Transmission TSB 18-2274 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorTurboS

Reaction score
There was discussion on the forum within the last couple weeks about this latest TSB which is supposed to reprogram the powertrain control module for trucks built on or before May 15, 2018.

Just wondering what people's impression was after the update.

Currently my 2018 Raptor shifts very smoothly in normal mode. It does shift abruptly at times in sport mode and I've just accepted it since it does shift aggressively as it should when driving harder. I'm mostly in normal so it never bothered me. I switch to sport mode when I actually drive "sporty" so it matches how I'm driving.

Many 2019 owners who used to have 2017/18 models have been stating their 2019 shifts much smoother in sport mode.
Will this update make the truck now shift like the 2019's?

I'm assuming the only difference between the 2017/18's and 2019's is software differences.
My 2018 Escalade has the same 10 speed transmission and it feels like a completely different tranny than my 2018 Raptor. (It's silky smooth and the shifts are almost seamless as a luxury SUV should be.) So, again, I think it's all in the software programming differences.

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 w/ a 09/18 build date....assuming it has the update? Have about 2,200 mls on it so far so assuming it has learned my driving habits? Anyway Normal Mode is super smooth except when I "kick it down" then a little "klunky". Sport Mode shifts super hard!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following; your description of normal vs sport mode shifting is spot on for my 2018. I wonder if Ford didn’t release the transmission TSB because of a problem with the trans, but due only to the complaints of customers; it has been my understanding that the firmer the shift points are the safer it is on the transmission. I know its a different platform but on my 6r140 diesel, the shift firmness was neck snapping and not conducive for daily driving, but the firmness was there to protect the trans.

I too would like to hear from anyone with a 17/18 who had the TSB perfotmed and their impression with it before/after. Nothing would be worse than having it done to my truck and disliking the updated calibration with no way to go back, save for aftermt tuning.

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did TSB on my 17 and the new software Sport mode definitely shifts harder 1st->2nd putting around at <50% throttle. Heavy throttle feels fine, better, even.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 17' and had the update done about 3 weeks ago. H U G E difference in engine and trans operation.

I have a some what lengthy thread in the engine section regarding a miss/hesitation/surge under moderate acceleration. I work for a dealership and we did hours of data logging and recording trying to determine the issue only to discover it was poor programming on Ford's part.

Along with that my transmission has several quirks. Rough shifts both up and down. Seemed to hang in gear when you'd roll in the throttle then all of a sudden jump down a couple gears and bang in gear. Pull out in 3rd or 4th from a rolling stop (when the truck is cold) and then all of a sudden bang down to a lower gear.

The update took care of pretty much EVERYTHING. Transmission shifts great now. Smooth, precise, accurate and now down shift when I'm slowing so it always seems to be ready with the right gear when I start accelerating.

I can't believe the difference.

I have not run it in sport mode yet though

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had my June 2018 build date in a couple months ago when seat belt recall was being performed and told them it shifts rough. They said the update "didn't take" so they did update and yes shifts much smoother in normal and sport now.

nick71692

Reaction score
Got the update on my 18....huge difference. It used to slam into drive and all that has gone away. Overall the transmission is behaving much better.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine reflashed months ago, 2017 build. Harsh shifting with 1-3, 3-5. Downshifts 5-3 , 3-1. The reflashed worked great for a bit. Downshifts are at times harsh again . I sure hope ford continues to refine this transmission. Some have very smooth ones, others not so much.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 17. Called my dealer inquiring about the update TSB and was told no updates available. Guess I'll have to educate them some how

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have a 17. Called my dealer inquiring about the update TSB and was told no updates available. Guess I'll have to educate them some how

My dealer said the same thing when I called. All they do is check your VIN and see if there's anything listed under the VIN. You need to walk in with the TSB which very clearly states any F150 built before the May 15th date. That's what I did and they flashed mine, and it's a world of difference in sport mode.