Transmission smoother after fluid exchange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having completed this project, declared victory, and cracked a beer in celebration, after-action wisdom needs to be imparted, particularly about refilling the transmission with fluid.

I measured 5.5 quarts from the drain and as aFe claims that their pan adds 7 quarts of capacity, I decided that the right course was to pour in 12 quarts and then check. Made sense to stop a half quart low, right? No. I wound up with about a half quart of expensive synthetic transmission fluid on the garage floor. As this is an unfavorable outcome, I consulted with Chris at FreedomMotorsports.

Chris e-mailed me the procedure. Yeah, there's a procedure. The manual for the 2011 Ford Mustang, which also uses the 6R80 transmission, says to add 3.3 quarts and then start the engine. Run the transmission selection lever through all gears, stopping at each for 5 seconds, put it in Park, and check the fluid level while it's idling. The effect is to burp all of the air out of the system that was introduced when it was drained. This is a cold transmission check. It says to add fluid until the fluid level is in the "A" range on the dipstick, and then you're ready for a hot transmission check.

To do a hot transmission check you have to drive the truck to bring the transmission fluid up to full operating temperature, which is stated as 190 degrees Fahrenheit. At that point you repeat the check with the engine idling in Park, and the goal is to put the fluid level at the top of the "B" range on the dipstick. Okay, that's the procedure.

This is what I learned. For the cold transmission check, do not fill above the BOTTOM of the "A" range on the dipstick. If you do, you'll have to remove fluid during the hot transmission check. I also learned that the claimed 7 quarts of additional capacity of the aFe pan is a bit high. I think it's more like 6 1/2 quarts.

So be conservative when you refill the transmission at first. What you ought to do is add about 9 quarts (3 per the procedure and 6 for the additional capacity of the aFe pan), and then do the cold transmission check before you drive it and add to the bottom of the "A" range on the dipstick. Drive it, and then do the hot transmission check and add fluid until the level is at the top of the "B" range. Again, all dipstick checks are done with the truck idling in Park on a level surface.

SAFETY NOTE: Bring your high pain tolerance with you. YOU WILL GET BURNED. There is no way to avoid burned knuckles because of the close proximity of the transmission filler/dipstick to the right side catalytic converter - not if you're doing this on the garage floor, and I think it's also unavoidable even if the truck is on a lift. If you wear gloves you will discover that the dipstick is frustratingly difficult to maneuver in the close confines you'll be working in. I used a leather glove to remove the cap and dipstick, but had to work bare handed to insert and remove the dipstick into the filler hole. As you have to do this multiple times to incrementally arrive at the proper fluid level, you will burn the same places on your hand more than once. As a result, you will be very glad when the project is complete.

I would say that this project is not for the faint of heart, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but a professional until aFe corrects the bolt hole alignment problem. Major kudos to Chris at FreedomMotorsports for the information, coaching, and support.

Any questions?

Attachments

• aFe11.jpg
    aFe11.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After a week of driving with the new aFe transmission pan installed, I have noted very different transmission fluid temperatures. With the factory pan the usual operating temperature was 197 degrees. It would warm up to 197 quite quickly, and then stay there. It never went above 200, not even when towing a heavy trailer across country.

Warm-up is much slower with the aFe pan installed. I think that's due to the considerably increased transmission fluid volume. Since the installation of the aFe pan, the transmission temperature seems to level out at 181 degrees. I haven't done any towing with it, but 181 seems to be the new 197.

UPDATE: Trans temp finally broke 190 yesterday after a 2-hour round trip drive to an adjacent town. It was at 191 when I got home - still 6 degrees lower than before.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I PM'd Chris at Freedom Motorsports yesterday to see if he'd ever been able to get aFe to respond to him concerning the bolt hole alignment and filter tube extension. He answered that he had never heard back from them.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger ... Great writeup.

Did you ever consider this >> http://store.sdhqoffroad.com/performanceautomaticlockingtransmissiondipsticksandfillertubes.aspx.

How about this pan >> http://store.sdhqoffroad.com/fordraptortransmissionpan.aspx

BTW ... I happened to call Mag-Hytec today and asked when they were planning to produce a trans pan for the Raptor and they said prob next year. I responded with "the raptor production just ended" and they told me Ford will continue to make that transmission so it's not a concern. So I hope they do make one next year.

