Trying so hard to like the Gen 3 but.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will always be the next best thing when I comes to technology. I like what Ford has done in that aspect. They will sell these as fast as they can produce them.

pughde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 and plan on making a jump to the newer version at some point. I sold my 2010 6.2 because of age and desire for the latest technology. The 2021 would not be enough differences for me to make the jump. The V8 is tempting but the cost and ADM would be deciding factor. Milage might be considered, a 36 gal tank might give you 300 plus miles per tank. I have a gas hog now, with the possibility of gas prices going north in a hurry, 4, 5 or $6 a gal might create some doubt.

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a joke, they put some bigger tires and makeup on a Gen2 and call it Gen3, i’m not even thinking about getting one, the Raptor R rumors talk about a V8 but probably a price tag of the Ram TRX, better to buy basic F-150 V8 and mod it the way you want, heck - i even think about electric truck now, will be much faster than Raptor R or Ram TRX will ever be.

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will always be the next best thing when I comes to technology. I like what Ford has done in that aspect. They will sell these as fast as they can produce them.
Easily, the Gen 3’s will fly off show room floors. It will be my 4th Ford truck I have owned.

zhengyucoo

Reaction score
Exterior is still debating, but the inside is way way way more quality. I saw and touched few 2021 f150 platinum, interior feels way more refined and detailed, or maybe I'm just tired of my gen2.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I'm breaking each component of design down and I keep coming up Gen 2...I love some of the technology advancements and the 37's but correct me if I'm wrong...this is how I see it. There is no question the truck has plenty of new improvements from a functional stand point so I won't go into those.

Grille - Gen 2 - this new Grille just looks like it has less detail and thought. I get the minimalist design to be more 'modern' but it really looks like it's missing something. I could argue if I put both trucks in front of someone who didn't know which Gen was which, they'd pick the Gen 2 from just looking at the front as the newer model.

Lights - Gen 2 - new lights look so basic and plain, I'm not sure I can get over that. Gen 2 lights look more detailed, more thoughtful design and more menacing. Even the fender molding so nicely around the lights gives it a more pronounced look.

Hood Scoop - Gen 2 - again, they went so basic on the hood scoop. Less detail and even more like plastic now. I feel like they tried to compensate with this smaller looking scoop with the "raptor" stamp on it. As if the bean counters told them we need to save some costs here.

Fender Vents - Gen 2 - anyone else with me on the fact that the new fender vent is just too high up on the fender and looks out of proportion? Maybe it's because I'm used to staring at my Gen 2 vent being properly positioned/proportioned. I get the whole F-22 fighter jet thing, but I think that was a way to distance themselves from a "raptor" being an animal to minimize some of the cheesy easter eggs Dodge planted.

Tail-lights - Gen 2 - again, if you look at the detail around the bodywork of the Gen 2 taillight, it's molded with a design and has some nice lines that blend nicely with the whole truck. I also kinda like how the lights themselves have the little bulges and 3D detail in them. Not sure how the Gen 3 lights actually look in person but the blocking of colors in the lights themselves even looks a bit off to me. Also, the body line where the light inserts is just a straight line now, no curves or angles and less pronounced indent.

Rear Appliqué - Gen 2 - Again, it took me a minute to notice this but the Gen 3 appliqué is now just straight across line on the bottom edge with no angular detail. My Gen 2 (2020) has a nice angled cutout at the bottom that just adds a little design flare to the tailgate appliqué and looks less like an afterthought slap a piece of plastic on the back.

Interior

I won't go into too much detail here, but I do love the new interior, it looks to be more polished and finished but it also looks a little less rugged and off-roadish, if that makes any sense. I like my carbon fiber shift knob and a few other details I feel the Gen 2 still has the Gen 3 interior beat on, not in terms of quality or fit/finish just design and feel to match the trucks personality. The interior just has this confused "I want to be a Lincoln Navigator but I still want to be a truck" look to me. I'm sure it will grow more on me overtime.

Steering Wheel - Damn I really want to like that new steering wheel but again, it just looks less rugged and sporty. They even removed the perforated leather on the sides and the Raptor logo just doesn't look as mean or pronounced as it does on my Gen 2 wheel. My girlfriend was actually the first to point this out...

