Transmission Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm planning to get a fluid exchange done on the tranny next time I take it in for an oil change, what type of fluid does the 10 speed use? This is an early 2018 build.

lardog

Reaction score
Mercon ULV, a transmission fluid specially designed for the 10-speed transmission, follows the trend of ever-thinning viscosity experienced by transmission fluids and engine oils across the board. Considering that the viscosity of most transmission fluids fall between 6-7.5 centistokes, Mercon ULV’s 4.5 centistoke rating is impressive. Reducing both friction and risk of hydraulic pump overload, the fluid (combined with a new generation of filter) plays a key role in regulating temperature and efficiency. It is also designed to last the life of the transmission.

lardog

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you believe fluid will last the life of the transmission, I’ve got some fully synthetic blinker fluid to sell you.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you believe fluid will last the life of the transmission, I’ve got some fully synthetic blinker fluid to sell you.

My 95 C1500 had the same fluid in for 150k miles, and was doing great. Stupidly let the dealer talk me into a full flush over drain & fill, and the truck never shifted as smoothly again. Still doing fine at 210k now, but given how oil has tripled in longevity in the last decade, I would be hard pressed to not think the same applies for transmission fluid.

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 95 C1500 had the same fluid in for 150k miles, and was doing great. Stupidly let the dealer talk me into a full flush over drain & fill, and the truck never shifted as smoothly again. Still doing fine at 210k now, but given how oil has tripled in longevity in the last decade, I would be hard pressed to not think the same applies for transmission fluid.

That's because you went too long to begin with. If you go that long, you're on borrowed time and likely the only thing keeping from slippage is the excessively dirty fluid giving you just enough friction between the clutch packs to work. Regular changes and that isn't an issue and tranny will be far happier. Even the fordtechmeculoco (a ford tech if you're unfamiliar) channel says the fluid change intervals Ford advertises are complete BS and that they've started walking back the lifetime fluid claims on some parts/cars

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's because you went too long to begin with. If you go that long, you're on borrowed time and likely the only thing keeping from slippage is the excessively dirty fluid giving you just enough friction between the clutch packs to work. Regular changes and that isn't an issue and tranny will be far happier. Even the fordtechmeculoco (a ford tech if you're unfamiliar) channel says the fluid change intervals Ford advertises are complete BS and that they've started walking back the lifetime fluid claims on some parts/cars

It had that many miles on the fluid when I got it...my cousin neglected it. That said, pretty sure my dad's bronco was on original fluid, and made it 250k before the clutch needed a rebuild. And that rebuild was due to excessive wear from teaching my sister how to drive it. I've seen a number of other pre-2000 vehicles with pretty high mileage (over 150K) doing just fine on old fluid. Not saying you should go that high between refreshes, just saying I've seen it.

Manual says 150k, which seems right to me. I've seen enough of that tech's videos to not pay him much attention.

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We'll have to agree to disagree here. He appears to know what he's doing to me. He isn't the only one that calls shens on "lifetime fluid" in fact, I've yet to come across any personal mechanics I know or the ones with YouTube channels that doesn't think it's BS.

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Dealer convinced me to do a fluid and filter change at 100k service on my GEN1 and shifts went to crap immediately. I have 210k on it and will drive it until it grenades, will put in a new factory built tranny then, same with the GEN2.