VisionX light cannon Vs Rigid Industries Hyperspot Vs Baja Designs Racer edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ interesting. I PM’d VisionX last week and they told me they use the XP-L high in their ADV lights. BD uses that in their XL racer you say? I find that very interesting. gotta respect that BD gets every drop of water outta that stone.

Maybe that is how VX gets such great distance numbers on their ADV is the use of 8 XP-L high LEDs. BD is prob reading this thinking I am an idiot. If I come across that way, I am sorry, I am just trying to do some consumer research :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6inaRow

Reaction score
^ interesting. I PM’d VisionX last week and they told me they use the XP-L high in their ADV lights. BD uses that in their XL racer you say? I find that very interesting. gotta respect that BD gets every drop of water outta that stone.

Maybe that is how VX gets such great distance numbers on their ADV is the use of 8 XP-L high LEDs. BD is prob reading this thinking I am an idiot. If I come across that way, I am sorry, I am just trying to do some consumer research :)

Ya, that could be. I was wrong early in the thread when I said the racer LED's had the "dome" over them. It's the opposite, the racer edition chips are dome-less. And the pictures of the ADV cannon online have dome-less chips in them which backs up what vision x told you.

And just for kicks, the last picture is a 30" OnX6 racer edition bar.

Screenshot_20191118-110900_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191118-110817_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191118-110746_Drive.jpg

41-3002-lighted.jpg

OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn! I swear, I have been googling and forum checking constantly. How you find this stuff is great.

6inaRow

Reaction score
Finally! Found one of an XL Pro in full spot. 1st picture is XL Pro 2nd is XL Racer. There's definitely more foreground lighting with the XL Pro and the reflective dot in the distance at around 1600 feet is slightly more visible in the Racer photo but not terribly much.

50-7801-lighted.jpg

69-0002-lighted.jpg

OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I would have thought the second photo would be so much more focused for a Laser. Thanks for digging those up. Going to be a very informative thread for years to come. One I will probably refer back to often.

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I would have thought the second photo would be so much more focused for a Laser. Thanks for digging those up. Going to be a very informative thread for years to come. One I will probably refer back to often.

Those are XL racer, not laser. The XL laser is a different beast.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
To be clear, all of the super technical light stuff is cool and all, but I prefer to focus on how the lights work in application and practice.

I have run through cactus, scrub brush, torrential rain, peanut butter mud and snow with my BD lights.

I've cracked a lens. I've sheered a bolt. I've frozen them. I've been out in 128 degrees. They've even been sandblasted at over 100mph to the point that the BD logos aren't on the lights anymore.

Guess what? They never stopped working.

As another point to consider, the xl racers throw light far enough that I'm comfortable up to about 110mph in the dark.

If you need to go faster than that in a raptor off-road at night, you're a much better driver than me, which a linked truck.

I guess my point is: show me what the BD lights can't do.

Also, a 6.7" light on your bumper is going to rob airflow. Make sure that you aren't bringing on an overheating condition by putting such a large light in front of the intercooler/radiator.

Oh and if you put an lp6 or a vision-x on the a pillar, the hood will hit it when you try to open it. And once you see how much the 4" lights shake when on the a pillar brackets, you'll think twice about a 6 inch light .

OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think you can see what my pick is...

6YreA2V.jpg

You have an amazing truck. You made some solid points in that post above. Aaaand, you have an entire warehouse shelf of BD on the front of your truck. Which I like and find absolutely pleasing to stare at. Flying work of art.

Thanks for the feedback. At this moment, the light from BD I am considering is the XL Pro with their high speed optic. Reason why? Value from the Black Friday promotion. A sick light at a sick price. But, right now, I am 51/49 in favor of the VisionX ADV. I still have a week to finally decide. Your input is valuable.

I don’t plan on going 110 in the desert. If I attempt, I guarantee I will slip a disk in my back and destroy my truck. I am just a sucker for lighting....

6inaRow

Reaction score
To be clear, all of the super technical light stuff is cool and all, but I prefer to focus on how the lights work in application and practice.

I have run through cactus, scrub brush, torrential rain, peanut butter mud and snow with my BD lights.

I've cracked a lens. I've sheered a bolt. I've frozen them. I've been out in 128 degrees. They've even been sandblasted at over 100mph to the point that the BD logos aren't on the lights anymore.

Guess what? They never stopped working.

As another point to consider, the xl racers throw light far enough that I'm comfortable up to about 110mph in the dark.

If you need to go faster than that in a raptor off-road at night, you're a much better driver than me, which a linked truck.

I guess my point is: show me what the BD lights can't do.

