Transmission thermostat bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. While I can see how this would “simplify” a “problem area”, I believe Ford designed this transmission to run on the hotter side purposefully. I’m not sure this would be a good idea unless you’re running hard every single day.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have pulled my Airstream all over the Western states and haven't experienced a hot transmission yet. I'll follow this thread for experienced responses. I might be interested but would need install instructions for sure.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have not towed much, but doing off roading in 100 degree weather, and going up the "Ike Gauntlet" my trans never has been above 195.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have this done on my gen 1. for 3 years my trans was overheating very easily. less than 10 min of offroading and the trans would overheat. nobody could pinpoint the problem. one of the trans shop suggested to do this. said he has done several of the 6r80 trans. i had every trans maintenence done before hand and still had problems so i said go for it. it works, and it keeps my truck cooler during offroading. now i get about 20 min before i overheat.the one down fall is that (for gen 1, not sure about gen 2) is that in cold weather you need to let the truck warm up a bit longer. i know that valve is meant to open once the truck reaches temp. it keeps the fluid in the trans until it heats up then opens the valve to allow the fluid from the cooler to pass through. so bypassing it and allowing the fluid to continually pass will take longer to warm up

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think Thermostat on my Gen 1 is stuck open it takes forever to get up to 190 . Except in summer time. I run Redline D6 trans fluid in transmission and transfer case . This may be worthwhile on a GEN2 if your running balls out. I never had high trans temps in any of my F150s . 205deg is max summertime temps i have seen . I have really never loaded them down in summertime either.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Found this by accident the other day . Its a bolt on thermostat bypass that allows full flow to trans cooler. I could see this helping in hotter climates . Gen 2 10 Speed only

https://revmaxconverters.com/product/10r80-transmission-cooler-thermostatic-bypass-upgrade/

IMG_0419-scaled-2.jpg

I have to wonder if #2 caused my transmission to, per the Dealer come apart, fail at only 26,*** easy driven miles.

"2.) There is no longer a thermal controlled bypass valve which can fail and cause lack of cooler flow and complete transmission destruction."