Venison Burger = New Bumper, but what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last week I was driving along minding my own business when a deer decided to commit suicide by feeding itself to my Raptor. It was 6:30am and I was driving into the sun. Deer came out of the tall weeds of a steep ditch at the last possible second and I took it right in the license plate.

437d874e71b7638039296537e2b1d14f.jpg

f4962fe25b7471ffeecc6be1465f5817.jpg

Overall, not bad considering I had the speed control locked in at 65mph. Didn't even break any plastic. Just dented in the bumper good.

Well, I didn't think it was too bad, but the estimate on the repair put it at about $2200! :-O

Thank god for good insurance and now I have a good excuse to get an aftermarket bumper.

After looking the last week or two I'm currently looking at the Rogue Revolver or the ADD Honeybadger.

Price is about the same on both. Any thoughts from people that own either of these?

I've got some more specific questions, but I haven't got time to throw them up here at the moment. I'll throw them up, once I get a little feedback. That being said, I am leaning towards the Rogue at present. :)

D

Deleted member 12951

Was there absolutely no other damage other than the bumper and maybe the skid plate? We are selling our take off bumpers too cheap.....

Gensupt

Reaction score
Nothing a road armor number won't fix. I did the same thing a month ago.
11222-img-0083.jpg

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man that damage isn't bad at all for 65 MPH. I'm impressed with how it held up. I personally like the look of the Revolver bumper over the Hony Badger myself but I'm not too fond of the overly large bumpers. I think they take away from the look and function of our trucks but that's just my opinion.

Buckeyesvtraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with CBC but it's all personal preference. I have a stock bumper painted tuxedo black with skid plate I will let go for $250 plus shipping if interested. Otherwise I would go with the rogue bumper personally

elindley01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a Honey Badger, but ADD nonetheless. Can't speak to the Revolver, though. Going aftermarket, no matter the brand is the right idea. Definitely changes the appearance of the front in a more aggressive way. The added skid plate protection (depending on model) is nice too. Only problem making the swap will probably make you spend a lot more money than your insurance payout: lights, winch, matching rear bumper, etc...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438746736000.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438746736000.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 165
  • uploadfromtaptalk1438746751202.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438746751202.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 165
OP
OP
Harblar

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there absolutely no other damage other than the bumper and maybe the skid plate? We are selling our take off bumpers too cheap.....

Pretty much just the bumper. The lower grill is a little warped, the license plate bracket is bent, and the driver side tow hook may be tipped down just a tad. Nothing a few taps from Mr. Sledge can't fix.

The skid plate is perfect. I got a really good look at it as I was crawling around under it last night looking for a jump point... But that's a story for another thread. ;-)

Nothing a road armor number won't fix. I did the same thing a month ago.

I'll look into it, but it looks a tad heavy. I'm really looking for something a good balance between weight and strength.

Man that damage isn't bad at all for 65 MPH. I'm impressed with how it held up. I personally like the look of the Revolver bumper over the Hony Badger myself but I'm not too fond of the overly large bumpers. I think they take away from the look and function of our trucks but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I don't want it to big, but I also don't want it pre-runner minamalist either. The revolver looked like a good balance. The honey badger wasn't bad, but I haven't seen any side on shots and I have a suspicion it's got an underbite worse than Beavis.

I agree with CBC but it's all personal preference. I have a stock bumper painted tuxedo black with skid plate I will let go for $250 plus shipping if interested. Otherwise I would go with the rogue bumper personally

I appreciate the offer, but aftermarket bumper has always been on my to do list. This is just the excuse I needed! :)

Only problem making the swap will probably make you spend a lot more money than your insurance payout: lights, winch, matching rear bumper, etc...

Pretty sure that problem is not bumper specific and thoroughly detailed in the fine print of the Raptor's Owner Manual. Hahaha

So, when it comes to the Revolver, the top loop is setup for a 41.5" radius Led bar. At present I have a 30"/40" behind the grill combo. My plan, when getting a new bumper, was to bring the 40" out front. Does anyone know if a straight bar will fit there? If it does, how goofy will it look? The Revolver matches the front curve of the truck pretty tight so it might not even be possible. If that's the case, how do Rogue's bars compare to other makes of radius bars?

What about the winch option? Is this something that can be swapped on at a later point or is it, as I suspect, an option that needs to be welded in place during the fabrication of the bumper? I evtually want the winch, but will probably hold off on buying one for a little while.

The Revolver also has side panels that can either be open, dimple, or mesh. Are these swappable should I decide to go with a different look down the road? Same thing with the laser cut logo. Can this be swapped out should I decide to go with a custom cut piece later on?

Finally, one of the reasons I've held off on getting an aftermarket bumper so long is my state's requirement of having a front license plate. Anyone have any elegant solutions for that? I don't want to perma mount it nor display it in my window, so my plan at the moment is to fab up a bracket that will fit in the winch slot and be held in place either by magnets or a hitch pin. That'll work good for the time being, but might become impractical when I do get a winch so any better ideas are welcome.

I'd just as soon run without the front plate if I could. How hard do troopers really pay attention to this on off-road vehicles? Anyone been hit especially hard with fines for running clean on the front?

I think hat's about all I've got for now. :)

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
@Rogue Racing will be able to hook you up. I think, for your application and possible future deer encounters, the Revolver is your best bet.

elindley01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what state you're located in but Texas has cracked down on front license plates by changing the law so they can pull you over solely for that reason. Carries a $200 fine that's no longer a "fix-it" ticket.

This is what I use. Snaps right on to the fairlead rollers and holds very tight. Comes off easy if needed/wanted. I'm going to attach a security cable to it and my bumper just so my plate doesn't get used in an armed robbery.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438781603582.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438781603582.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 147
D

Deleted member 12951

My state requires a front plate. I haven't run a plate in front now for a year since I got the SVC Baja. Never been pulled over and the time I did get pulled over for speeding in my same state, nothing was said about no plate. I think it all depends on the cop that day and if they are in a good or bad mood.