Uh crap. Wheel hub blew out (Integrated Wheel End, IWE)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
It was drivers side behind the arm. I was probably a little too rough when I was pulling on them to install my upper arm. I did order the whole set. Figured it's probably best to replace everything and make it all new while I'm messing with it.

Thanks!

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
It was drivers side behind the arm. I was probably a little too rough when I was pulling on them to install my upper arm. I did order the whole set. Figured it's probably best to replace everything and make it all new while I'm messing with it.

So is this the line that I left the weight of the hub assembly hanging by while doing my perch move?:sad72:

I hope I didn't facilitate a leak in my near future.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, of course! In theory... But then there's reality. Like 'stoner said, when we're 100miles 'out there', far far away from anyone and anything, and something like this breaks, that's not a good thing. There is no 'dealer' to call or manual to check. See what I mean? If something as simple as stopping to shift (something we all do anyway, since you can't go into ORM without being <5mph), then why not? And having 2 master techs suggest it as a sound preventative step? There might just be something to it.

Totally agreed there. I think I even asked about upgraded parts in this thread. The answer came back as 'no', stock is it for now. Hopefully the aftermarket catches up someday.

Fair enough. And that kinda goes back to my original honest question: if you don't have the time, why are you reading a thread that's all about tinkering and discovery? Why take the time to comment? Your comments feel kinda weird, especially when you back them up by saying you have no time for any of this stuff. The logical question for the rest of us to ask is 'uh well then why are you in this thread, since you don't have time for it...?' See what I mean? Almost seems like your comments are aimed at putting the rest of us down, for trying to take the time and learn. I'm sure that's not at all what you meant, but that's how it sort of came off. To me, at least.

As for 'why' I make the time for this stuff? Again, when I'm 'out there' *** miles away from anyone, I want to know whats happening with my truck. My lifeline home. The thing I'm trusting to get me and my family back to civilization safely. There was another example where my truck went haywire on me, but unlike this time, that time I *was* out there. Or, at least, almost out there. See here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/freak-accident-weakness-found-wheel-speed-sensor-7345/

The result of that? Again I learned what to look for should it happen again, and in that case the aftermarket did step up and produce a solution to prevent it in the first place (see here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f38/new-product-abs-sensor-shield-688/). Yeah my few days of being stranded sucked, but in the end I think lots of people benefited from it so it I think it evens out.

Bottom line is if this happens in a situation where I need to rely on myself to get me home, I now know how to do at least a first level troubleshoot, and I now know that I can leave her in 4x4 all the way out, and she'll carry me home safely. That's some good powerful knowledge, well worth the time its taken to uncover it.

All that make sense? Its not about worrying over this or that. Its about arming yourself with knowledge as the opportunities present themselves, so that you're better prepared to handle situations as they arise.

Um, yeah, I dont think my clarification clarified anything...LOL
I actually agree with you on all counts, so I dont THINK Im talking down to anyone here. Someone else actually stated something about not shifting on the fly anymore, and THAT post made me start thinking about the other threads like that. The vacuum line issue is actually something really good to know if that breaks, but if its your hub, then there really isnt anything you can do other than replace the part, and every time I go to the dealer and tell them its this or that, they look at me like I have ten heads, then have the tech go through his steps to find the problem AGAIN, and then call me two days later and tell me its the same thing I told them...thats my "whats the point of troubleshooting statement". Its a dig on Ford dealers if anyone.
As far as having time to post vs. time to work on my truck....just part of the job, I can do my job and keep production going from my desk and have time to surf the web and read through all the forums I belong to. I cant answer calls and get the same work I do at my desk done if Im under my truck...its not like I could be sitting here OR playing with my truck.....If I had that option, I wouldnt even belong to forums, I would be out driving!:peace:

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL we're good Dubbs. I hear what you're sayin.

One thing though: I also get that you-have-10-heads look when I start to pinpoint issues for my dealer. But the thing is, its not really about them; its about me and my confidence in knowing they're not about to bend my happy ass over a barrel.

For example, take my seat heater issue: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f10/2010-ford-raptor-seat-heater-drivers-side-hot-spot-9033/

If I'd NOT have known what was up, there's a very good real chance my truck would have burned to the ground one day (their words, not mine).

So while this time knowing what was up with the hub and telling the dealer so made no difference, that time with the seat heater made all the difference.

:peace:

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you look on page 4, my first response was quoting Wrench and Stoner after they were mentioning shifting on the fly...you can see where I took the bait on that comment so to speak. Also, my impression at that point was- good God, 4 pages of troubleshooting, and you end up punting to the dealer anyway...and then they take two days to figure it out as well,why not just let it be their problem? But my hope is you dont think (or anyone else) that I would fault anyone for wanting to accumulate more knowledge. The Vacuum line test is pretty cool to know. (and scary to think that alittle rubber hose could bring your excursion to a halt)

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

I just read your "heated" topic....LOL
Thats classic dealership ******** right there. Tell your service rep to drive for 30 minutes with you in the passenger seat, and if he turns it off, he has to get out and walk back to the dealership.
That is EXACTLY what Im talking about there. You just gotta shake your head and wonder.

Yup. I had two issues with my mustang and had the same kind of responses- I quit going to one dealership because their "SVT" tech highly trained and blah blah, first asked me if this car was supercharged? (it is a gt500, of course it is) because he didnt think ford had a tune out for a supercharged one.:supergay:

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh good on you?

Just out of curiosity, why take the time to read a troubleshooting thread if you never plan to troubleshoot? Why bother to reply to a post of suggestions if you never plan to take advantage of those suggestions?

Not trying to be a ****, but I don't understand what the point behind your post is. Maybe there is none?

x2 - not only that but I just have a natural curiosity to know how things work and tie together. Best way to do that in my opinion is to troubleshoot yourself not to mention it has saved me hundreds of dollars in the past by taking advantage of the knowledge on a great forum like this one.

KTM RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has now started grinding from the front passenger side. Its now in the shop so they can look at the Integrated Wheel End.

Here's a quick video of the pleasant noise..
th_IMG_0076.jpg

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, the teeth on the IWE sound like they are gonners.. I suspect contamination in the IWE cause diaphragm to be compromised causing dog (teeth) to grind.

-Greg