Transmission rebuild cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatwater17

Reaction score
Long story short it looks like I need to rebuild the transmission or replace it. 2017 with 70k miles. What should I expect to pay for a rebuild on these 10 speed transmissions? I want to go into the conversation with my local dealer armed with a little knowledge of what others have paid.

Thanks!

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to dealer rates, but the transmission itself at an independent shop is about a $6,000 job. That's for a stock replacement including labor on a regular F150 of the same vintage, so a raptor should be close. You can get pretty beefy 10R80s for around $8,000, but add labor and fluids.

OP
OP
flatwater17

flatwater17

Reaction score
So a few months ago, the truck was at the dealer.. It was skipping fourth gear and down shifting hard, and when you put it in drive, it would clunk really hard. I had the transmission reprogramed, but after a week it went back to doing the same thing.

Last week I was on a road trip… on down the highway with cruise control on and all of a sudden the transmission made a weird noise and started jumping from 10th gear to sixth gear and all the gears in between sixth and 10th. I looked behind me and saw smoke coming from under the truck so I pulled off the road and a considerable amount of transmission fluid was leaking on the exhaust. But my transmission temp never got above normal.

Dealer says the fluid level looks normal and believes the fluid came from the vent. They did confirm it did not overheat. And they also checked the warranty information on the truck to see if the transmission had ever been worked on it and it had not. They said there is a TSB out for this and I need to either rebuild or replace.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds odd to me that they are suggesting to rebuild or replace the tranny. As @Nex said above, did the dealer service the transmission?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So a few months ago, the truck was at the dealer.. It was skipping fourth gear and down shifting hard, and when you put it in drive, it would clunk really hard. I had the transmission reprogramed, but after a week it went back to doing the same thing.

Last week I was on a road trip… on down the highway with cruise control on and all of a sudden the transmission made a weird noise and started jumping from 10th gear to sixth gear and all the gears in between sixth and 10th. I looked behind me and saw smoke coming from under the truck so I pulled off the road and a considerable amount of transmission fluid was leaking on the exhaust. But my transmission temp never got above normal.

Dealer says the fluid level looks normal and believes the fluid came from the vent. They did confirm it did not overheat. And they also checked the warranty information on the truck to see if the transmission had ever been worked on it and it had not. They said there is a TSB out for this and I need to either rebuild or replace.
There is no TSB for that. I’m guessing you bought it used? The only reason it will vent fluid is from being overfilled. Meaning it was previously serviced and the fluid level was not properly set to the correct level.

OP
OP
flatwater17

flatwater17

Reaction score
There is no TSB for that. I’m guessing you bought it used? The only reason it will vent fluid is from being overfilled. Meaning it was previously serviced and the fluid level was not properly set to the correct level.

He mentioned a tsb about the sleeves in the transmission getting messed up.

The only thing that has ever been done to the truck transmission wise is they reset it and got rid of the learned behavior junk.

I’m tempted to pick up the truck and drive it as..