have bought all my lights from them and they are about an hour from me. No locals vendors and I don’t think AO has these on display.

e24d9c7fafe513aba2c2a379b10b5aeb.jpg
I spoke to them. They are offering the same Black Friday promotion as last year. So, I would expect to drop around $590 (without tax). $749 on VisionX website. That’s a darn good deal.

I get screwed on shipping. i was better to go through local dealer.

6inaRow

Reaction score
Aaaand, based on my research, ADV and BD XL Pro utilize CREE XP-L high LED’s. Maybe runs them harder? Who knows. BD claims they are the only ones to run their LEDs at 100% with their cooling tech (copper core)

Ya, I read this a year or so ago on vision x's Europe site:
http://www.visionxeurope.com/en/info/vision-x-led-school-2.html
They state that they (vision x) never run their LED's at more than 90%. I'm not sure on what chip they are running on the ADV other than it's a 10w cree and most likely top BIN.

BD runs the standard XP-L in the XL Pro, the XP-L High Intensity in the XL Racer and the XHP-50 in the XL-80. Or at least that is what their data sheets say. They definitely brag about them running at 100% safely and from experiencing how fast ice melts off the lens even at -30° on the LP9 and how hot the back of the lights get, I wouldn't doubt it.