Also, a 6.7" light on your bumper is going to rob airflow. Make sure that you aren't bringing on an overheating condition by putting such a large light in front of the intercooler/radiator.

Oh and if you put an lp6 or a vision-x on the a pillar, the hood will hit it when you try to open it. And once you see how much the 4" lights shake when on the a pillar brackets, you'll think twice about a 6 inch light .
Great input! To be fair though, I don't have any local or even localish dealers for BD or Vision X so I can't see the lights in person. My brother in-laws and I chipped in on a pair of LP9's for my FIL sight unseen going off of BD's reputation and specs. They are truly amazing quality and the light out put is fantastic! Having said this, I've had quite a few cheap Chinese knockoffs installed on other vehicles and ATV's and have yet to have one fail even beating them to crap out in the bush, dunes, -45°C to +45°C (not as hot as 128°F though), blizzards, fully submerged, peppered by sand, rocks and salt. The powder coat is completely off of some of them, the lenses yellow within 2 to 3 years, the optics are nowhere near as good, they can't melt snow and ice off the lens on there own and color temperature really varies between diodes in the same light (evidence of low BIN LED's). But they all keep working (albeit at a much lower quality and light output) as do the BD lights.

I like to do as much research as possible based on others/my own experiences and gathering as much data and specs that I can. Especially when spending the amount of money that these high end lights cost.

Thanks for the warning about the a pillar lights shaking! I've never considered a pillar lights myself as I don't care for the look but I definitely didn't think about the mounts themselves not being sturdy enough to prevent shaking. Good to know!

Airflow is another great consideration. My climate is cold enough that I run a weather front for 7ish months out of the year so I don't worry about blocking my grill airflow. I also haven't had any change in temps with or without bumper mounted lights, but in a super hot climate it's definitely worth consideration.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
You have an amazing truck. You made some solid points in that post above. Aaaand, you have an entire warehouse shelf of BD on the front of your truck. Which I like and find absolutely pleasing to stare at. Flying work of art.

Thanks for the feedback. At this moment, the light from BD I am considering is the XL Pro with their high speed optic. Reason why? Value from the Black Friday promotion. A sick light at a sick price. But, right now, I am 51/49 in favor of the VisionX ADV. I still have a week to finally decide. Your input is valuable.

I don’t plan on going 110 in the desert. If I attempt, I guarantee I will slip a disk in my back and destroy my truck. I am just a sucker for lighting....

Thanks! I can speak to BD lights vs lightforce and KC, but i just don't see many, if any, trucks on my desert runs with vision-x. There is no difference in the function on my bd lights, after all the abuse when compared to a new light. Ive been thrashing these particular XLs for about 2 years.

You cant go wrong with BD. Ive continued to go with them for all my lighting needs due to my experience. ( I just bought 4 LP6s and some S1s from 4x4truckLEDs.com for my super duty.)

there is a distance difference that is noticeable on the XL80s and XL racers. If I was only running a single pair, I'd probably run the racers, but switch the lenses to combo yellows.

Great input! To be fair though, I don't have any local or even localish dealers for BD or Vision X so I can't see the lights in person. My brother in-laws and I chipped in on a pair of LP9's for my FIL sight unseen going off of BD's reputation and specs. They are truly amazing quality and the light out put is fantastic! Having said this, I've had quite a few cheap Chinese knockoffs installed on other vehicles and ATV's and have yet to have one fail even beating them to crap out in the bush, dunes, -45°C to +45°C (not as hot as 128°F though), blizzards, fully submerged, peppered by sand, rocks and salt. The powder coat is completely off of some of them, the lenses yellow within 2 to 3 years, the optics are nowhere near as good, they can't melt snow and ice off the lens on there own and color temperature really varies between diodes in the same light (evidence of low BIN LED's). But they all keep working (albeit at a much lower quality and light output) as do the BD lights.

I like to do as much research as possible based on others/my own experiences and gathering as much data and specs that I can. Especially when spending the amount of money that these high end lights cost.

Thanks for the warning about the a pillar lights shaking! I've never considered a pillar lights myself as I don't care for the look but I definitely didn't think about the mounts themselves not being sturdy enough to prevent shaking. Good to know!

Airflow is another great consideration. My climate is cold enough that I run a weather front for 7ish months out of the year so I don't worry about blocking my grill airflow. I also haven't had any change in temps with or without bumper mounted lights, but in a super hot climate it's definitely worth consideration.

you'd be amazed at how much of an effect the airflow limitation can be, even in cold weather, when you're banging the truck off the limiter for a couple of hours. the gen2s run hot from the factory and it isn't difficult to get them over 230 when bone stock.