GEN 2 Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
notes: 2018, MPT 93perf tune, 37BFGs, 53k miles, I have extended ford factory warranty

Have never had any transmission/shifting issues until last night. I was driving on the interstate ~70mph & went to pass a vehicle and vehicle shifted from 10 down to 8 and it was like the clutch was engaged...vehicle would not accelerate until it(or I manually) shifted it down.

This issue was also in 9th gear and the shifting from that point forward seemed to be really rough and it went between feeling like clutch was engaged to being locked. Once I realized it was having an issue I began trying to manually run it through the gears and also let off throttle and accelerate to see if it was a one off thing. It continued entire trip and all shifting seemed rougher from that point on.

After I got home I retuned my truck and tried it again. Seem a little better, but still not normal.
Drive into work this morning truck still shifting rougher and not normal but better than the trip last night.

I've not called the dealer yet to ask them about it, they've done my cam phasers twice & are tuner friendly...

Any recommendations on what to do next? Change trans fluid? reset my TCM via forscan? Take to dealer now?

***I have not changed my trans fluid, the manual says 150k miles(seems extremely high).

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mmayo

Based on my experience, I would recommend you take it to the dealership, shoot them straight/honest, and describe exactly what occurred. You know best how the truck is normally used and performs.

Given that you say they are “tuner friendly” perhaps they’ll be friendly regarding the tire size and any other mods.

Hopefully it works out well and is a minor issue.

OP
OP
mmayo

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I looked at the truck again & see fluid underneath...trans temp was never high....to the dealership I go.....

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no such thing as “tuner” or “mod” friendly when it comes to issues that are directly attributed to the modifications; that’s called warranty fraud. Your tune and larger tires put a lot more torque and load on the transmission than it was designed for.

Depending on the DTCs set and the root cause found during teardown, the issue may or may not be warrantable. If a valve hung up in the main control or a shift solenoid failed, that should be covered. But if they find burnt clutches with no sign of a TCM or main control issue, that will most likely be attributed to your modifications.

I agree with KAH24; be honest, explain what happened, and see what their diagnosis determines.

OP
OP
mmayo

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as “tuner” or “mod” friendly when it comes to issues that are directly attributed to the modifications; that’s called warranty fraud. Your tune and larger tires put a lot more torque and load on the transmission than it was designed for.

Depending on the DTCs set and the root cause found during teardown, the issue may or may not be warrantable. If a valve hung up in the main control or a shift solenoid failed, that should be covered. But if they find burnt clutches with no sign of a TCM or main control issue, that will most likely be attributed to your modifications.

I agree with KAH24; be honest, explain what happened, and see what their diagnosis determines.

First off, appreciate your direct past help to me and others here on this forum.

By "tuner friendly" I meant they'll actually work on my truck when I've told them its tuned... I've had some dealers in the past refuse to touch my diesel trucks that I've deleted/tuned, and others who would work on them, so that's all I meant there. I certainly am not looking to do "warranty fraud"

I checked my DTCs, I had none.

Dealership trans guy is a month out....I'll take it to another one & let yall know what the issue is

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off, appreciate your direct past help to me and others here on this forum.

By "tuner friendly" I meant they'll actually work on my truck when I've told them its tuned... I've had some dealers in the past refuse to touch my diesel trucks that I've deleted/tuned, and others who would work on them, so that's all I meant there. I certainly am not looking to do "warranty fraud"

I checked my DTCs, I had none.

Dealership trans guy is a month out....I'll take it to another one & let yall know what the issue is

To clarify, I certainly wasn't implying that you were looking to do anything unethical. As I've mentioned in the past, there is no reason any dealer should refuse service for a modification that is unrelated to the concern/failure. Unfortunately there are some dealers will promise the world, and when it comes down to it everything backfires on both them and the customer when corporate finds out.

Keep us posted on how things go, hopefully it's nothing major!

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I certainly wasn't implying that you were looking to do anything unethical. As I've mentioned in the past, there is no reason any dealer should refuse service for a modification that is unrelated to the concern/failure. Unfortunately there are some dealers will promise the world, and when it comes down to it everything backfires on both them and the customer when corporate finds out.

Keep us posted on how things go, hopefully it's nothing major!

@FordTechOne
@mmayo

Agree 100% with Ford Tech.

I interpreted "tuner friendly" incorrectly. Please note that tuner/mod friendly only applies to the dealership eating costs regarding warranty claims for mods.

For legal clarification—any modification is subject to review. Drivetrain components are expensive—and warranties (factory, OEM extended, aftermarket extended) describe in detail what is/is not covered.

If the dealership fixes damage caused by mods—great and fine (now that is tuner/mod friendly). Better yet, the tuner and/or the company who paid for any mods (including larger diameter tires) should reimburse the dealership through a set process.

OEM owes nothing for a vehicle that has any modifications that could be related to damage that occurs. If escalation occurs—the answer will be NO by any OEM who wants to stay in business vs. paying warranty aftermarket claims for modified vehicles.

Honesty is indeed the only policy.

NOTE: Unflashing tunes to stock parameters is the easiest thing to capture—which of course renders everything else into question.

Last edited: