Trying out plastidip..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionFatherhood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking my truck in next saturday to get my hood, roof, and tailgate plasti dipped. Im going to go with a red and have them darken it up a bit. I might have them do some small accents too, maybe the side decals or rings on my method rims. Im going to have the whole truck wrapped over summer but going to try this out for now to see the quality/look. Having it 'professionally' done.

I will post pics once they finish it! If you have any plasti-dip projects done post them up!!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Taking my truck in next saturday to get my hood, roof, and tailgate plasti dipped. Im going to go with a red and have them darken it up a bit. I might have them do some small accents too, maybe the side decals or rings on my method rims. Im going to have the whole truck wrapped over summer but going to try this out for now to see the quality/look. Having it 'professionally' done.

I will post pics once they finish it! If you have any plasti-dip projects done post them up!!

Not sure what you are going to pay to have it done, but for very little money you can buy the spray kit and do it yourself. It goes on real easy. go to www.dipyourcar.com and you can see all the options. My son and I did his Mustang last year and did my fender flares. Doesn't last nearly as long as a wrap but like you said, you can get an idea of what you want and just peel it off when your done. Good luck!!!!

Joe$

Reaction score
Not sure what you are going to pay to have it done, but for very little money you can buy the spray kit and do it yourself. It goes on real easy. go to www.dipyourcar.com and you can see all the options. My son and I did his Mustang last year and did my fender flares. Doesn't last nearly as long as a wrap but like you said, you can get an idea of what you want and just peel it off when your done. Good luck!!!!

I bought the kit also and sprayed my whole truck. It was fun and it turned out pretty good I think.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done some small parts and it has always turned out well. I like that if you don't like it or get tired of it you can just peel it off... or if you screw something up. :)

Joe$

Reaction score
:hitit:
Do you have any pics you can post up? what color did you go with?

I went with flex blue.
Here's my pics from my check in post. And hit me up if you got more questions.
so i've been a member since shortly after i bought my raptor new in november 2013. i have barely stopped driving this truck since i got it and i've been loving every second of it i've been using it for everything from my Daily driver to family trips to off-roading every chance i get.
Since i bought the truck I've been wanting to color change it so after much debate between paint, wraps, i ended up going with Plastidip and applied it myself because i enjoy putting in garage work and i love it enough that i plan on doing a new color in the next few months and i have done a few other jobs on the side.
i plan on going to 37" tires soon along with a bumper and some led lights and a bed cover.
Here's a few pics from right after the plastidip was done. There's some over spray that hadn't been cleaned up yet but I think you get the idea of what it looks like.

Then a couple more recent pics.

3BBA8D95-EEE7-4CA3-93C5-C1E37BFAFB6E_zpsovmxvsfa.jpg

C47D3701-CE41-479D-AA77-E977BE81E689_zpsoucdnghg.jpg

truckarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, Joe$. Did you apply adhesion promoter and how many coats did you put?

Joe$

Reaction score
Plastidip doesn't require adhesion promoting like some vinyls do. The surface must be very clean though. I did use a product called pre-dip spray as a final cleaner.
I can't really say how many coats I used because I dont remember but coat count will vary from person to person depending on how you spray. I did use almost 6 full gallons which is a much better way to judge coverage.