GEN 2 Vehicle registration in Florida for your Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I weighed mine when I got it full of fuel and me in it (6’3 300lbs). 802a super crew all options but bead lock and carbon fiber.

43C82FBD-013A-4D05-AB28-512FF6907E7D.jpeg

Blockaderunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before this thread get's too carried away with theories, let me add my two cents based on my career as a State Trooper in Orlando, Florida for 13 years.

First, know that the Florida Highway Patrol is a Division of the state's Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. (Otherwise known as FL DHSMV).

Title XXIII of the Florida State Statues defines the DHSMV's law's of responsibility which is everything to do with the operation of motor vehicles (and mobile homes) in the State of Florida. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Index&Title_Request=XXIII#TitleXXIII

The Florida Highway Patrol is the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles enforcement arm for ALL of the law's defined in Title XXIII.

The Florida Highway Patrol is established by Florida State Statute Chapter 321 http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0321/0321ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2019&Title=->2019->Chapter 321

The GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) is a MAJOR factor that determines your Registrations expiration date.

FSS 320.055 Registration periods; renewal periods.—The following registration periods and renewal periods are established:
(5) For a vehicle subject to nonapportioned registration under s.
320.08(4), (5)(a)1., (6)(b), or (14), the registration period begins December 1 and ends November 30. The renewal period is the 31-day period beginning December 1. (The Ford Raptor falls under FSS 320.08(4) and unless you use the Raptor Commercially it is NONAPPORTIONED)

FSS 320.08 License taxes:

(4) HEAVY TRUCKS, TRUCK TRACTORS, FEES ACCORDING TO GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT.—
(a) Gross vehicle weight of 5,001 pounds or more, but less than 6,000 pounds: $60.75 flat.
(b) Gross vehicle weight of 6,000 pounds or more, but less than 8,000 pounds: $87.75 flat.

The GRW of my 2019 fully loaded Raptor is 7050 which falls under FSS 320.08(4)(b) Gross vehicle weight of 6,000 pounds or more, but less than 8,000 pounds.

Therefore, the registration for my
7050 lb Raptor Expires Midnight December 31st.

Five years ago, the State of Florida turned ALL of the Tag and Driver Licensing Offices in the state over to the individual Counties. Before that they were run by State Employee's. Now they're run by County Employee's and I can tell you that they make A LOT of mistakes that State Employee's knew better than to make.

Does it really matter if your tag expires midnight on your birth date or midnight December 31st? Nope.

Is the average COP going to know the difference? Nope. They're just going to make sure it's not expired.

Bottom line is this. If you have a privately owned vehicle with a GVW greater than 5,000 lbs, then it SUPPOSED to expire December 31st. Does it really matter if it doesn't? Nope. The State will make sure it gets it's money one way or another and that's all the State and Counties really care about.

Thanks for sharing your expertise on this.
As a retired public employee I can relate to the issues you mention and the bad decisions that got things to that point.
It was definitely one of the top reasons I got out at 27 instead of going for 30years. I was over the bs.