Transmission : service writer said he wasn't going to change the filter??? Is this how ford rolls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The shop I use will do a new filter and fluids for me on my transmission for 130....I told them let's do rear diff and transfer case to...they said no problem, 300 for everything. They are great and very reliable and knowledgeable. So 2 weeks im getting my gen1 handled. I'm just going to go with exactly what ford recommends for fluids even though I always have used other fluids in my M3.
When things are to cheap I get scared. $130 for pan off transmission service. Just fluid, filter and gasket would be close to $100 (shop cost not retail)

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When things are to cheap I get scared. $130 for pan off transmission service. Just fluid, filter and gasket would be close to $100 (shop cost not retail)
I'm really good friends with them, I live in the country, they're not charging some bs 150 plus an hour for labor. Some businesses believe in making a profit still and not highway robbery.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B and M locking dipstick worth it for this reason , install and get your level readings before your service , then do your service . Then you can add fluid to where you were before . I have same one on my Gen 1 and 2 . Redline D6 Fluid on both trucks as well . You can fill though this hose as well.

https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/bm-22200-locking-transmission-dipstick-for-2010-2019-6r80-10r80/

View attachment 417142
I used redline in my M3. I would love to use that on my Gen1 .....anyone ever had an issue with not using ford fluids in the tranny diff and transfer case?

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great in-site and thank you. It makes a lot of sense. But I also work a lot with filters in the business I'm in specifically fluid flowing through them. And can tell you when the efficiency of a filter goes south as much as 15-20 % there is a greater load on the pumping equipment which causes after effects like increased seal friction and load on motors. Believe me I wish i could just exchange fluid and be in good confidence but theres a reason the 10R80 has a filter in it. Filters need to be clean and free if debris . Hell my a/c stopped blowing cool yesterday cause the mexican landscaper blew mulch in/on the damn condenser coil and clogged it up.
I agree with this and the filter in the tranny or the dumb flush machine only filter to a certain level. Say, 5 microns so all the particles smaller build up in the system or flush machine.
The drain plug would great as you could easily catch and measure what you drained and add that much new.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used redline in my M3. I would love to use that on my Gen1 .....anyone ever had an issue with not using ford fluids in the tranny diff and transfer case?

Nope Redline D4. MERCON 5. . currently in my gen 1 75000 miles ago. D6 In my gen 2. For 7000 miles now. Both transfer cases have D6 .

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope Redline D4. MERCON 5. . currently in my gen 1 75000 miles ago. D6 In my gen 2. For 7000 miles now. Both transfer cases have D6 .
Decisions.....I love redline...my M3 really was great...and swapping to redline which maybe it was time to do fluids anyways it truly shifted better. I had a conforti shark injector that helped as well.. E36 99 model M3 artic silver....by far my favorite car ever. Do you recall how much the fluids were to do tranny..diff..and transfer case?

OP
OP
thatJeepguy

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice! Redline is known for ester based and high quality synthetic type 4 crank case oil. I wonder if they have similar high quality formulation for
Transmission.

OP
OP
thatJeepguy

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with this and the filter in the tranny or the dumb flush machine only filter to a certain level. Say, 5 microns so all the particles smaller build up in the system or flush machine.
The drain plug would great as you could easily catch and measure what you drained and add that much new.
For sure. Nit to take away from
What @Old-Raptor-guy said . I am just speculating . Perhaps my conventional knowledge is flawed in relation to transmission fluid.

wingrider75

Reaction score
My dealer told me $250 to change filter and fluid. Charged me $80 to do the Tcase. He also said they've been told by Ford to save and re-use the trans fluid if there's nothing wrong with it for warranty work. He said he's not going to do that, and the dealer will cover it if they have to drop the pan for some reason.