Transmission : service writer said he wasn't going to change the filter??? Is this how ford rolls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dealer told me $250 to change filter and fluid. Charged me $80 to do the Tcase. He also said they've been told by Ford to save and re-use the trans fluid if there's nothing wrong with it for warranty work. He said he's not going to do that, and the dealer will cover it if they have to drop the pan for some reason.
You had a dumb service writer making promises. You have to drop the pan to change the filter.

NickW

Reaction score
Well I guess I better get involved here and probably step on my D I C K a little.

The service the OP was originally sold should really be called "fluid exchange" vs "flush". But due to semantics Fluid exchange sounds "cheap" while Flush sounds "technical".

This is interesting and makes sense to me. Especially when you consider the time it takes to do it the "old" way. Time is money and technology has come a long way so I can see where doing a flush with the method you described would be a good route to go. My only question is regarding the countless posts where people are claiming transmission problems after doing a flush. Is this likely the small percentage with a bad experience being the loudest? And people who do the flush without issue just aren't vocal because there's no issue? I'm at 70k and have not had a transmission service, but I did have my valve bodies replaced under warranty at 50k so I'd like to think they did not put the old fluid back in, but I have a hard time trusting places to do things correctly.

B and M locking dipstick worth it for this reason , install and get your level readings before your service , then do your service . Then you can add fluid to where you were before . I have same one on my Gen 1 and 2 . Redline D6 Fluid on both trucks as well . You can fill though this hose as well.

https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/bm-22200-locking-transmission-dipstick-for-2010-2019-6r80-10r80/

I had the same thought as this. Seems like a much easier way to refill back to the correct level, if you wanted to drop the pan and change the filter.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the version where you don't have to search for it, I'll paste it :p

"The use of external transmission fluid exchange or flush machines is not recommended for the automatic or manual transmission. Use of external machines to replace the fluid may affect the operation or durability of the transmission. Transmission fluid should only be replaced by draining and refilling following procedures in Service Information (SI). Refer to Automatic/Manual Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement."

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the version where you don't have to search for it, I'll paste it :p

"The use of external transmission fluid exchange or flush machines is not recommended for the automatic or manual transmission. Use of external machines to replace the fluid may affect the operation or durability of the transmission. Transmission fluid should only be replaced by draining and refilling following procedures in Service Information (SI). Refer to Automatic/Manual Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement."
I wanted them to see it was a real bulletin. Lol

OP
OP
thatJeepguy

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is interesting and makes sense to me. Especially when you consider the time it takes to do it the "old" way. Time is money and technology has come a long way so I can see where doing a flush with the method you described would be a good route to go. My only question is regarding the countless posts where people are claiming transmission problems after doing a flush. Is this likely the small percentage with a bad experience being the loudest? And people who do the flush without issue just aren't vocal because there's no issue? I'm at 70k and have not had a transmission service, but I did have my valve bodies replaced under warranty at 50k so I'd like to think they did not put the old fluid back in, but I have a hard time trusting places to do things correctly.

I had the same thought as this. Seems like a much easier way to refill back to the correct level, if you wanted to drop the pan and change the filter.
Indeed i was watching a vid and to drop that pan its insane, you even have to unbolt the trans mount and jack it up an inch or 2 , thats after your remove the cooler lines, the heat shield and place a kiddie pool under it. Thing is i looked up the filter and yes it has very fine filter media on the second stage which means flushing wont help at all if the filter is dirty.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something ive learned with auto trans.... dont touch the fluid unless somethings has gone wrong.. when trans starts to slip or have issues just rebuild it.
@FordTechOne ....do you agree with this? My transmission is getting new filter and fluid next week...but is it something that should be done or not? 141k miles on my raptor now