Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going 70-75 most of the time. I did shift down to 5th quite a bit especially going up hills. Yes the T/H is a great addition.

the speed is huge, when i pulled at 70-75 i got 8-9 mpg last yr, on a 150 mile trip.
how about the tire sway? that with the mpg gets better after about 7-10,000 miles.

OP
OP
MTUH3

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I towed my H3 from to and from up north now a couple times. Cruised in 5th and 6th gear at 75 mph most of the trip. rarely dropped to 4th. I left it in TH mode, I did tow once using TH mode to get up to speed, then switched out. Got closer to 10 mpgs with similar shifting

Raptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the speed is huge, when i pulled at 70-75 i got 8-9 mpg last yr, on a 150 mile trip.
how about the tire sway? that with the mpg gets better after about 7-10,000 miles.

Very little sway on the trailer. I have a weight distribution hitch and it works wonders.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I towed my H3 from to and from up north now a couple times. Cruised in 5th and 6th gear at 75 mph most of the trip. rarely dropped to 4th. I left it in TH mode, I did tow once using TH mode to get up to speed, then switched out. Got closer to 10 mpgs with similar shifting

i like it for its trans brake, seems to work allot better then what i remember it did on my f350. does much less searching for gears when hauling down the road also.

SoCa

Reaction score
Good stuff! Thanks for posting! You probability have more experience than anyone posting so far. Thinking your GTO and trailer probability weighs in over 9000 lbs. I am thinking about a 34' travel trailer bout 9000 lbs wet, 1000 lbs tongue weight, pulling behind same 2013 crew cab raptor. Looking at the Daystar airbag and the RPG stage 2 with the 4" stops. Cost is not so much the issue, ease of set up, stability and quality of ride are the main concerns. Love the ride of the stock suspension, hate to lose that increasing payload. You thoughts would be appreciated.

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good stuff, I have only towed about 2000 lbs so haven't had the requirement for bumpstops or anything.

Jordan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need help with towing questions.

So I've been reading a lot of threads about towing on the site and I'm just wondering if you guys would be willing to throw out some layman's terms answers. I'm new to towing.

I have a 2008 nissan Xterra that I have modified for wheeling and am looking to get a car hauler for it but I'm worried that the Raptor won't handle it.

The X weighs about 4400 lbs and will likely gain some weight soon with the addition of a bumper, winch, and rock sliders. I would be towing with my family of 4 in the truck.

I'm looking into an open car hauler, double axle, wood and steel. Can't afford the aluminium ones.

So, does anyone know how much those trailers weigh and will it be too much for the Raptor (4 door)?

Will I need to upgrade the stock hitch?

Will I need a weight distribution hitch?

Can I pull that without adding things like bumpstops?

Anything I may not know to ask, please answer for me.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I have towed 9000lbs on my scab. Pulls like a dream. Upgrading to nationals makes a big difference. Softer and better leafs somehow sag less and take the load better lol.

OP
OP
MTUH3

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Towed this with about 1-1/5" of clearance to the stock Bump stops.

I would say all totaled I was 7000 to 8000 lbs

421779_877279288177_1722962354_n.jpg

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trailer weight is on almost every trailer you purchase.
8000 is max listed towing for a crew cab but ive seen some heavy loads here.
for sure get a weight distribution hitch.
the 6.2 has plenty of power and tows very well when setup correctly.
i have a rpg bumpstop kit to ease my mind when offroading and towing.

xterra, for real your going to pull that around with a raptor for offroading? thats just wrong!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc