Transmission shifting down violently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Mine is still at the dealership and waiting to hear what they have come up with. Good to know about the shift solenoid.

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I experienced a rough downshift was when on the freeway and hitting the gas the pass someone. When the transmission downshifted, it would slam into the lower gear. It’s only happened a couple of times but it does get your attention.

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has done that. Always down to 3rd though. Even have to upshift out of it in manual mode because it won't upshift its self

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
Recently had 4 instances of shifting from 10th to around 5th running at 80. Very concerning as it felt like i was leaving the transmission on the highway. Took the truck into the Ford dealer and the tech could not replicate the problem. They agreed to install a computer that was hooked to a handle with a button that I depress and it records for a period of 30 seconds. Took the truck home (1 hour drive) and it occurred twice at around 85 mph. I hit the record button as it occurred. Now truck is back into the dealer and hoping to hear what they pull from the recorder.

Anyone with a similar problem?

I have a 17 (with 38k) and have experienced this at interstate speeds when downshifting from 9th to 8th. Just got the truck back from service. I had a slow transmission leak. Apparently these transmissions are very sensitive to fluid levels. My fluid level was low due to the leak. Once the leaks were replaced and the levels filled back to their specified levels I have not experienced the issue again. I will try to remember to report back if it crops up again.