Also, currently there is another member that is having issues with his AFE pan install >> http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/afe-transmion-pan-issues-37416/#post753150

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, 911. I did consider the Performance Automatic dipstick. I read reviews and ratings and decided against it because others have found that it is prone to leak, and I think I know why.

Two reasons: First, I think that the reason there isn't a traditional factory dipstick on that transmission is that when the engine isn't running and the fluid is not circulating, the fluid level is above the level of the pan-transmission housing mating surface where the dipstick port is located. That's what I think I discovered when I refilled the transmission after mounting the aFe pan. So when the engine is off the fluid will go up the tube of a traditional dipstick, and that's why Ford chose a very secure way to keep the fluid from leakage around the dipstick port.

Second, the Performance Automatic dipstick mounts to the firewall and not to the engine under the hood. That means that it is subject to continuous flexing as the engine/transmission vibrate and torque on the engine mounts with respect to the chassis and body. If you want something to leak, that's a good prescription. It would be much, much better if the dipstick mounted to the engine as you normally see with factory transmission and engine dipsticks. Performance Automatic chose to ignore that obvious consideration and relies on a semi-flexible tube to absorb the movement between the transmission and the body. And it doesn't always work very well according to those who have bought it and used it.

Well the thing costs a ridiculous amount of money for what it is, and I wasn't about to spend that kind of money on something that's going to be a serious enough problem that I'd eventually have to throw away and replace with the factory parts. I am dead sure that Ford's dipstick design right next to the catalytic converter has angered Ford mechanics all across the country, and like them I'm just going to burn my knuckles every time I service the transmission. BTW, my knuckle has almost completely healed now. It was a bad burn.

I do like that Performance Automatic pan! It's not nearly as deep as the aFe pan and would provide more ground clearance for serious off-roading. Not that the aFe pan is lower than anything else under the truck - the frame cross member ahead of the transmission and the exhaust cross-over tube behind the transmission are both lower - but the aFe pan almost begs for a transmission skid plate for those who do any rock crawling with their Raptor. I think that the aFe pan would be the superior choice for towing, and the Performance Automatic pan would be better for off-roading.

Last edited:

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to drill the pan when it is off and weld a **** to the pan for a drain hole? Just a thought...

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Big thanks to @Ruger for posting all the info. I ended up installing the PML pan due to the issues noted with the AFE pan and the reported lack of customer service from AFE. Absolutely zero issues installing the PML pan. The strength of the magnet on the included drain plug was undwhelming. Thankfully, PML was very responsive via email and sent me the specs of their drain plug so that I can order an equivalent size Dimple magnetic drain plug for my next fluid change which will be in another 30k miles. This initial fluid and filter change was done at about 50k miles.

Temperature-wise, I don't really notice a difference. The temps take longer to increase, but still stabilize around 197 degrees in ambient temperatures just under 100 degrees. I got the powdercoated version of the PML pan and it holds around 3 quarts over stock. I ended up adding about 10.5 quarts after initially draining about 5.5 quarts to get the ATF into the 'B' range for the hot fluid check. I just got one very mild small burn on the back of my hand as I was pretty prepared based on all the YouTube videos.

Last, I like that there's no filter pickup extension required for the PML pan. One less potential fitment issue and/or point of failure. The fluid I removed was definitely dark, but still had a red tint and didn't smell burnt. Did this service in addition to a transfer case fluid change along with adding a Dimple magnetic drain plug in the transfer case.

Still using Motorcraft fluids in the transfer case and transmission. Engine and both differentials are filled with Amsoil.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Vash, the temperature results you have documented here are a bit different than what I've experienced with the aFe pan. There's bound to be additional cooling because an aluminum pan is a superior heat sink than a sheet steel pan, and the "fins" on the aluminum pan provide a vastly increased surface area to aid in the dissipation of heat. Another advantage is the additional volume of transmission fluid.

Vash, could you post some photos of your PML pan?

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Checking that dipstick with a red hot exhaust is akin to playing that "Operation" game as a kid. Only this hurts like a mother ******.

MCR understates the matter. I still have the scars.

Last edited: