Truck Geometry - Levelling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vazo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious and wanted to here from people that were way more knowledgeable than me as I am new to these trucks.

If you were to raise the front using either perch collars or replacement springs, should the height increase in the front impact the height in the rear of the truck?

I am just trying to plan my how I am going to level my truck and have been debating if I should go with springs or collars. I don't want the truck to sit nose high and when I took some measurements it appeared that the eibach springs would definitely make it sit nose high.

So I decided to do a little test. I rigged a metal bar to fit under my front tow hooks, then used my floor jack in the middle of that bar to raise it 1.5", 2" and 2.5" and then measure the back.

I noticed that as i raised the front the rear would actually lower. So I then decided to support the rear by putting a jack stand under the rear hitch.

Now I realize there are a lot of variables in this but below is what I found:

View media item 14137

So as you can see from the chart without supporting the back the chart tells me that I could get away with a 1.5" perch collar and I could get a level truck but you will also see that as I raise the front of the truck the rear drops.

Now with the back end supported I noticed that as I raised the front the rear also crept up a bit.

Again, i realize this isn't fool proof but is this typically what happens when you raise the front end? Should raising the front end have an impact on the rear and if so what numbers above would be a close representation of what happens?

Thanks

Last edited:

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no mechanical genius by any means, in fact I'm the complete opposite, but from everything you listed above unless I completely misunderstood what you did it seems like some counter physics.

When you take weight away from the front of truck, AKA using a floor jack to lift the front, that pressure and weight has to go somewhere, which is the rear of the truck. So you're adding more weight to the rear of the truck which is pushing it down. Even when you added a jack to the rear of the truck, the more you take away from the front has to go somewhere, which I'm assuming was still applying pressure to the rear jack or the rear of the truck in general.

I may be completely off with everything I just said but that's the only thing that makes sense in my mind :p

From the countless amounts of threads I have read over the weeks, a 1.5 perch collar will not level it, and you'll still be riding with the rear a tad higher with some rake. I believe 2.25 is the magic number to get "leveled" if you're going the perch collar route.

If you go with Geisers/eibach springs without touching the rear suspension, you may be sitting a bit higher in the front unless you throw a pair of +3 deavers or option 1 Icons, which should get you about level.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1.5 front is nose down

2.25-2.5 front is pretty level

2.25 front with deaver +3 rear is a little nose down

3 front with deaver +3 rear is pretty level

I have personally run 1.5 front, 2.25 front, and 2.25 front with deaver +3 rear.

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2" will level the front. I'm running +2.5 in front and +1 in rear, and my rear is 0.5" higher (measured from ground to bottom of wheel opening) than the front, so still a little rake, which I like.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
By raising the front you are transferring weight to the rear. Transferring weight to the rear will lower it. If you corner weigh the truck before and after raising the front you will see a change in the weight distribution.

OP
OP
V

vazo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.5 front is nose down

I have personally run 1.5 front, 2.25 front, and 2.25 front with deaver +3 rear.
So are you saying that a 1.5" collar would actually lift the front end 1.5" and a 2.25" collar would lift the truck 2.25"?

And is that true for the eibach springs as well? If they are rated to lift the truck 2.5" do they actually do that.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So are you saying that a 1.5" collar would actually lift the front end 1.5" and a 2.25" collar would lift the truck 2.25"?

And is that true for the eibach springs as well? If they are rated to lift the truck 2.5" do they actually do that.

I would say the ACTUAL amount varies, I am speaking strictly from a visual standpoint.

The truck has very soft suspension and the stance can vary quite a bit unless you are parked on a level concrete slab.

Even the difference between an empty tank and a full 34 gallon tank can change the stance some.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I used the 2.25" collars from RPG, leveled out my truck.

Switched to Fox 3.0's and had them adjust the springs to keep me leveled.

It depends on your truck, but go with the 2.25" I liked the more pre-loaded springs for less brake diving

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have also read, it's better to go the spring route rather than perch collars as a lot of people who bought the collars did so prior to new springs coming out for the front. Would love to hear from some people that went from collars to springs or vice versa to hear if this is true.

BobbyP33

Reaction score
1.5 front is nose down

Between the three variants you’ve had, which one had the best ride quality? Did you even notice a considerable difference in ride quality between the three (I’m assuming those were all perch collars)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk