Uh crap. Wheel hub blew out (Integrated Wheel End, IWE)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WTF?

Hear how at the end it seems like it spools up and gets really loud and fast, even though my speed hasn't changed?

If I drop it into 4wd, the noise completely disapears. If I put it into 2wd, I get what you hear.

I have a buddy who's good at this stuff who is willing to take a look at it for me (I'm a software guy, what can I say?). Or, the other thought is, do you think if it is something related to the half shaft and/or front diff, would that be covered under the power train warranty? I'm at 37k (of course) so the bumper to bumper is done.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Here's another video from when it first happened. Was able to grab it as I was getting off and away from the busy road.

Last edited:

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Un-expert opinion: broken vacuum line.

Edit: leave it in 4hi and don't make any sharp turns. Sounds like the splines are getting galled.

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you put it in 4x4 does the engine still rev up like it did in the video?

Which end of the car does the clicking noise sound like its coming from?

When/how did you first notice it. Did it just start with no explination?

Generally when an engine spoools like that its slipping in the transmission thats doing that. But if it goes away in 4x4 there's reason to believe its not transmission.

I'd say you have something wrong with the t case or rear differential/axle. I think trans and engine is covered 5year/60k only. Are you good with your dealer? They may role your miles back on the paper work or convince ford to cover it since your so close to 36k still.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its definitely coming from the front driver's side tire area. What I can't tell is if its coming from the front diff, or not. I don't think so though.

It started by sounding exactly like a rock had found its way into the frame, and was ratting around under there, but only when the steering wheel was off center or more to the passenger side. Keep it straight or turn left, and no noise.

It's not vehicle speed dependant (I'm at 5mph or less in both vids, and the engine RPM was decreasing the whole time), its not braking dependant, and other than what I said above, it doesn't seem to be steering dependand (aka it doesn't get better or worse the more I turn the wheel).

I don't think its the transfer, transmission or rear axel. The noise is too far forward and to the driver's side.

Last edited:

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
It sounds to me like a front axle with seperated vacuum seal but I can't hardly hear the noise very clear with all the other noises going on around me. If its coming from the drive side and its probably not a rock in the brakes. First thing I would do it look over the driver side tire and you will see a vacuum line going into the hub I would pull the vacuum line off and drive see if the noise goes away. besure to stick a screw and plug off the vacuum line so you don't create a leak. If the sound goes away after disconnecting the vacuum line then My guess would be to hook up vacuum guage and see what you are pulling for vacuum, if you have a strong vacuum then The problem is probably the vacuum seal in the hub actuator.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds to me like a front axle with seperated vacuum seal but I can't hardly hear the noise very clear with all the other noises going on around me. If its coming from the drive side and its probably not a rock in the brakes. First thing I would do it look over the driver side tire and you will see a vacuum line going into the hub I would pull the vacuum line off and drive see if the noise goes away. besure to stick a screw and plug off the vacuum line so you don't create a leak. If the sound goes away after disconnecting the vacuum line then My guess would be to hook up vacuum guage and see what you are pulling for vacuum, if you have a strong vacuum then The problem is probably the vacuum seal in the hub actuator.
Ok. I think this is the line you're talking about?

attachment.php

It was attached firmly, there are no kinks or tears, etc. It looks just fine. I pulled it off, plugged it up and drove and the noise is still there in 2wd, and still gone in 4wd.

Does it matter that I had it in 4wd before pulling off and plugging the line?

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 4,175

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its definitely coming from the front driver's side tire area. What I can't tell is if its coming from the front diff, or not. I don't think so though.

It started by sounding exactly like a rock had found its way into the frame, and was ratting around under there, but only when the steering wheel was off center or more to the passenger side. Keep it straight or turn left, and no noise.

It's not vehicle speed dependant (I'm at 5mph or less in both vids, and the engine RPM was decreasing the whole time), its not braking dependant, and other than what I said above, it doesn't seem to be steering dependand (aka it doesn't get better or worse the more I turn the wheel).

I don't think its the transfer, transmission or rear axel. The noise is too far forward and to the driver's side.

Ok I thought the engine was actually increasing in rpm but the truck didn't accelerate. I think vacuum hose to hub or faulty hub or rock in the brake like others have said is a good possibility.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks a ton again guys.

So... we're all thinking this is not covered under warranty, right?

How else might I troubleshoot the vacuum line? My bud is on his way over, and we plan to put it on jack stands and start checking stuff out. Anything else to look/test for that might give more clues where to start tearing down?