Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Transmission shifting down violently

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by BC Sunset Texas, Apr 28, 2020.

1. BC Sunset Texas

BC Sunset Texas Member

Recently had 4 instances of shifting from 10th to around 5th running at 80. Very concerning as it felt like i was leaving the transmission on the highway. Took the truck into the Ford dealer and the tech could not replicate the problem. They agreed to install a computer that was hooked to a handle with a button that I depress and it records for a period of 30 seconds. Took the truck home (1 hour drive) and it occurred twice at around 85 mph. I hit the record button as it occurred. Now truck is back into the dealer and hoping to hear what they pull from the recorder.

Anyone with a similar problem?

2. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

I’ve seen similar to this reported on here before by other users.

3. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

Ford has a Technical Service Bulletin out on this that pertained to my GEN1. The abrupt downshift problem never happened to me, but the dealer checked my rig out, gave me a thumbs up, and extended the warranty on my transmission.

4. Ski1605

Ski1605 Member

My '18 2.7eb would, on rare occasion, kick down so hard the t/c light briefly illuminated and it felt like the tranny might actually fall out! The first one or two cold 3-4 shifts were also rather "firm". I never could find and answer or explanation. Waiting to see if my '18 Raptor behaves similarly...

5. uncc0:

uncc0: Full Access Member

Have my '17 in the shop now for cam phasers and a similar issue with the transmission. If I accelerate and let off of the gas and reaccelerate, it will abruptly shift and is very noticeable. Sometimes if feels like the transmission is about to drop out onto the road. They've previously flashed the TCM and also replaced some type of transmission control assembly (may be incorrect on the actual part - service records are with the truck right now), but the issue has persisted. Hoping that they can identify and repair both problems and I'll be back in action soon. I'll let you know what I learn.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  6. Flash1034

Flash1034 Full Access Member

I’ve heard of this happening on rare occasions.....hope they fix the issue.

7. MIScrEanT

MIScrEanT Member

I have had it happen a couple of times as well. Only in normal mode with all the gear skipping. I haven't had it occur in sport mode. Just out of curiosity what modes are you in when it happens?

8. BC Sunset Texas

BC Sunset Texas Member

I was in regular mode running at 82 with cruise on when it shifted down abruptly.

9. Flash1034

Flash1034 Full Access Member

Have you had Ford look at it? If so, what did they say/do?

thanks

10. uncc0:

uncc0: Full Access Member

Dealer tried a new TCM update on mine and there is still an issue between shift 7 - 9. They now plan to replace a shift solenoid, which has not been replaced yet. Fingers crossed.