New Raptor Owner, Is The Truck SUPPOSED To Feel Like This?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you driving in sport mode or normal? You are going to feel those shifts more in sport mode. Although I love sport mode, I don't use it if I know I'm going to making frequent stops as the downshifting gets rather annoying.

OP
OP
LeadFoot42

LeadFoot42

Reaction score
Are you driving in sport mode or normal? You are going to feel those shifts more in sport mode. Although I love sport mode, I don't use it if I know I'm going to making frequent stops as the downshifting gets rather annoying.

Both, but yeah i definitely notice it more in sport mode. I think it's just me getting used to the 10-speed. Coming from the Mustang where I could just coast to a stop with the clutch pushed in, a 10-speed downshifting feels jarring I guess. Def not a dealbreaker or anything. I love the truck overall.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An updated calibration was released to improve shifting, it’s a TSB. If you get FSA 21B10 completed though you’ll get the new calibration regardless.
Couldn’t agree more with this. I hated the shifting on my 2018 when I first got it (bought it used). Don’t know how previous driver drove it, but adaptive shifting was horrible. I had dealer reset it and after learning my style it was completely different. THEN the TSB came out, went through that and it shifts perfectly now.

Side note - for a brief time I tried the Cobb transmission tune. It was amazing. But after the TSB I think it’s much closer to the Cobb tune.

andy556

Reaction score
Hey
I’ve a 2018 and had similar issues with selecting drive from reverse, I reset the transmission tables using FORSCAN, retaught the trans and all’s good now, very smooth

OP
OP
LeadFoot42

LeadFoot42

Reaction score
Hey
I’ve a 2018 and had similar issues with selecting drive from reverse, I reset the transmission tables using FORSCAN, retaught the trans and all’s good now, very smooth

Good to know, I'm having the PCM updated by the dealer to whatever the latest software is and I'm going to have them reset everything back to factory, in case there's a weird tune on it or if the previous owner "taught" the system some bad habits.

Sean42082

Reaction score
This may have already been addressed, but I took mine in last week. Leadfoot 2018. Mine was shifting as you mentioned and AC smelled like Vinegar. They kept it for 2 days, there was a software update for the transmission (not covered under my extended warranty cost was $150). It now shifts as it did on day one…buttery! AC smeeed good for a week, but it’s back to vinegar. Can’t win em all. Goodluck!

Hey all,

So I picked up my 2018 Raptor SuperCrew a couple of days ago. It has 35k miles on it. It was originally a manufacturer buyback for a valve/valve cover issue. I took it for a long test drive of course and, as it is my first pickup truck, it felt fine and I figured anything that felt odd to me was just it being a pickup and me not being used to it.

After a couple of days of driving I'm noticing a few things that are kinda odd. When coasting to a stop, like coming up on a distant intersection, the truck feels like it's "bumping," and that's the best way I can describe it. Like as it's slowing down, without the brakes applied, the truck is gradually slowing but then slows down more dramatically for half a second, and it does this repeatedly. It's almost feels like someone is gently pressing on the brake. Is this just the 10-speed transmission doing its thing? I'm already not super crazy about the transmission as it seems to do whatever it wants, and when shifting from reverse into drive I single dramatic bump in the cabin that is enough for my wife to look at me like I broke it.

There are a few other odds and ends that I've been dealing with, like the truck feeling more wobbly than I think it should. Perhaps I let all the reviews stating "Oh it's like riding in an S-Class it's so smooth!" get into my head but when driving on country roads it feels a bit like I'm in a rollercoaster.

Again, this is my first truck. I've ridden in plenty of trucks but never been consistently behind the wheel of one, which is a different thing entirely. Are these all just the quirks of it being a performance truck or are these issues I should be bringing up with the dealer? I don't know if the truck ever had the cam phaser / engine shudder / etc field service work done or not. They all appear on the carfax though and I've asked the dealer who is checking them for me to see if they were performed (I naively assumed that the dealer would do this work by default when reselling a used car but apparently not).

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Here's my truck.

View attachment 320895