Transmission rebuild cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He mentioned a tsb about the sleeves in the transmission getting messed up.

The only thing that has ever been done to the truck transmission wise is they reset it and got rid of the learned behavior junk.

I’m tempted to pick up the truck and drive it as..
“Sleeves getting messed up?” Not sure what you’re referring to.

The adaptive learning is not an issue unless you drive erratically or bought it used.

OP
OP
flatwater17

flatwater17

Reaction score
“Sleeves getting messed up?” Not sure what you’re referring to.

The adaptive learning is not an issue unless you drive erratically or bought it used.

The truck would also slam into drive when I shifted from park or reverse.

They initially said that was due to the adaptive leading as well. And that issue came back a couple weeks later.

I drive my truck like a grandpa compared to most so I am not sure the adaptive learning is to blame.

Sounds to me like I should just pick it up from the dealer and put some miles on it..

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Some early 2017’s exhibited harsh shifting or erratic shifting. There’s a TSB for that, - or is that a service memo ( @FordTechOne ? )

My Rap was one that was ‘held for additional QA’. When delivered it had almost 200 miles on it, and the dealer, fearing I’d back out of the deal, left me the FMC ‘punch list’ of repairs they made. There was at least one reprogram.

I never had harsh shifting, although I would not call it ‘gently’ shifting into any gear. Smooth? Yes, but not gentle. That said, it’s a truck, with 35 inch tires, weighing in at a conservative 5700 pounds, with a bunch of torque. I think it shifts just fine now, but at first, I had a problem in which the truck would only downshift at full throttle above 40mph. It’s easy to miss at first. The truck would just dump all 18 or so PSI of boost and that was that. Unless you were trying to merge on to an interstate, and then it was nowhere near fast enough. Sport mode worked fine, but eco ‘normal’ mode was dangerous.

Fortunately, I heard about the harsh shifting reprogram ( on here ). I asked for it on a routine service and the the Tech wrote “checked TCM program, up to date”.

Took it back, only for this and they replied “you didn’t make a complaint to make you eligible for the reprogram” After some discussion, they agreed. Problem solved. Mostly anyway. I think it’s still way too lazy in normal mode but at least now it downshifts over 40 without full throttle.

I still think these symptoms match nicely with an overfilled transmission. I’d get it checked out independently or at another stealership first.

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2017 with the exact same symptoms, especially the hard shift from Park to Drive or Reverse. I also had some skipped shifts and failure to downshift when stopping at a light or parking. I would be in 4th gear, come to a complete stop, and it would still be in 4th gear, things like that. They did replace the valve body at one point when it was under warranty, but I still had issues off and on until I added an MPT tune.

If you don't have a tune, I would recommend trying that first as I think most of the issues are with the software. After I flashed the MPT tune on my 2017 the "hard shift" issue from Park to Drive immediately disappeared and I never saw the issue again. Cobb makes a great tune as well, but the MPT is by far the more affordable option if you just want to try that to see if it fixes your transmission issues. You can reflash it at any time in just a couple minutes if it comes back. As a bonus, it can add like +70HP if you run 93 octane fuel. You can tune it for any fuel, however, and you will still get the transmission tune.

MGRaptor

Reaction score
I've been having a similar issue with my 2017 SCAB . Truck has 61k miles now and I purchased the truck new (no prior trans work done). For the past few months hard shift into Drive only & lurching forward. I recently noticed occasional rough downshift around 4th gear. Took it to dealership last week for a "service manager ride along". Dealer says he's 90% sure it just needs an adaptive trans software update. Truck also throwing out a SSM 48563 code which they think is related to trans software update as well. I asked them to check the trans fluid level and they said it was not necessary. No openings in the shop until end of August when they will do the software update and check fluid level (at my request). Fingers crossed nothing major happens before my service appointment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
flatwater17

flatwater17

Reaction score
Quick update. I talked to the tech I know at the dealership. He agreed it might just have been overfilled. He reset the adaptive learning and also disabled the adaptive learning after it was back to factory settings.

I drove it all day and no issues so far.