Anyway, not even sure why I took the time to write this, just really trying to put it in writing so that I can keep my want for "new and better" in check...lol.

Nice post and you really nailed it.

I prefer the drivers Guage cluster on the Gen2 because I like the analog tach and speedometer.

A lot of nice upgrades but the hood heat extractor looks like crap compared to the Gen2 as well as the whole front and rear design.

Just doesn't have that menacing look like the Gen2.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm breaking each component of design down and I keep coming up Gen 2...I love some of the technology advancements and the 37's but correct me if I'm wrong...this is how I see it. There is no question the truck has plenty of new improvements from a functional stand point so I won't go into those.

Grille - Gen 2 - this new Grille just looks like it has less detail and thought. I get the minimalist design to be more 'modern' but it really looks like it's missing something. I could argue if I put both trucks in front of someone who didn't know which Gen was which, they'd pick the Gen 2 from just looking at the front as the newer model.

Lights - Gen 2 - new lights look so basic and plain, I'm not sure I can get over that. Gen 2 lights look more detailed, more thoughtful design and more menacing. Even the fender molding so nicely around the lights gives it a more pronounced look.

Hood Scoop - Gen 2 - again, they went so basic on the hood scoop. Less detail and even more like plastic now. I feel like they tried to compensate with this smaller looking scoop with the "raptor" stamp on it. As if the bean counters told them we need to save some costs here.

Fender Vents - Gen 2 - anyone else with me on the fact that the new fender vent is just too high up on the fender and looks out of proportion? Maybe it's because I'm used to staring at my Gen 2 vent being properly positioned/proportioned. I get the whole F-22 fighter jet thing, but I think that was a way to distance themselves from a "raptor" being an animal to minimize some of the cheesy easter eggs Dodge planted.

Tail-lights - Gen 2 - again, if you look at the detail around the bodywork of the Gen 2 taillight, it's molded with a design and has some nice lines that blend nicely with the whole truck. I also kinda like how the lights themselves have the little bulges and 3D detail in them. Not sure how the Gen 3 lights actually look in person but the blocking of colors in the lights themselves even looks a bit off to me. Also, the body line where the light inserts is just a straight line now, no curves or angles and less pronounced indent.

Rear Appliqué - Gen 2 - Again, it took me a minute to notice this but the Gen 3 appliqué is now just straight across line on the bottom edge with no angular detail. My Gen 2 (2020) has a nice angled cutout at the bottom that just adds a little design flare to the tailgate appliqué and looks less like an afterthought slap a piece of plastic on the back.

Interior

I won't go into too much detail here, but I do love the new interior, it looks to be more polished and finished but it also looks a little less rugged and off-roadish, if that makes any sense. I like my carbon fiber shift knob and a few other details I feel the Gen 2 still has the Gen 3 interior beat on, not in terms of quality or fit/finish just design and feel to match the trucks personality. The interior just has this confused "I want to be a Lincoln Navigator but I still want to be a truck" look to me. I'm sure it will grow more on me overtime.

Steering Wheel - Damn I really want to like that new steering wheel but again, it just looks less rugged and sporty. They even removed the perforated leather on the sides and the Raptor logo just doesn't look as mean or pronounced as it does on my Gen 2 wheel. My girlfriend was actually the first to point this out...

Anyway, not even sure why I took the time to write this, just really trying to put it in writing so that I can keep my want for "new and better" in check...lol.

it is more of a gen 2.5 refresh then a full next gen. but i am happy with the incremental improvements.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Interior

If your criteria is simply external looks then I suppose you can make a case although I do not personally agree. Strange to ignore the amazing upgrades to...well...every single other component of the truck...you know...the stuff that makes a Raptor a Raptor. Scoops, vents, rear applique'...ok I guess if that's your criteria then it's a personal opinion but the Gen 3 is an upgrade worthy of the Raptor name and to ignore it is to bury one's head in the sand and ignore the amazing features of the new truck.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suspension upgrade alone makes the Gen 3 very attractive. More travel all the way around and coil sprung rear Gen3>Gen2. The exterior lines will grow on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc